Author Topic: correct finish on kickdown bracket  (Read 881 times)

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
correct finish on kickdown bracket
« on: February 11, 2012 - 07:43:03 PM »
Can anyone tell me what the correct finish is supposed to be on this bracket?

This piece slides onto the U shaped pivot that is attached to the throttle bracket on the intake.  Then the kickdown linkage bolts to it.  Right now it's painted a bare metal color.  I need to know if it is supposed to be bare metal...engine color...or zinc plated.  I don't know if 340's in 73 used a similar bracket or if this is just a 318 part.  Thanks

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
Re: correct finish on kickdown bracket
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012 - 10:18:50 PM »
I'd say bare, mine has been cleaned a few times but nothing that should have removed any plating yet it rusted more than most of the metal in the area

Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012 - 12:05:10 AM »
That's not a pic of your engine right?  The air cleaner is black.  It's kind of hard to tell in that picture if it's natural or plated.  Zinc plating back in the 70's didn't look very bright compared to zinc plating today.  Looking at the throttle cable clamp and the bracket from the pivot to the carb...they look to be close to the same finish.  Both of those pieces were zinc plated I believe.  I guess if they've been cleaned, the original finish could have been lost.

The yellow paint on the kickdown linkage is interesting.

Offline hooD

• detroit iron
  • Resident
  • Motor City Made Muscle
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012 - 03:57:12 AM »
this ia a picture of mine....it has never been altered except by age.  I would agree with bullitt and say it was bare.   you could always clear coat it so it doesn't discolor from heat and age.
I have the same yellow paint on my kickdown linkage too!

« Last Edit: February 12, 2012 - 04:00:15 AM by hooD »
-Larry
member since AUG 2007
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvrWiLgDm7Y

southeastern michigan usa

1973 'CUDA 340

original owner
37,117 miles

:grinyes: *click my E-Body* :grinyes:

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012 - 05:49:44 AM »
That's not a pic of your engine right?  The air cleaner is black.  It's kind of hard to tell in that picture if it's natural or plated.  Zinc plating back in the 70's didn't look very bright compared to zinc plating today.  Looking at the throttle cable clamp and the bracket from the pivot to the carb...they look to be close to the same finish.  Both of those pieces were zinc plated I believe.  I guess if they've been cleaned, the original finish could have been lost.

The yellow paint on the kickdown linkage is interesting.

That's my '73-340, the air cleaner is from a '68-383 a buddy gave me way back when. The Flat Bar going to the carb I believe must be plated as there is little rust even where it rubs on the carb stud but you do see rust along the edge. The Kickdown Rod with the yellow paint appears to be plated as well (I see evidence of yellow on hoods as well). In person the item in question where not rusty seems a little shinier than those two (why it's not all rusty may be testament to some type of plating) , in the picture there is lubricant making all of them look shinier than they actually are. 
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012 - 09:50:10 AM »
Sounds good...it will be left bare metal and coated with RPM.  Thanks guys!

Is the 340 kickdown rod one piece like my 318?  Is the number cast in the top the part#?  I wonder if it's the same part?  The trans is a 904 right?  I'll have to look for pictures of 318's to see if there is any yellow paint on them.  I like those little details.

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012 - 09:57:40 AM »
The kickdown rod is one piece, has a number stamped in it  -B-559     The 340's use 727 tranny's
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2012 - 10:03:21 AM »
I'll have a look at what mine says.  The yellow paint could have been a quick referance to the 340 part#.  For some reason I thought the 340's had a 904 trans in 73.  Thanks for the help.

Offline hooD

• detroit iron
  • Resident
  • Motor City Made Muscle
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2012 - 12:20:30 PM »

I'll have to look for pictures of 318's to see if there is any yellow paint on them.  I like those little details.

more yellow paint pictures

-Larry
member since AUG 2007
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvrWiLgDm7Y

southeastern michigan usa

1973 'CUDA 340

original owner
37,117 miles

:grinyes: *click my E-Body* :grinyes: