Maryland Bill for Historic Vehicle Registration

Author Topic: Maryland Bill for Historic Vehicle Registration  (Read 2271 times)

Offline purple1

• Worlds first e-body trailer. Member since 3/10/05
Maryland Bill for Historic Vehicle Registration
« on: February 13, 2012 - 12:38:25 PM »
Historic tags at risk Better read this and send an email....

http://www.semasan.com/page.asp?content=aa_2012MD2&g=SEMAGA

Dave

Worlds first e-body trailer.    Severna Park, Maryland

Offline Gus cuda

Re: Maryland Bill for Historic Vehicle Registration
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012 - 10:46:50 PM »
This nazi state continues to make me sick on my stomach. Nothing surprises me anymore.

Offline purple1

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012 - 10:47:54 AM »
This nazi state continues to make me sick on my stomach. Nothing surprises me anymore.

I know what you are saying. Seems like this crap comes up almost every year. I don't know what they (the lawmakers) think will be served by this. I think the problem is that some people abuse the historic tags and tag old vehicles this way as a means to avoid fixing them to safe standards and to pay less for the tags or insurance.

If the dang state would just train the police to do a better job getting those abusing the historic tags off the road we would not need this crap. I hate to see a pickup truck loaded with tools/trash being used every day as a work truck but with historic tags on it. Clearly an abuse of the the system. But I see that kind of thing all the time. Instead they think this crap law is going to help.

Please do like I have and e-mail the lawmakers to not pass this law.

Dave

Offline Cooter

• There goes the lone Challenger............
    • christinecarclub.com
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012 - 12:03:48 PM »
Here in the land of coo-coo clocks and cheese (VA), the law has always been 25 years and older. People still abused it. One officer pulled a truck load of "Mexican Americans" over for having "Antique/Historic" plates on a lawnmower trailer.

This law only makes the age of vehicles go up. I don't see whether it is 20 Y/O, or 25 Y/O will help keep people from abusing this. Here in Va, you have to PROVE you own at least one other car for daily transporation and list it's make model and VIN info. on your app. for Antique tags.

It used to cost us here around $11.00 Permenant, now it's $50.00.....
1958 plymouth Belvedere 2dr hd top "Christine" [OO)====V====(OO]
1969 dodge Charger "General Lee"         [___|______I______|___]                        
1968 Dodge Dart 2dr sedan 505" Stroker    (O]=0==========0=[O)                
1970 Challenger R/T Clone "Kowalski Special"   (OO) [___________] (OO)

Offline purple1

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012 - 10:24:50 PM »
My e-mail to the lawmakers:
Committee members,
as an owner of a classic car I request withdrawal of the bill H.B. 550. This does nothing but hurt an already troubled preservation of the classic vehicles. Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

71 Dodge Challenger owner
David ______

My first reply from one of the lawmakers is as follows:

Dear Mr. ______
Thank you for contacting me regarding your feelings towards my legislation dealing with historic licenses in Maryland.  I understand that many car enthusiasts such as yourself have concerns regarding HB 550. 

The bill I have introduced is my initial proposal after spending months working to craft language with the MVA to deal with a problem brought to my attention regarding the abuse of historic licenses in Maryland.  My ultimate desire is to find the right balance to make sure that people in our state are only getting historic license plates for the intended purposes of a historic vehicle registration system. 

At the moment, anyone can get a historic license plate in Maryland if their car is simply 20 years old or older, no questions asked, and I want to make sure that people aren’t just getting historic license plates for their car simply to avoid needing to pass emissions tests and to pay a lower car registration fee.  I'm sure you've seen the cars on the road I am referring to that have no business having a historic license plate.  This is not a small number of cars.  Currently there are over 100,000 cars in Maryland with a historical registration.  6 years ago there were only a little over 60,000 cars with a an historical registration.  The MVA shares my suspicion that part of this significant increase is the word is getting around that people with a car 20 years old or older can get a historical registration to avoid passing an emissions test and pay a lower car registration. 

To look at the actual changes in the code the bill calls for please click here: http://mlis.state.md.us/2012rs/bills/hb/hb0550f.pdf.  The bold language is what I am proposing adding and the language in brackets is what I am proposing to take out of the language.  I have also drafted an amendment after listening to car enthusiasts’ concerns that will allow for “occasional transportation on Saturdays and Sundays” along with traveling for maintenance purposes and fundraisers in addition to the other approved purposes for driving a historically registered vehicle already in state law that I am leaving untouched. 

I imagine that through the legislative process that this bill will go through there may be more changes and amendments to the language once residents, organizations, and legislators have had a chance to review the proposed language and make suggestions. 

Please let me know if you have any questions. 

Sincerely,
Del. Kirill Reznik

Dave

Offline purple1

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012 - 10:48:37 PM »
And my reply to this lawmaker:

Thank you for your reply in this matter. I do understand the abuse of the historic licenses issued in Maryland. I see it almost every day. And agree with most of what I see here. The part that has me concerned most and this is important to me, is the language about insurance. As you may be aware collector car insurance is very restrictive in nature. Most if not all collector car insurance require the insured vehicle to be stored within a locked structure. This generally means a garage of some kind. I have no means to secure my vehicles in this manner (at least not at this time). Making it imposable for me to get the collector car type of insurance.

If it is to be a requirement for historic tags in Maryland to have this type of insurance, I will have to turn in my tags and stop driving my classic car unless some form of less restrictive collector car insurance becomes available to me. This is why I am opposed to these changes. Please take this into consideration when making future proposals to the law.

David ______

Dave

Offline Gus cuda

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012 - 11:10:57 PM »
This is all about money. Omalley also wants to raise the sales tax to 7% and raise the gas tax by 18 cents over the next 3 years. To continue being the "blue" state we are, they need more of our money.

Offline Grec

• The '73 Chrysler should have made...
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012 - 01:42:03 PM »
To continue being the "blue" state we are, they need more of our money.

We have a winnah!!!  I'm in Cali, so I obviously feel your pain.  :banghead:
1973 Challenger Rallye
- 440 Six Pack
- A833 4 Speed, 18 Spline
- FE5 Rallye Red on Black