Author Topic: Best dealer for brake parts  (Read 1197 times)

Offline AARCUDADEN

Best dealer for brake parts
« on: February 14, 2012 - 12:12:21 AM »
Don't know if this is the right place to post this so mods feel free to move it. I'm currently repainting my firewall and inner fenders on my Cuda and since the motor is out i feel now is the time to replace all the brake lines,rubber hoses for the calipers and rebuild the calipers as well. Also i want to rebuild the master cylinder as well.Most all i have mentioned is all still the oringal parts on my Cuda except the master cylinder and i still have the original and thats the one i'll rebuild. It wasn't an easy task to go to the local parts stores to buy one anyways do to the fact the're listing never showed a 70 AAR CUDA with power and disc brakes  :lol: I've delt with year one in the past and will do so if i have too as i've always been treated right. They have everything i need but cost is kinda a factor right now and honestly i would rather check to see if maybe one of cc.coms sponsers could help me out with what i need and buy from who takes care of this site. So come on guys help a brother mopar guy out here  :feedback:
Dennis,Ohio

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
Re: Best dealer for brake parts
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012 - 07:34:39 AM »
The items you seek are more of the service part type found at auto part stores. NAPA would be my suggestion, I don't think the parts on the AAR are different than other '70 models in this area.
I was able to get rebuild kits for brake calipers, wheel cylinders and master cylinder.  They carry replacement hoses but more accurate reproductions may be avail.
I know mopardave at http://www.rosevillemoparts.com carries brake line but I don't see hoses, you might give him a shout.
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline EB3-GranCoupe

• BP23 U0B
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012 - 11:54:37 AM »
I got my calipers, rotors, & hoses at AutoZone.  One thing i noticed on other replacement items that i purchased from them was that they did not have everything cross referenced correctly.  One example was the Oil pressure sending unit for a Rallye dash car.  I had them look up a 70 Roadrunner 440-6pak car, viola!  so you may have to be creative in working with the counter folks, and a good sense of humor works well!

Offline JH27N0B

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012 - 12:17:56 PM »
The AAR did get the same brake parts as other disc brake ebodies.  That being said, the correct master cylinder for 1970 was one year only and E body only, and hasn't been available from aftermarket sources since the late 70s or early 80's.
If you have your original MC, which is identified by having a 2229171 casting number on the bottom, it is a rare and valuable piece.  I have used a place in Minneapolis to restore master cylinders including several '9171's.  They resleeve the bore with stainless steel and know what they are doing:
http://brakeplace.com/
I'm not sure of what they are charging now, but it is probably in the $175 range.  If you use them, tell them Brad from Illinois says hello.
Whatever you do, don't use White Post Restorations for these master cylinders, they use a similar but incorrect kit and when you install it on the car, it doesn't work!!!!!!!  Has happened to a number of people so don't make the same mistake!
There is a section on this board for brakes, which would be the correct place for this question.

Offline AARCUDADEN

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012 - 04:07:03 AM »
Thanks to you all for the replies  :worshippy You've all been very helpful. Now i know why i love this site so much. jh27NOB thank you the most my friend. I honestly assumed i keep the original master cylinder when it went bad. I knew this car really welll and and know for a fact every and each owner before when i bought it and just had a feeling it was an orginal piece. Just to make sure of myself i went down to the garage and checked the numbers you posted and sure enough they matched up  :jumping: Now my next question is should i try rebuiding it myself and buy a kit from yer one and do it mysellf or have it done by the comany you sudjest  :dunno:
Dennis,Ohio

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012 - 01:21:53 PM »
Rock Auto may be a good source for you as well

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline AARCUDADEN

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012 - 12:01:22 PM »
Thanks Chryco  :wave:
Dennis,Ohio

Offline JH27N0B

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012 - 12:22:17 PM »
Thanks to you all for the replies  :worshippy You've all been very helpful. Now i know why i love this site so much. jh27NOB thank you the most my friend. I honestly assumed i keep the original master cylinder when it went bad. I knew this car really welll and and know for a fact every and each owner before when i bought it and just had a feeling it was an orginal piece. Just to make sure of myself i went down to the garage and checked the numbers you posted and sure enough they matched up  :jumping: Now my next question is should i try rebuiding it myself and buy a kit from yer one and do it mysellf or have it done by the comany you sudjest  :dunno:
There is no kit available at part stores to rebuild that rare original master cylinder that you are fortunate to have kept stashed away.
I've seen a few NOS kits for it go on ebay, very rarely, and they go for as much as $200.  However there is a guy on Moparts I think his screen name is NS1aar who has made up some correct kits that he sells.  Also, Brake and Equipment Warehouse has a lot of experience with this master cylinder.  I think they have made up some pistons for rebuilding them.  I even made up some engineering drawings of the correct piston so they could make them, around 5 years ago.  So they can certainly help you out restoring that master cylinder if you chose to use them to rebuild it for you.

Offline Road_Runner

• Mopar Owner & Standard Bearer Since 1974
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2012 - 03:37:58 PM »
I'll second the recommendations for both your local NAPA and Rockauto.  I've used both for brake parts and both were excellent.  You may want to consider throwing some business your local NAPA dealers way just to make sure they're still around the next time you need a 'hard' part right away, rather then 5-10 shipping days.

Later, Jim
1970 383 Roadrunner Tor Red
1973 318 Barracuda Mist Green
2014 Mustang GT/CS Convertible All Black