Author Topic: Helped out a stranger  (Read 5496 times)

Offline MOPAR FANATIC

• Resident
Helped out a stranger
« on: February 17, 2012 - 02:50:06 PM »
 ;) while getting some petro for my truck on lunch break a guy walks up to me at the gas pumps and asked me if i would have an extra four dollars for his cadi,says i'll mail it back to you.looks like he's 70ish and said he forgot his money clip at home.i hand him a 5 spot so him and his wife won't run out of gas to make it home.see him inside and hand him my address.

Not that it matters,it's only five bucks, but what are the odds of him mailing it back...........  :icon16:

i always say have a little faith in man.  :thumbsup:

:cheers: Dave....................
71 Challenger 340 a/t
2013 Plum Crazy Hemi R/T 6SPD

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
Re: Helped out a stranger
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012 - 03:21:55 PM »
I've been hit up a few times at gas stations. Always a young guy. I've run out of gas, blah, blah, blah. I ask where is the car? Oh, it's waaay down the road. Knowing just about all young people carry cell phones, I haven't bought into the excuses.

I hope you found a decent recipient Dave, but I wouldn't be waiting by the mailbox.    :grinno:

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline 72cudamaan

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012 - 03:26:16 PM »
You got duped! And usually they even have a gas can with them. But
you still should be commended for helping a fellow man.   :cheers:
If I cant fix it, it's broke

Andy  (phukker whither)

Offline bentpshrods

• Almost there, Boise Id.
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012 - 03:31:07 PM »
    In todays world it is real easy to get a bit jaded against helping people with every one trying to rip you off or taking advantage of your good nature. I try and help people when I can. I believe in the pay it forward, no good deed goes unpunished, what goes around ect. or Karma----what  ever you want to call it. Some times it works---most of the time not.   Knowing that you helped some one out is usually the only reward, but you never know. He just might surprise you.     :2thumbs:   

Offline grimmey71

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012 - 03:37:43 PM »
I am so used to this I always say no, sometimes just saying no is not enough lol, one time I did give 5 bucks at a gas station, only to watch the guy and girl go into the station and come out with Faygo pop, chips and a blunt. All I could do was laugh at myself.

Offline hpe600rt

• how sweet it is
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012 - 03:46:51 PM »
cool i also help people in need wheen i can.think of it this way if it was you would you want someone to help you :1zhelp:

Offline 06Daytona

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012 - 03:54:36 PM »
The odd time when I do give/lend someone money I just consider it gone. If they return it I consider it found money.
Puerto Rico has quite a few panhandlers and I normally pretend that I have no spare change on me, unless it's the little guy with one eye, or the guy in his 20s or 30s with no arms. For both of them I always have a handful of change.
I'm pretty sure that those two aren't begging for booze or drug money and if they are, I figure they have a reason.

1972 Cuda 340 4 barrel 4 speed that looks like a 71
2006 Dodge Charger R/T Daytona
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel 4X4
2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser Convertible (Kidmobile)
1972 Dodge Charger 318 auto
1970 Challenger 440/727 auto
1973 Plymouth Duster 340/auto (Making it Panther Pink for the wife)
2006 Honda Civic Hybrid (It doesn't save gas, it just diverts it to the Cuda/Challenger)
In desperate need of more property for my growing Mopar family

Offline Gumby

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012 - 04:13:10 PM »
Last Thanksgiving, I stopped at a cigarette store to buy some smokes. This kid in front of me was counting out pennies to buy a pack. I asked him if a few extra bucks would help, and he looked at me and said "Man, you are a lifesaver"! I emptied out my wallet, (maybe 5-6 bucks. Been there myself when I was a kid. Little things count more in life than the big things sometimes.
{oo/-------\oo} In '69 I was twenty-one and I called the road my own. I don't know when that road turned into the road I'm on. Jackson Browne

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012 - 04:44:47 PM »
one of two things will happen , you will never hear from them again [typically] or they will send you $20 [rarely]

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Skunkworks Challenger

• Mopars forever!
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012 - 04:47:54 PM »
Interesting!  Last fall I was on the other end of this subject.  While traveling across state to visit son in Moses Lake, WA the wife and I stopped at the summit at Snoqualmie Pass, Wa to eat our sandwich.  I forgot to turn the lights off and after fifteen minutes when I hit the key to start there was nothing.  I walked back to a convenience store to either call a tow truck or borrow a jumper battery.  A young man was just finishing topping off his tank when I asked if he had jumper cable.  Sure, he said, need a jump?  Not only would he not take any money he insisted on giving me the jumper cables, saying I might need them before I could get a battery.  Turned out the battery was bad.  He was a young guy and probably could have used the money but absolutely refused it.  PK
The Brewmaster

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012 - 04:54:54 PM »
since he`s got your address now, I bet he will come back with his rollator buddy`s to collect the rest of your money...  :poopoke:

just kidding  :biggrin:    I guess it just felt right to give him the money at that moment.... I bet he`ll return it  :grinyes:
*** Bart ***

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2012 - 06:02:32 PM »
I pulled over to help an elderly couple that had a flat. It was a busy hwy so I made quick work of changing it . When I was all done they asked what they owed me. I said nothing. Boy did they get all pissed off, started yelling at me to take a bunch of bills they had in his hand. I said no way I have a grandmother and I would hope someone would stop and help her too without expecting to get paid for it!! What goes around comes around. They still kept yelling! I giggled and walked back to my car, my son was all worried and couldn't figure out why they were yelling at me.
I couldn't help but think..." doesn't people do things just because its the right thing to do anymore??" Life ain't about the god almighy dollar!
I still giggle when I picture them yelling at me while I walked away!  :lol:
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline JayBee

• Resident
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2012 - 06:20:26 PM »
It sure will be interesting to see what pans out with this, please let us know.

As far as stories go I got one. Sometime ago I was walking downtown and a bum came up to me and said, " Hey buddy, can you spare some change so I can get me a jug". I said no and later ended up walking past him a second time. He asked for money again, and I said , "You already asked me once and I said no then'. At which time he came back with...Well, go f__k yourself you a__hole". I kept walking and laughed.
John

1970 Barracuda convertible
2014 Toyota Avalon

Offline Gumby

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2012 - 06:47:30 PM »
Anybody that helps someone out, and then accepts cash is an absolute failure in my book. This whole thing reminds me of that qoute, "I spent all my money on fast cars women, and Mopars. The rest I just wasted" If someone was upfront with me wanting money for a jug, I would gladley give it to him. Not as many people have been blessed to go through life and have a good job. He didn't lie to you about what it was going to be used for, So what's the big deal? I would rather give money out that way instead of contributing to a charity where 10% of your money goes to help people and the rest go to the charity tax exempt Millionaire owners sitting in their plush offices. At least the $20.00 would have gone to a good purpose. I know I can't save all the doggies in the world, but the few I do take in are grateful, and make the best friends that I have ever known. Give freely, and don't ever expect anything back, and you will not be disappointed. It should be reward enough to know that you helped.  :ylsuper:
{oo/-------\oo} In '69 I was twenty-one and I called the road my own. I don't know when that road turned into the road I'm on. Jackson Browne

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2012 - 11:31:15 PM »
Little things count more in life than the big things sometimes.

:cheers:

We are so small compared to the big picture of the Universe that we should appeciate everyday with everything and everybody. Taking the time to help others comes back full round.
Mike, Fremont, CA.