Recommendations for show quality engine paint job (stock, Hemi Orange)

Author Topic: Recommendations for show quality engine paint job (stock, Hemi Orange)  (Read 11748 times)

Offline 70Cuda

• 70 Cuda 383 70 Challenger 440+6 71 Challenger 383
OK, my cuda is really clean and doing well at shows.  However, I am not at all happy with the spray can paint job on the motor.  Everything was done right even using engine primer but the intake paint turns brown (70 Cuda 383 HP, factory manifold) and the rest of the paint looses it's Hemi orange luster.  Anyway, I am looking for recommendations on doing a show quality paint job (stock class) on my motor and having it hold up.  Also color recommendations if you don't go with Hemi orange and I hear people are using auto paint in mangarine color and if you have done that, it's what I'm considering and would like your comments on that or what you would have done differently.

I used two different kinds of spray paint two different times with the same results - once with Mopar paint and once with Penstar's which I liked better but now ready to go to the next level.

Offline MAXcuda

Re: Recommendations for show quality engine paint job (stock, Hemi Orange)
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2005 - 10:24:42 PM »
I'm also interested in this.  Every picture of the Mopar Performance hemi orange I've seen the paint doesn't look the same.  Too light.

Offline DodgeFreak

• Cars and trucks are my friends..
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2005 - 11:13:06 PM »
I'm going to be painting my engine Case Orange (case tractor) and i heard it was close to  Chevlet orange...i don't know if thats something you'd be looking for..its an enamel paint so it will last along time...(lasted 17 + years on our Case 1070 Tractor)
74 Plymouth Duster- restoring

77 Dodge D150 shortbox- as long as i don't change my mind will be a step side dually diesel or a 383 powered truck

04 durango 4.7

Offline OUTLAW

• MASTER OF ALL THINGS MOPAR
  • I didn't say you can't RACE--I said you can't WIN
    • MOPAR-MADNESS  WEB/FORUM
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2005 - 11:54:10 PM »
When we were showing cars, my partner wouldn't use anything but enamel paint for his blocks/engines  too. I have had good luck with emeron paint but of course the ultimate is powder coating

Offline heminut

• Resident
  • owner of the poor man's Hemi Cuda
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2005 - 08:24:08 AM »
I'm going to use POR-15's engine enamel on mine before I put it back in the car. It comes in quart cans and is normally applied with a brush. It looks great when put on, but only time will tell how it holds up.
1970 5.7 Hemi Cuda

Offline 1973challenger360

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2005 - 04:01:14 PM »
Eastwood I belive has some products
1965 barracuda. Was 273/2 904 car had 440 360 in plans
1996 Dodge 1500 ST 5.2 Np3500 4x2 club cab short bed

2008 Veracruz AWD Limited     I pay she drives

Offline AprilsPink72Cuda

• Global Moderator
  • Resident
  • 1972 'Cuda 340/Wappingers Falls, NY
    • Klondike's Website (Check it out!)
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2005 - 09:35:43 PM »
Hey 392Heminut I just painted my motor with the POR-15 engine enamel. It looks great and spreds itself out nicely.  No visable brushstrokes.  We used the regular POR-15 on Joe's Cutlass' undercarriage.  It has held up since 1996.  It looks just like it did the day we painted it.  I hope the engine enamel is as good.  It is guarenteed not to chip or burn ever.  We shall see.

Offline 70Cuda

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2005 - 09:57:04 PM »
Thanks for the info but wouldn't mind hearing some more.  Can anybody speak for how well Por15 holds up on an engine?

I love powder and it's on all of my suspension so I was curious as whether anyone actually powder coated a motor?  Because of the baking at 300-500 degress I think it would have to be fully torn down to do this and then you might chip / scuff / scratch it on the bolts. during assembly.  The cam bearings would probably have to be out too - maybe not.  I had a gas tank powder coated and it melted the solder off it and had to be resoldered so yeah, it gets hot.

I saw a motor that Nostalgia Lane (in IL) did that help up really good and the guy said it was a two part process.

I forgot, on the show Trucks a couple of weeks ago, they showed using automotive paint on an old hemi and were pusing the auto paint as the ultimate.

Again, thanks, and looking for more info yet.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2005 - 10:03:28 PM by 70Cuda »

Offline heminut

• Resident
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2005 - 10:00:06 PM »
April, I saw the pics of the paint job you did on your engine and thought to myself 'Gee, I hope that POR-15 stuff I bought looks that good!' Guess I don't have to wonder now. Thanks for the info.

I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to have to go buy a digital camera before I post anything on here about the engine or the body paint being done. If not, I'll be waking up in the middle of the night hearing voices saying 'Pictures....show us the pictures!!!!!' :-\
1970 5.7 Hemi Cuda

Offline 70Cuda

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2005 - 09:01:17 PM »
I went to a Por15 dealer today and they said that it can discolor on the intake but what they do to help prevent that is to treat it with high heat Por15 first and then use the color over it.  Apparently they used to do the pontiac blue in por15 but could stop it from discoloring and por15 dropped it because of pride in the quality of their product.  They also mentioned that to avoid any brush mark concerns it can be sprayed too or even put in an aerosol can.  The guys were really helpful there and when asked flat out what they would do on a show quality motor, they said Por15 and they wouldn't have just said that because they are a dealer.

I like the idea of the por15 in that if anything did happen, paint chips whatever, you could easily touch it up with a brush.  The prices really aren't too bad either.

Offline heminut

• Resident
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2005 - 11:51:14 PM »
Where the intakes usually discolor is right at the heat crossover passage next to the head. I wasn't too concerned about that because my intake is aluminum and I'm not planing to paint it. It's encouraging to hear that the POR-15 folks have that kind of faith in their product. Thanks for the info 70Cuda!
1970 5.7 Hemi Cuda

Offline cudaboyz

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2005 - 04:38:19 PM »
I used the Por 15 on my engine and it looks really good on the rough surfaces.  I brushed it on and you can really tell on the oil pan.  It does discolor with antifreeze, I found that out the hard way with a leaking gasket.

Offline 70Cuda

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2005 - 06:46:45 PM »
Skip the POR15.  My by the book paint job turned brown even on the valve covers by the exhaust mainifolds as well as on the intake manifold and antifreeze kills the Hemi orange and turns it yellow.  I contacted POR15 on this and they know that Hemi orange has pigments in it that reacts to antifreeze but it would be nice if they would tell you that in advance.  I had a water pump go out and antifreeze went all over and it ruined my engine paint job.  I painted again in the car and then had another water problem, same results.  It looks really good if you don't drive the car or you don't have to be tolerant to normal engine fluids...  They said I could get my money back but now I'll have to pull my motor again to do it right at some future date...

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2005 - 07:38:37 PM »
 :worthless: Sooooooooooooo,

Does this HEMI Orange look factory to you guys? It's my engine, don't hold back I want honest opinions.
I think it does but then again it's my car.  :laughing:

1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline R/T

• Johnson City TN
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2005 - 08:06:25 PM »

Does this HEMI Orange look factory to you guys? It's my engine, don't hold back I want honest opinions.
I think it does but then again it's my car.  :laughing:

:thumbs: Looks good to me
1973 Challenger (OO/=====\OO)  440 
Hemis and Harleys
2008 Dodge Ram Big Horn Edition  5.7 Hemi