Author Topic: Gunmetal/Winchester Grey  (Read 15169 times)

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
Gunmetal/Winchester Grey
« on: March 24, 2012 - 10:48:27 PM »
I've been looking at these colors for a while, and I'm running into a problem. It's tough to judge a color by any image of a car. Magazines can have color shifts when they print, and images on computer are only reliable when the monitors are calibrated and the image has a lot of EXIM data from a white-balanced camera, which almost never happens. It's even harder to judge colors that are more neutral, and this is on of the hardest. Some of the images I see tend to blue, and some are very blue, almost ice blue. Some of the others tend toward green, and some are hard to tell from my original JA5.

I've gone into local body shops. Apparently the new thing is that most body shops (at least around here) don't do paint anymore. It sounds like they're telling me that they farm the paint part out to subcontractors. Anyway, this is a long-winded way of saying that they don't have chip books. The one that did...suffice it to say that I can't really judge a color from a 1/2 in by 3/8 swatch of paint.

So, even though I've asked before, and members have come through with images before, does anyone have images that they think really represent these colors? I've read that the Dodge Gunmetal color changed throughout the years; anyone know anything about this? Are gunmetal and Winchester Grey the same thing? In the images I've seen, they look very different.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
Re: Gunmetal/Winchester Grey
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012 - 11:21:57 PM »
Your color was only offered one year.  The GA4 from 71 is a lot different. 

Dark silver metallic(Dodge) and Silver Frost metallic(Plymouth) are the same color.

Are you thinking about going back to this color?  Another post implied that you were going to change the color.  If you are thinking about staying with the stock color, I can send you a sprayout of the correct color if you want.  The painter sprayed three samples and had me pick the one that matched the original paint the closest.  I used the paint under the jack instruction decal to choose the color.  Honestly, all three were so close, you couldn't tell them apart unless you looked at them in the sun.  It was still hard even then.

The color I chose was right out of the catalogue.  The Spies Hecker name is Alpha Romeo 768. I had some touch-up paint mixed at a local autobody supply store.  That paint is PPG.  The number on the side of the bottle says...Brand Code: 2513  I don't know if that helps you or not. 

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012 - 11:28:52 PM »
Thanks for the offer, Burdar. No, I'm leaving JA5 behind. I like some of the gunmetal/winchester images that I've seen, and some I could tolerate, but there are a few that I didn't like at all, and since my plan is to only paint this car once, I'd like to get something I'm sure I'll like the first time.

And what may happen, since I'm not too worried about originality (it's a 93 Plymouth color right now), is that I may go with a newer color. Mopar had a gunmetal out a few years ago, but they've apparently discontinued it. But nothing says I even have to go with a Mopar color.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012 - 11:33:54 PM »
My dad has an 03 Dakota that is a Gunmetal color.  I don't know the exact name for it.  It definately has the same flavor as JA5 but it's quite a bit darker.  The lighter GA4 from 71 looks very blue in certain lighting.  It's a great looking color but definately looks more blue then silver IMO.

Last year I was at the Dodge dealer and saw a paint chart on their wall.  There were 5 or 6 different shades of dark silver.  Maybe head on down to the local dealer and see if they have that same chart. 
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012 - 11:36:15 PM by burdar »

Offline Jamiez

• Retro
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012 - 11:36:10 PM »
You can get the paint chip sheets for many years off ebay for reasonable prices (less than $15 in most cases) If you buy the PPG sheet, it has the PPG code on it which I would think they could match pretty easy.

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012 - 11:36:58 PM »

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012 - 11:40:48 PM »
My dad has an 03 Dakota that is a Gunmetal color.  I don't know the exact name for it.  It definately has the same flavor as JA5 but it's quite a bit darker.  The lighter GA4 from 71 looks very blue in certain lighting.  It's a great looking color but definately looks more blue then silver IMO.

Although it's a subtle change, JA5 is not what I'm looking for. Posting a pic of what I believe to be a Winchester Grey Cuda that, if the image is accurate for color, is what I'd like to have. It's kind of a combination of middle grey and aqua.

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012 - 11:41:51 PM »
You can get the paint chip sheets for many years off ebay for reasonable prices (less than $15 in most cases) If you buy the PPG sheet, it has the PPG code on it which I would think they could match pretty easy.

I just can't visualize an entire car from the chips. I actually have one, as well as several scanned versions. Just not helping me. Thanks for the idea though.

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2012 - 11:43:16 PM »
Have you seen this web page?  http://www.aarta.com/challenger_colors/challenger_colors.html

I was just looking at that, just before I started this thread. I can almost guarantee that those images are not accurate. They look like they were shot of period kodachrome film, which has all sorts of crazy color shifts.

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2012 - 11:45:56 PM »
This is another image that looks pretty close to what I'd like (and yes, I realize it's a diecast  :bigsmile: )

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Offline Jamiez

• Retro
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2012 - 05:25:50 AM »
What about contacting this member and seeing i f they can take a photo with the data you need or perhaps next to some known colors?  I remember they used to make DVD's that displayed a color chart and had a special printed chart..you'd tune the tv colors to match the sheet to get everything calibrated. Maybe something like that could be done with the car.

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=79287.msg797935#msg797935

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2012 - 08:42:46 AM »
That is GA4 which was available in 71 and 72.  Have someone do a sprayout of the color so you can accually see it in person.  It's a great looking color.

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2012 - 08:44:29 AM »
I believe Wades challenger is gunmetal gray. Also, cudaguys car was that color too. Or is 73 called a different type of gray?

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2012 - 09:20:47 AM »
Wade an I both have Dark Silver metallic cars.  The code was JA5.  That's not what the OP wants.  He wants the lighter GA4.

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2012 - 10:25:03 AM »
What about contacting this member and seeing i f they can take a photo with the data you need or perhaps next to some known colors?  I remember they used to make DVD's that displayed a color chart and had a special printed chart..you'd tune the tv colors to match the sheet to get everything calibrated. Maybe something like that could be done with the car.

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=79287.msg797935#msg797935

Color chart is an interesting idea. I think that's one of the members who responded to me last time. By my eye, that car looks bluer than the cuda pic I posted above, almost ice blue. What do you guys think?

That is GA4 which was available in 71 and 72.  Have someone do a sprayout of the color so you can accually see it in person.  It's a great looking color.

I agree with the sprayout idea. Still trying to determine if there's a difference between Dodge and Plymouth GA4. I've also seen a reference to a GA5, Dark Gunmetal Metallic, but I can't find any pics, or even any official mention of it.

Wade an I both have Dark Silver metallic cars.  The code was JA5.  That's not what the OP wants.  He wants the lighter GA4.

And mine was JA5 originally.

- Han Solo, Star Wars