Author Topic: Gunmetal/Winchester Grey  (Read 15171 times)

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
Re: Gunmetal/Winchester Grey
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2012 - 06:53:43 PM »
I wish it was 'only' a 14 hour drive to Carlisle! It would take me 14 hours to get to Brads70 house! How much further after that Brad?

Brad will bring you down with his friend Darcy. So you only have to drive 14 hours to Brads house, and let him do the rest.   :naughty:

In all honesty, I don't know how long of a drive is to Carlisle from his house. 

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2012 - 06:55:51 PM »
I wish it was 'only' a 14 hour drive to Carlisle! It would take me 14 hours to get to Brads70 house! How much further after that Brad?

Interesting how colours are recreated on our monitors. Mine isn't calibrated (recently) and 71340RT's cars looks like an ice blue on my monitor.

About 7 1/2 hours more.
I love that Gunmetal gray! :2thumbs: Beautiful colour! I know you posted this picture before but my copy is a little bigger. This is someones car from on here? as thats were I got it from. It really stuck out to me! Just beautiful!
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2012 - 07:09:59 PM »
Interesting how colours are recreated on our monitors. Mine isn't calibrated (recently) and 71340RT's cars looks like an ice blue on my monitor.

Monitors are only part of it, although most people who calibrate use Adobe Gamma, and it's only slightly better than nothing. Camera calibrations are also different, plus lighting has a huge effect. Exposure changes saturation, morning light is yellow, noon light from a clear sky is blue, and evening light is orange. If you're inside, incandescent lights are yellow, but fluorescent lights are green. If you're scanning an image paper will cause a color shift over time, and scanners aren't usually calibrated either.

Thanks for that bigger image, Brad.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline dodj

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2012 - 07:30:59 PM »
most people who calibrate use Adobe Gamma, and it's only slightly better than nothing.
Cuz it's free!

Mark me down for slightly better than nothing  :bigsmile:

I have a photo friend that has one of those deals that goes on the face of the monitor and does a decent calibration but I never had mine done.
Scott
1973 Challenger  440 4 spd 
2007.5 3500 6.7 Cummins Diesel, Anarchy tuned.
Good friends don't let friends do stupid things. ........alone.

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2012 - 07:36:28 PM »
Cuz it's free!

Yep, that's why  :bigsmile:

I have one of those things that hang on the monitor (and I'm also a photographer). It's called a spyder (although it's not a convertible) and it does wonders for color accuracy. But it can't change the accuracy of an image generated from another camera or scanner.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2012 - 12:56:33 PM »
By way of example for what I'm talking about, here's a variety of GA4 images together (and a GA8 chip for comparison). While I don't think any conclusions can really be drawn from this about what these colors look like, one thing that might be telling is that the Dodge colors are commonly lighter and bluer, and the Plymouth colors are commonly darker and greener.

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Offline 1970 RT Challenger 1970

« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2012 - 03:25:21 PM »
Maybe the bottleneck is the Computer Screen and the Magazine pictures. Think pre-1974 when there was no computer images to look at. How the in the hell did they do it back then! Mix your own paint and run test strips and look at it outside, and then decide if that's what you want.

I've been looking at these colors for a while, and I'm running into a problem. It's tough to judge a color by any image of a car. Magazines can have color shifts when they print, and images on computer are only reliable when the monitors are calibrated and the image has a lot of EXIM data from a white-balanced camera, which almost never happens. It's even harder to judge colors that are more neutral, and this is on of the hardest. Some of the images I see tend to blue, and some are very blue, almost ice blue. Some of the others tend toward green, and some are hard to tell from my original JA5.

I've gone into local body shops. Apparently the new thing is that most body shops (at least around here) don't do paint anymore. It sounds like they're telling me that they farm the paint part out to subcontractors. Anyway, this is a long-winded way of saying that they don't have chip books. The one that did...suffice it to say that I can't really judge a color from a 1/2 in by 3/8 swatch of paint.

So, even though I've asked before, and members have come through with images before, does anyone have images that they think really represent these colors? I've read that the Dodge Gunmetal color changed throughout the years; anyone know anything about this? Are gunmetal and Winchester Grey the same thing? In the images I've seen, they look very different.

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2012 - 04:13:40 PM »
You can't look at a picture of GA4 and try to figure out what it looks like in person.  That color changes dramatically depending on the lighting conditions.  Dodges and Plymouths were built together on the same line at the factory.  The colors were the same.  You could have slight differences between batches of paint from the factory but there wasn't a separate color for a Dodge and one for a Plymouth.

I don't think the first picture of the 72 Challenger is GA4.  It's accually blue.  There are other pictures of it online.  That picture was from the 72 dealer brochure. 
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012 - 04:27:49 PM by burdar »

Offline 1970 RT Challenger 1970

« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2012 - 04:49:54 PM »
Just another interesting note,

My car is FE5, it photographs Red, but when you are standing there looking at it inside or outside, it looks like Hemi Orange.

Offline AZDAN

« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2012 - 11:59:30 PM »
Here my engine compartment in GA-4 Gun metal gray you can see the light changes its appearance

Offline GranCuda1970

• Sr. Resident
  • Rev 20:4. Mat 6:33 John 1:3 Mat 26:41
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2012 - 12:05:54 AM »
Damn THAT LOOKS FRIGGIN SAWEEET!! :2thumbs:

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2012 - 01:05:38 AM »
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2012 - 09:53:15 AM »
Thanks for the pic, AZDAN. Just out of curisoity, I take it that your name is Dan and you live in Arizona? I.E., too far for me to drive to take a look?  :bigsmile:

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2012 - 05:38:24 PM »
This is now starting to get weird.

Today I went to talk to an auto body supply place. The first question I asked was about the name of the little car-shaped things that HP2 pointed out. I think he was trying to not be rude, but the guy wouldn't tell me what they're called. He kept saying "Just get a sprayout." Every time he'd say that I'd say "I want to see it in three dimensions, not on a card," and he'd give me a weird answer like "You can hang the sprayout on a fence so you can look at it from a distance," in other words, complete non sequitur.

I found a place that offers what are supposedly factory colors in spray cans. Unless and until I can see one in person, I think I'm going to order a can of that stuff and spray it on a diecast.

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2012 - 05:24:27 PM »
My name is Earl Scheib, and I'll paint any (diecast) car for $19.95  :bigsmile:

- Han Solo, Star Wars