Author Topic: Gunmetal/Winchester Grey  (Read 15181 times)

Offline HP2

• Resident
Re: Gunmetal/Winchester Grey
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2012 - 10:33:48 AM »
Instead of going to body shops, maybe you need to go to a body shop supply or paint store to gain access to color charts.

Also, most of them are not using simple chips anymore. They use a blob shaped somewhat like a car that is about the size of your hand so you can see how the color reflects off curves and angles , there are a few examples on here:
http://www.summitracing.com/search/Department/Paints-Finishing/Section/Paints-Coatings-Dyes-Markers/Part-Type/Paint/?Ns=Rank%7cAsc

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2012 - 10:37:30 AM »
Righteous. Good advice.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline 'Cuda Hunter

• Sr. Resident
  • Tastes Like Chicken
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2012 - 02:43:39 PM »
yeah, that's cool.

Had not seen that before now.   Good idea.
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2012 - 06:06:20 PM »
The Dodge and Plymouth color is the same.  They just called them different names.  There is no GA5...it must have been a typo.  The letter stands for the year the color was introduced. F=1970 G=71 H=72 J=73 K=74

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2012 - 06:43:39 PM »
There is no GA5...it must have been a typo. 

The listing looked like this:
GA4 Light Gunmetal Metallic
GA5 Dark Gunmetal Metallic

So, while it may well be wrong, it definitely wasn't a typo.

The letter stands for the year the color was introduced. F=1970 G=71 H=72 J=73 K=74

This I did not know. Thanks.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2012 - 07:11:10 PM »
Had to go find the thing on Dark Gunmetal. Funny enough, I found it here, although it's listed as GA8 instead of GA5.

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=815.0

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2012 - 09:02:37 PM »
GA8 is listed here.
http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/paintChipCharts/_1971PaintChipCharts-01.shtml?load_img=1

It wasn't offered on an E-body.  It was a C-body color.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012 - 09:04:52 PM by burdar »

Offline 71340RT

• Resident
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2012 - 10:16:46 PM »
Here is my 71 Challenger RT it is GA4 or light gunmetal.

70 Plymouth Cuda 340 4-speed
71 Dodge Challenger RT 340 automatic
1973 Dodge Challenger 360 automatic EFI
2002 Harley Davidson Dyna Wide Glide
2003 Dodge Stratus RT coupe
2009 Challenger RT Classic B5 Blue
2014 Ram Express 5.7 Hemi 4X4

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2012 - 10:41:10 PM »
I was just going to post a bunch of pics, including GA4 and GA8 swatches, to show just how much variation there is with images. When I looked at the swatches on my desktop, currently the only computer I have that is color calibrated...they looked very, very green. I reinforced my point, if only to myself.

340RT, any chance you'll have it at Carlisle?  :bigsmile:

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Offline 71340RT

• Resident
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2012 - 11:45:49 PM »
I was just going to post a bunch of pics, including GA4 and GA8 swatches, to show just how much variation there is with images. When I looked at the swatches on my desktop, currently the only computer I have that is color calibrated...they looked very, very green. I reinforced my point, if only to myself.

340RT, any chance you'll have it at Carlisle?  :bigsmile:
   I have wanted to go for years and have never made it as the drive is about 14 hours. I always go to the Mopar Nationals as it is about 7 hours away. The picture I posted was from the Nats when they did the Challenger reunion. I have to agree the color can almost look like it has a green tint not blue under certain light. My challenger was painted with ppg paint back in 1992 and has held up well with the clear on top. I always wonder how it will turn out when I repaint it as I really like the current tint of my Gunmetal paint on my challenger. I can't see me going to Carlisle as I have already made plans to go to the Mopars at the strip and the Mopar Nationals.

70 Plymouth Cuda 340 4-speed
71 Dodge Challenger RT 340 automatic
1973 Dodge Challenger 360 automatic EFI
2002 Harley Davidson Dyna Wide Glide
2003 Dodge Stratus RT coupe
2009 Challenger RT Classic B5 Blue
2014 Ram Express 5.7 Hemi 4X4

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2012 - 11:49:08 PM »
14 hours is a killer drive, I agree. Thanks for the pic, though. I'm going to go talk to some folks tomorrow to see about getting some paint examples.

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Offline Cuda54

« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2012 - 06:04:18 PM »
If you go to a good auto body paint shop the have a hand held gun they could use to match you factory paint. Just check it inside of the door jams where it is not faded or under the hood or trunk lid. Then they will mix the paint to match what the gun reads. They use it to match faded paint on cars that just need touch ups.They should be able to fix you up or they can match paint codes too.

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2012 - 06:17:37 PM »
Thanks for the info, cuss54. I'm looking for a factory color, but not the color that came on the car.

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Offline dodj

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2012 - 06:29:44 PM »
14 hours is a killer drive, I agree.
I wish it was 'only' a 14 hour drive to Carlisle! It would take me 14 hours to get to Brads70 house! How much further after that Brad?

Interesting how colours are recreated on our monitors. Mine isn't calibrated (recently) and 71340RT's cars looks like an ice blue on my monitor.
Scott
1973 Challenger  440 4 spd 
2007.5 3500 6.7 Cummins Diesel, Anarchy tuned.
Good friends don't let friends do stupid things. ........alone.