Author Topic: Fuel Type for Challenger  (Read 13530 times)

Offline ghjedi

Fuel Type for Challenger
« on: March 26, 2012 - 11:50:46 AM »
What type of fuel do you recommend using in the new Challengers?  I read through the manual and didn't see a reference to the best type of fuel to use.

I assume 91 octane is best, but maybe not?
1 of 1 1972 Challenger 440 4sp Convertible Blue GB2
2012 Challenger R/T Classic Blue Streak Pearlcoat

Offline MizzouRT

Re: Fuel Type for Challenger
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012 - 12:08:21 PM »
91 octane for the 6.1 & 6.4 SRT and 5.7 R/T with 6-speed manual.
87 octane for the 3.5 & 3.6 V6 engine and the 5.7 R/T with automatic.

The 5.7 is tuned slightly more aggressively (4 hp increase)with the manual, requiring higher octane than the MDS equipped 5.7 with the automatics.

Daily Driver: 2013 Challenger SRT 6 speed
Toy: 1970 Challenger

Offline ghjedi

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012 - 12:28:06 PM »
91 octane for the 6.1 & 6.4 SRT and 5.7 R/T with 6-speed manual.
87 octane for the 3.5 & 3.6 V6 engine and the 5.7 R/T with automatic.

The 5.7 is tuned slightly more aggressively (4 hp increase)with the manual, requiring higher octane than the MDS equipped 5.7 with the automatics.

This is very helpful and thank you!  I'm glad to see I can use 87 octane in my automatic v6 :)

Offline hpe600rt

• how sweet it is
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012 - 09:09:04 AM »
i use 93

Offline ghjedi

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012 - 11:43:52 AM »
i use 93

Wow!  The highest I can get locally is 91.

Offline Devil

• Forward, Together Forward
    • Ryan's Cars in Barns
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012 - 03:00:06 PM »
5.7 R/T Auto needs 89 and up.  87 it won't ping, but gas mileage drops.
Ryan's Cars in Barns

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hemipwr70/
http://carsinbarns.blogspot.com

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
71 Challenger R/T Clone
69 Charger R/T SE
70 Barracuda
74 Dart Swinger
93 RamCharger
88 Caprice Classic Brougham

Offline AARuFAST

• AARuFAST
  • Resident
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012 - 12:25:15 AM »
What type of fuel do you recommend using in the new Challengers?  I read through the manual and didn't see a reference to the best type of fuel to use.

I assume 91 octane is best, but maybe not?

I reside in Maryland and I drove my Yukon 320 HP   thru the Rockie Mountains an thought I should buy a higher octane fuel,91,  Mistake it ran worse.  Yukon runs on Regular 87 octane.  Colorado regular is 85 . 

The higher the altitude above sea level, the lower the octane requirement. Modern computer-controlled engines adjust spark timing and air-fuel ratio to compensate for changes in barometric pressure, and thus the effect of altitude on octane requirement is smaller in these vehicles. "Octane ratings can vary greatly from region to region. For example, the minimum octane rating available in much of the United States is 87 AKI and the highest is 93. In the Rocky Mountain (high altitude) states, 85 octane is the minimum octane and 91 is the maximum octane available in fuel. The reason for this is that in higher-altitude areas, a typical combustion engine draws in less air per cycle due to the reduced density of the atmosphere. This directly translates to reduced absolute compression in the cylinder, therefore deterring knock. It is safe to fill up a car with a carburetor that normally takes 87 AKI fuel at sea level with 85 AKI fuel in the mountains, but at sea level the fuel may cause damage to the engine.
1970 AAR Cuda
1970 Gran Coupe Ragtop. 1 of 66
Gran Cpe Convertible 1 yr only.

" I Want to Ride "

" I tried to be normal once...
it was the most boring
2 minutes of my life!!!!"

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
  • 2017 Carlisle or BUST...
    • JS Custom Cars
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2012 - 08:58:20 AM »
Wow!  The highest I can get locally is 91.

Are you in California or elsewhere out West?  When I sent my PCM off for reflashing, the shop asked what kind of gas I can get locally, as he had custom fuel maps available for both 91 and 93 octane.  I of course didn't know that different areas had different "maximum" octane availability, and he explained that 93 is available in pretty-much-everywhere except California, where they have 91 pretty much exclusively.
2000 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe - 8.0L V10, 6-Speed Tremec
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - Trail Rated - 4.7L V8, Auto
2010 Dodge Challenger SE Rallye - 3.5L V6, Auto (Wife's!)

Offline ghjedi

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012 - 01:13:01 AM »
Are you in California or elsewhere out West?  When I sent my PCM off for reflashing, the shop asked what kind of gas I can get locally, as he had custom fuel maps available for both 91 and 93 octane.  I of course didn't know that different areas had different "maximum" octane availability, and he explained that 93 is available in pretty-much-everywhere except California, where they have 91 pretty much exclusively.

Yes, I'm out in Northern California (SF Bay Area).  I've not seen 93 in quite awhile.

Offline msbaugh

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2012 - 01:18:15 PM »
I reside in Maryland and I drove my Yukon 320 HP   thru the Rockie Mountains an thought I should buy a higher octane fuel,91,  Mistake it ran worse.  Yukon runs on Regular 87 octane.  Colorado regular is 85 . 

The higher the altitude above sea level, the lower the octane requirement. Modern computer-controlled engines adjust spark timing and air-fuel ratio to compensate for changes in barometric pressure, and thus the effect of altitude on octane requirement is smaller in these vehicles. "Octane ratings can vary greatly from region to region. For example, the minimum octane rating available in much of the United States is 87 AKI and the highest is 93. In the Rocky Mountain (high altitude) states, 85 octane is the minimum octane and 91 is the maximum octane available in fuel. The reason for this is that in higher-altitude areas, a typical combustion engine draws in less air per cycle due to the reduced density of the atmosphere. This directly translates to reduced absolute compression in the cylinder, therefore deterring knock. It is safe to fill up a car with a carburetor that normally takes 87 AKI fuel at sea level with 85 AKI fuel in the mountains, but at sea level the fuel may cause damage to the engine.

Just don't fill up in the mountains and drive down right after for a long cruise by the beach :)