Author Topic: Side note - soft unveiling of grille redesign  (Read 2818 times)

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
Side note - soft unveiling of grille redesign
« on: April 06, 2012 - 08:11:59 PM »
I've been talking about and doing planning for this for about three years, but a couple of things have happened recently (some good, some bad) that have motivated me to do some real work.

Background, short form: I love my car, but I've never liked the 72-74 Challenger header and grille. Overall I think it's too flat, and I've never cared for the sad mouth. I'm not sure I'm going to be able to do much about the sad mouth (the jury is still out in my sketchbook), but I did come up with an idea to address the depth issue that I like. It started about a year ago when I was out at Dulles taking some photos. I noticed a shape, that I've seen a thousand times, but something clicked when I saw it this time. first pic is of Dulles under construction that shows off that shape.

So, I started doing some sketches incorporating that part into the grille. I may or may not change the design of the slats as well, but I want to mock this up and see what it looks like first; I think it might be goo on its own.  Second pic is the computer sketch I did.

Next is a two dimensional foam core mockup so I can check real dimensions.

Finally, there's a quick, cheapie photochop showing how the other pieces would look in place.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012 - 09:14:11 PM by ChallengerHK »

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
Re: Side note - soft unveiling of grille redesign
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012 - 09:16:21 PM »
I would like to see that installed. You may be on something that makes the 72-74 more appealing :2thumbs:

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012 - 09:38:43 PM »
Thanks, Al. Hopefully I'll have the time to mock these up in three dimensions. My thought is that they'll be about an inch wide, tapered at the front and back of the "arrowheads" and chromed, or maybe satin-finished.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Offline TorOrange

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012 - 01:43:02 AM »
Normally hate custom grilles, but this does look pretty good.

Can't wait to see it on the car.  :clapping:
WANTED 71 cuda / barracuda project. Prefer Black but open.

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012 - 09:41:46 AM »
I don't like the billet grilles, and in this case I think a billet grille would have made things worse, as they're very flat themselves. Another design goal was to try to do something that would look like it "belonged" on the car, something that the stylists back in the day might have considered.

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012 - 09:55:25 AM »
One more thing. I would have liked to have the "towers" with more lean, but this is about as much as I can get out of them with a stock grille. I'm thinking about taking another grille I have that's badly cracked and cutting the horizontal slats out of it, then making the new slats have a greater angle and finally adding new slats to the towers. Does that make sense, and what do you think of the idea?

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Offline Jesus H Chrysler

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012 - 12:25:34 PM »
I've kept a spare header panel and a few inserts for my 72 for just that reason.  It looks like you've gone much farther with your design and it looks kick ass!   :2thumbs:
Yes I own a 1972 Dodge Challenger Convertible T/A S/E with a 440 Six Pak. Can it get any more wrong?

{OO /===\ OO}
(OO==> <==OO)

Greg, in the middle of MA has:
1970 Dodge Coronet 440 "Zom Bee"
1972 Dodge Challenger convertible 440 5 speed.
1973 Dodge Challenger 318 "Brown Bomber"
2012 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic Blackberry Pearl.
2001 Jeep Wrangler locked, lifted and lighted.  "Jeep is a registered trademark of Chrysler Corporation"

Offline IMNCARN82

• Resident
  • LeDZeP
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2012 - 02:47:58 PM »
I like it!!!  :clapping: IMO  someone should make a cooler looking grille for em! Your idea shows some great potential. Shape is good. Kinduv 71 cuda ish.  Post up a pic of the whole thing.  :popcorn:
'73 340 5 speed,RMS,BAER,... "Supercuda" (O[   ]||||[   ]O)  
'69 Dodge Charger 383,Auto                  (OiiiiiiiiiiIiiiiiiiiiiO)
13' Challenger R/T BlacktoP  6spd. (OO________OO)
71' Demon
75' Duster
87' Conquest TSI
56' Plaza
Boulder CO
Robert    "cuda bob"

Offline joelson6

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2012 - 09:54:14 PM »
i think you on to something.  :cheers:

do you have a front shot? i'd love to see one.

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2012 - 10:19:13 PM »
Thanks for the support. All I've made so far is that two dimensional piece to verify the top to bottom and front to back dimensions (they were hard to measure, so I knew I'd be a little off). Next I'm going to do a three dimensional mock-up of all four pieces, tack them in place, and see what it looks like.

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Offline 1970 RT Challenger 1970

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2012 - 12:44:55 AM »
Check this out, maybe you need a 3D Printer to Design and Build your Challenger Grill, or any other hard to get part:

« Last Edit: April 09, 2012 - 12:50:03 AM by 1970 RT Challenger 1970 »

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2012 - 08:58:52 AM »
Looks really interesting, David.  Keep us updated!   :grinyes:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2012 - 09:14:05 AM »
Looks good, that is a great start!

To eliminate the sad mouth aspect, you may be able to integrate that same shape into the ends of the gril, turned 90* to the orientation of these.

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2012 - 11:27:17 AM »
Check this out, maybe you need a 3D Printer to Design and Build your Challenger Grill, or any other hard to get part:

Thanks for the info. Some form of either 3D printing or CNC milling will be the way I go. I think I havve someone lined up to run these out once the design is complete and in a 3D format.

Looks really interesting, David.  Keep us updated!   :grinyes:

Thanks, Phil, will do.

Looks good, that is a great start!

To eliminate the sad mouth aspect, you may be able to integrate that same shape into the ends of the gril, turned 90* to the orientation of these.

That's an interesting idea. I'll play with it in the sketchbook.

I've been looking at blocking of the ends of the grille vertically, right where the sad mouth starts to turn down, which would leave kind of a scallop shape that I could do something with. I might back the horizontal slats with hex mesh, and if so I could fill that scallops with the same mesh. It wouldn't help with depth at all, but it would add some texture.

The big issues with addressing the sad mouth are that a) it's in the header, and b) it's accented by the chrome trim. I can paint the chrome trim body color or black, but the shape is still there in the fiberglass, unless I decide to do some serious cutting.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012 - 11:31:51 AM by ChallengerHK »

- Han Solo, Star Wars