Painting a 74 Grill

Author Topic: Painting a 74 Grill  (Read 1976 times)

Offline CUDA JAS

• Resident
  • vroooooom!
Painting a 74 Grill
« on: April 09, 2012 - 07:01:10 PM »
I want to paint my 74 grill...it is an origional piece and pretty well worn in spots.

Any tips on prepping the grill for paint.  I was thinking of scuffing the grill with 320 sand papaer adn going over all the tight spots with a red scuff pad.

Then hitting with a primer, for pastic or just plastic specifc paint. 

thoughts????

74 'cuda 360/727

Gearhead: car nut, automotive enthusiast, one who loves hot rods, muscle cars, hot trucks, burnin' rubber and neck snapping performance. 

Just call me a gearhead!

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
Re: Painting a 74 Grill
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012 - 10:08:49 PM »
I want to paint my 74 grill...it is an origional piece and pretty well worn in spots.

Any tips on prepping the grill for paint.  I was thinking of scuffing the grill with 320 sand papaer adn going over all the tight spots with a red scuff pad.

Then hitting with a primer, for pastic or just plastic specifc paint. 

thoughts????

Argent?

If you want it on a budget out of a rattle can....
http://www.totallyautoinc.com/

If you want it to stick and look correct...
CGP 70-71 Cuda grill paint - correct color and texture with instructions………. Each $125.00

http://www.rogergibsonautorestoration.com/images/2012_catalog.pdf
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline CUDA JAS

• Resident
  • vroooooom!
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012 - 10:13:25 PM »
Argent?

If you want it on a budget out of a rattle can....
http://www.totallyautoinc.com/

If you want it to stick and look correct...
CGP 70-71 Cuda grill paint - correct color and texture with instructions………. Each $125.00

http://www.rogergibsonautorestoration.com/images/2012_catalog.pdf

YIKES   :money: :money: :money:

I think I will pass on correct!!!  Why start now anyway!!!

Jason
74 'cuda 360/727

Gearhead: car nut, automotive enthusiast, one who loves hot rods, muscle cars, hot trucks, burnin' rubber and neck snapping performance. 

Just call me a gearhead!

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012 - 10:27:21 PM »
Prep wise..I would sand with a 400 grit to get any rough spots off. Then sand it finer with a finer grit after.
Then wax & de greaser. Ready to shoot.

If you ever saw a concours done grille you would know why it always goes...

"Spend the extra to do it right or wish you had done it right in the first place and having to re-spend again."
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012 - 09:02:28 AM »
Then again, for the price of restoration, you can probably find a used 72-74 grill in mucho better condition for a lot less money.  Heck, there have been guys on here giving away the tail light asemblies out of this version of Challengers.

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012 - 10:14:54 PM »
I spoke with Scott at Harms Restorations tonite. Then e-mailed All Trim earlier and received a reply.

Here is what I found out:

The original grille paint contained MICA. That is not available anymore. MICA gave the paint a rough surface that had it "stand out" with a glimmer effect. Almost like you could say...black and diamond shine effect.

Scott said that he restored a 71' Cuda grille recently. It took almost a 100 hours. There were numerous cracks he repaired. I won't quote what he said it cost but it was expensive to say the least.   :money:

After talking awhile, it was concluded that I should go to the effort to restore my grille myself.

Scott felt that Frank Badalson/Roger Gibson Restorations was pretty darn close to how the factory paint once was like.

If I were to acquire original paint from either All Trim or the other guy who has NOS grille paint in CO., the paint would be astronomical in cost. There isn't much left. All Trim will do your grille only if you send it to them.
Apparently so is the other guy since they made a contract not to sell the paint outright. 

Scott's conclusion on the differences between Totally Auto rattle can grille paint and Roger's paint was like night & day.

"There are people who want it done right and pay the price and there are people who are willing to sacrifice quality and originality and are satisfied with that."  "To each their own"

e-mail from All Trim:
yes, using the original formulas. 

I understand that eliminates a lot people having it done because of cost of shipping etc (when they can do it themselves), but i sold a bulk supply to another trim restorer and the contract effectively ensured that i or he would never sell the product, only offer it as a spray service.

if sending the part out is not in your plan, you can buy the same paint that comes in rattle cans from the same mfg in QTs, etc. (or at least you used to).

He must not be up on what the Argent paint grille market is doing or care since he has NOS mixture.

Mike, Fremont, CA.