Author Topic: Any advice for buying a foreclosed home?  (Read 2370 times)

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
Any advice for buying a foreclosed home?
« on: April 09, 2012 - 07:58:50 PM »
If everything goes OK with the mortgage app and I get approved I am going to see a house Wednesday evening that is vacant and foreclosed.I`ve never dealt with this before so anything I need to know or look for when dealing with this?
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline Slotts

Re: Any advice for buying a foreclosed home?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012 - 08:48:02 PM »
Hey Jeff,

I would check for anything owed on the place such as back taxes, utilites or anything that could put a lien on the property. A home inspection, check on current tax rates and land survey to make sure that anything on the property isn't encroching onto the neighbors property. Maybe see if the bank will offer some discount on the mortgage rate when negotiating how much you would put down and help with the closing costs, etc.

That's my  :2cents: I'm sure there are lots of things that other folks will have you look into.

Hope that works out for you.  :2thumbs:

Slotts

Offline challengermaniac

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012 - 08:50:30 PM »
Recommend you take that initial look to see if you like the house, condition and price range.  Get comparible pricing to make sure it is not overpriced and in fact because it was foreclosed, it should actually be under current market values.  While you are out there, drive around the neighborhood to see what it looks like and if there are any concerns in the area.  Then it is all about the condition of the home, so you can make an offer subject to an inspection.  May be best to hire a professional home inspection company to get a full report unless you are experienced in the building trades, then you may be able to do the inspection yourself.  At any rate, you want the electrical service panel checked and to have 200+ amps, double pane windows, the plumbing needs to be copper, the roof is a big deal--- are there any signs of leakage, is it a flat (bad), low pitch (better), or standard pitch (best) roof and will it certify with at least 5 years of remaining life?  You will want to crawl around in the attic to again see if there are any signs of leakage.  Then in to the crawl space to look for any unusual settling, standing water, rodents, etc.  Look for any wood to earth contact that may promote rot and any insect infestations.  Check to make sure all of the wall outlets work along with the appliances.  You need to make your offer subject to qualifying for and receiving a mortage loan of X amount at X interest rate by X closing date.  I just got a 15 year refi at 3.375%, but expect the rate on a 30 year loan will be higher.  Be sure to have a discerning & objective friend or family member with you for a second set of eyes.  Best of success.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012 - 12:02:05 AM by challengermaniac »
Charlie
70 Challenger 340/4 Purple
70 Challenger T/A Red
Edmonds, WA

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012 - 09:29:53 PM »
4C should have some great info on this as that is what he does .
I would have everything checked with a lawyer , make sure they put in the contract that any money owed from before your purchase date is not your responsibilty .
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012 - 10:09:08 AM by Chryco Psycho »

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline LAA66

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012 - 10:40:27 PM »
 A clear title is most important. Other physical inspections are needed as usual.  ( FYI,, Most title insurance policy's cover the bank not the buyer.)  If in doubt, check with a real estate attorney. :2cents:

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012 - 09:22:51 AM »
A clear title is most important. Other physical inspections are needed as usual.  ( FYI,, Most title insurance policy's cover the bank not the buyer.)  If in doubt, check with a real estate attorney. :2cents:

Actually the owner policy of the title insurance covers the buyer.  Foreclosures are a fine way to go as they are typically ready to be sold as the bank is in title.  Short sale properties are more difficult as they need to have approval from the bank that holds the note. 

Find the home you like, make an offer that you are happy with, once approved, get an inspection from a licensed contractor,review the title insurance policy and if everything looks good . . . Go to closing and buy the home.  Your inspection is important as most banks sell as is.  You can ask the bank to supply a home warranty if you are purchasing a home that is older but not all banks will agree.  If you have any questions or would like me to look at something, just let me know.  I have been a real estate broker for over 20 years and have been selling foreclosed homes for almost 10 years now. 

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
  • 2017 Carlisle or BUST...
    • JS Custom Cars
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012 - 10:14:02 AM »
We looked at one foreclosed home but walked away from it when the amount of work needed inside the house quickly became evident.  A lot of times people aren't very kind when they get foreclosed on - they'll take everything out of it they POSSIBLY can.  Some people have even gone as far as pulling the copper wiring out of the walls to try and make some quick cash.

The problem we encountered in PA is that you can't inspect a house unless the water and electricity is on, but a bank won't pay to have these services activated for the inspection.  Plus, if you DO turn on the water and power to a house and something goes wrong - water leaks or something shorts out, YOU are responsible for getting it fixed even if you don't buy the house!

That's the ruling in PA at least (as my realtor explained it to me at least) but I dunno about NH.

I say just make sure you "CYA" in every possible regard.  I'm sure 4C will be a good source of info too.  :)
2000 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe - 8.0L V10, 6-Speed Tremec
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - Trail Rated - 4.7L V8, Auto
2010 Dodge Challenger SE Rallye - 3.5L V6, Auto (Wife's!)

Offline HP_Cuda

• Hit the skinny little pedal on the right!
  • Sr. Resident
  • Mopar or No Car!
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012 - 03:19:29 PM »

As folks have stated, a ton of folks getting foreclosed on will rip walls, destroy fixtures, pull copper, pull wiring, trash on load supporting beams, you name it. That isn't even the tip of the iceberg as a lot of these places get run down and critters like rats and mice and the ever fun termite moves in.

I'd really take a hard look at the location because the last thing you want to do is move next door to a crack dealer and have to put up with it bringing down the value of your property. I had a fun run in with a meth dealer and he got sent away just before I went off the deep end.

Unless it's a amazing deal I would stay away from foreclosures just MHO. Liens will be your next problem and hopefully the title search will reveal all of that. Even though the insurance covers that you will still have to deal with it.

Good luck!
1970 Cuda Clone 440 4 speed - sublime green
1970 Cuda 383 4 speed - yellow - SOLD

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012 - 05:37:28 PM »
It is a very nice area only a couple miles from where I am now.From the pics I can tell the place is somewhat trashed-no appliances,kitchen cabinets a mess,no toilet(who steals a toilet?) and a few holes in the walls.All that is pretty easily fixable so my main concerns are the septic,furnace,plumbing and wiring,sill rot or leaking roof.It is bank owned so not sure if I can get the water and electric turned on for the inspection.It is a log style home-not my first choice in style but it has a nice flat 2 acre lot set back from the road and most importantly an oversize 2 car garage with a second floor and the price seems good.I`ll find out more tommorow.
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2012 - 06:08:56 PM »
I could tell you stories about some of the stupid things people take?  Light bulbs? Outlet covers? Door knobs? Light Fixtures are common . .  And then the bigger things: furnace, water heater, A/C unit and condenser, the whole kitchen including all the cabinets, toilets . . . . nothing surprises me anymore.  It is the filth that gets me.  I cannot believe how some people live . . . just today I had to work with the sheriff to get someone out of a home.  The sheriff takes everything out of the home and puts it in the yard.  Once the home is empty, locksmith comes in and secures the home.  What is left outside is mostly garbage.  This is from today . . . .  :screwy:

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
  • 2017 Carlisle or BUST...
    • JS Custom Cars
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2012 - 07:32:32 PM »
 :22yikes:  WOW...  I mean I feel bad for the family that got kicked out, but geez...
2000 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe - 8.0L V10, 6-Speed Tremec
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - Trail Rated - 4.7L V8, Auto
2010 Dodge Challenger SE Rallye - 3.5L V6, Auto (Wife's!)

Offline erat340

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2012 - 09:37:48 PM »
Multiply this scene by thousands of times........do you think.....the lender of the previous owner could have worked a monthly payment close to what a new buyer.....< at the ...all....new....value>....would be paying?

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2012 - 10:49:55 PM »
There's lots of good adivce here, here's my experience....

My brother and I bought a forclosure last spring. Hire your own CERTIFIED inspector. Know the lingo of dealing with agents. Know that they can not tell you certain things pertaining to other offers they have BUT knowing what questions to ask (how to word/ask) will get you all kinds of info you would normally not get. As in the MOPAR world we live in ... CASH TALKS. Understand a forcloser will need work ... often lots of work. Dont buy a forecloser because you think you will save money... you may BUT you may not.  Be prepared to stick in lots of time and money. Dont blow your wad on the house and have no money left for repairs. Having friends in the "trades" helps.

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=79086.msg796406#msg796406
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2012 - 12:22:55 AM »
:22yikes:  WOW...  I mean I feel bad for the family that got kicked out, but geez...

I don't really . . . They lived in that house for over a year for free.  After the year, I offered them 2000 dollars to leave and nope . . . Not leaving.   I think some people don't believe that the sheriff will ever come and make them leave.  I'm glad I don't have to clean all that up!    :dunno:

Offline cudabeforeIdie

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2012 - 02:18:52 AM »
I have offers now on 2 foreclosed condo's, looking to pick up 3 at the same complex. What you need is PATIENCE and a lawyer who deals with foreclosures/short sales on a regular basis. Remember, the bank is trying to recoup the money it blew by giving the loan - its not your responsibility to help the bank, they're going to lose. And the longer the bank owns the property, the more money its costing them in taxes, insurance, condo fee's etc on top of the loss of the mortgage amount, YOU are in the drivers seat. If you know what you're doing, you don't need a realtor, the bank doesn't want to lose any more money that has to, and they lose money with the realtor fees. I deal directly with the LMO (loss mitigation officer) at the bank that owns the property. They know I'm a cash buyer, no realtor, can do my own inspection and can close as soon as my attorney is available, ie 'now'. I'm offering more than a 3rd less than their asking price, since its a condo that's less than 80% owner occupied no perspective buyer that needs a mortgage can get HUD, Fannie or Freddie loans for such a property. So the banks are forced to deal with the cash buyers. And just to crank up the pressure my offer check was half of my offer. There are upsides to down economies! 
                               :naughty: