Author Topic: 1971 aar cuda? Mentioned on a recent Mecum episode  (Read 10218 times)

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
Re: 1971 aar cuda? Mentioned on a recent Mecum episode
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2012 - 10:14:18 AM »
There was a rumor  about 71 T/A because of a factory photo the was around. It was really a 70 that the factory had the grille from a 71 airbrushed in. I think it was an early promotion photo in case they did realease a 71 T/A.  I have seen the photo and if I remember right it was a yellow car with a black vinly roof. Definitely no 71 or 72 or 73 T/A or AAR's ever built.
JS27

1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2012 - 10:21:50 AM »
That was actually from the photo shoot for the 70 model. Same car, same background, same track, and it's raining in both.

I have an old magazine in which an employee at Hamtramck swears that he saw 71 TAs coming off the line. The best guess I've heard put forward to explain this is that he actually saw cars with the similar 71 longitudinal stripe, which is pretty similar to the TA stripe.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline js27

• MOPAR OR NO CAR
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2012 - 07:22:40 PM »
Yep thats the photo I was refering to.
Thanks for posting.
JS27
1967 GTX
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T Conv.

Offline Sleepychallenger

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2012 - 12:49:30 AM »
Was the 340 six pack available in 71?  I thought it was 70 only as well

Offline kissalien

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2012 - 12:22:54 PM »
Was the 340 six pack available in 71?  I thought it was 70 only as well

No, it wasn't.

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2012 - 04:15:01 PM »
No, it wasn't.

Mr. Norm's offered a Six Pak Demon in 71. Very low production numbers, and not factory.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Offline KFD

• I'm big in Japan!
  • Owner, sweet pistolgrip shift handle.
    • Kelly's Cars
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2012 - 02:04:29 PM »
That was actually from the photo shoot for the 70 model. Same car, same background, same track, and it's raining in both.

I have an old magazine in which an employee at Hamtramck swears that he saw 71 TAs coming off the line. The best guess I've heard put forward to explain this is that he actually saw cars with the similar 71 longitudinal stripe, which is pretty similar to the TA stripe.

I had heard 30 or so T/As (albeit with a single Carter) made it off the line, scoops, stripes and the relocated antenna. They were JS27 R/Ts from the get-go,  and were just converted to R/Ts, antennas moved, and the T/A specific parts were dispersed throughout the dealer network...
KFD
Aprilia RSV 1000. Ask the man who owns one!

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2012 - 02:15:04 PM »
I've heard and read several variations of that story, and believe me, I'd love to have it be true.

One thing I can add is this. Over the years I've come across two 71 Challengers which both had all the obvious TA gear, and which the owners swore were unmolested. Of course, the owners might have been wrong, or lying, and I never checked either car in depth to see if the less obvious TA parts were there. What both of them had in common, though, is that they were in Canada. This has often made me wonder in Chrysler possibly dumped the remaining TA parts in Hamtramck onto export cars and sent them on their way.

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Offline KFD

• I'm big in Japan!
  • Owner, sweet pistolgrip shift handle.
    • Kelly's Cars
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2012 - 01:18:07 AM »
This has often made me wonder in Chrysler possibly dumped the remaining TA parts in Hamtramck onto export cars and sent them on their way.

:iagree:

That seems like something Chrysler would do...
KFD
Aprilia RSV 1000. Ask the man who owns one!