Author Topic: Tough locks  (Read 4588 times)

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
Tough locks
« on: April 14, 2012 - 10:14:28 PM »
Can anyone point me in the direction of a lock or locking system that's very resistant to torching or bolt cutters? Is there such a thing?

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
Re: Tough locks
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012 - 10:17:52 PM »
What are you trying to lock?  :clueless:  Like one of those steering wheel to brake locks?
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012 - 10:25:14 PM »
I'm trying to devise a way of locking up the car, believe it or not. That other car that was stolen, the purple 73, has left me a bit freaked, and has exacerbated the fear I've always had of the same thing happening to mine.

I started thinking about what would be really theft resistant. Alarms, for instance, I don't think are worth much. They'll freak out amateurs, but pros will disable them before they even touch the door. (As Axel Foley said, I've been known to fracture a law or two, and in my misspent youth I bypassed more than one such system.) Steering wheels locks...cut with bolt cutters. Fuel and electric shutoff...winch the car onto a rollback.

So, what I came up with is this. Dig a hole in a garage floor and sink a huge steel post into it. Fill the post with concrete, and pour concrete around it. Weld some big honking chains to that post, something on the order of two inch links. BAck car up to post, wrap links around the rear axle, and secure. They can yank on the car all day long, but it's not going anywhere.

...except, the weak link in this is "how does the chain get attached to the car securely?"

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012 - 10:58:57 PM »
American & Multi lock make a Puck style lock with a sliding pin behind the body . What you would attach it to I have no clue , even bolting to the frame it is not much thicker than sheet metal , easily cut with w torch

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012 - 11:02:04 PM »
I was thinking about welding something to the axle housing itself. They could still cut through it, but it would take time, and in general these guys like to get in, snag and get out.

I had thought about the puck style because of resistance to bolt cutters, but I think they could still be torched pretty easily, right?

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012 - 11:03:53 PM »
Unfortunately there isn't a very "fool-proof" way to do something like this. There is always some way around it if the person has enough time. I'd first start with a heavy swing gate myself.

Depending on your garage, you could have a bolt down heavy steel tubing/square swing gate that will hinder progress. It won't let the car out without a ton of noise an ruckus. It could be ripped from the floor after a truck pull or two, but it won't be easy.

Disabling fuel, spark, etc is all pretty easy and very easy to make a car completely immobile without specific parts or knowledge of the car. Keeping a car from getting onto a roll-back isn't the easiest thing to conquer. If you are really concerned, the best thing you can start with is to be certain the car is properly insured for it's value..even if they don't "get" the car, they can destroy it in the process.

The front K-member and rear differential are probably the strongest points to the entire car given they are unibodies. Very high grade chain poured into the floor and wrapped around the differential is going to be a pain to deal with. But could eventually be cut with enough time...which is where a garage alarm system would be most beneficial. You can shut a car up much quicker than a building in most cases.

While you say they could "yank on the car all day long and it's not going anywhere" is where I get into them destroying the car in the process. A big enough truck and a tied down differential could probably lead to ripping the rear axle out of the car in pretty short work.  However they'd have to get in, disable a shop alarm, get through a gate, try to winch it, realize it's chained down, proceed to try and get the car...all before someone gets to it.

My car is far from as "secure" as it could ever be, but it's insured well enough that can sleep at night.
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2012 - 11:05:43 PM »
I had thought about the puck style because of resistance to bolt cutters, but I think they could still be torched pretty easily, right?

When you talk of "torch" and steel (as long as it's an oxy/acyl torch), there isn't much that isn't "easy"...
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2012 - 11:09:49 PM »
You make some great points, Goody.

I agree that anyone who was really serious could pull whatever I had right out of the ground. Hook a bulldozer up to it and yank. Either the chain or the car (most likely) is going to dramatically fail. But I think, again, that they want an easy mark. They especially don't want to draw attention to themselves. So if I make it exceptionally difficult to get, my guess is that they'll take a hammer and smash the glass, maybe dent every panel, and take off.

As for insurance, you're kinda right there as well. The big difference is that I don't want a repalcement; I want this car  :bigsmile:

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Offline diyhemi.com

• Formerly Yellowfin
    • DIYHEMI.COM
Tough locks
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2012 - 11:14:13 PM »
When I had my ls6 camaro SS, I always worried about it being stolen in the middle of the night. Several of my friends had theirs stolen. ( two of my friends had theirs
 stolen, and their replacement cars stolen!!)

I used to go through a 20 minute process every time I got home to "secure" the car. Removed passenger coil packs, disable stand alone fuel system, chain rear axle to garage post, wedge car in sideways in garage then park truck up against it.

It got to be such a pain and I lost so much sleep over it, that I sold the car. That was back in the college days, and yes I miss the car, lol.

1970 Barracuda Gran Coupe, gen III project (Cone Killing Cuda)

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2012 - 11:16:55 PM »
I hear you there. If it got so bad that I couldn't enjoy the car then it would be counterproductive.

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2012 - 11:30:12 PM »
being a former locksmith , nothing is secure . wire 220 v to the door knob & a wet mat in front of the door at least you will know was trying to steal it !!
 I knew of a bank break in , banks are pretty secure , the site next door was under construction so they hotwired the D9 Cat not hard to do , the cat went through the wall & into the safe relatively easily , not even sure it tripped that alarm as the doors & windows are alarmed !!

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline 1970 RT Challenger 1970

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2012 - 11:30:52 PM »
The M18 Claymore Mine!  :bigsmile:

Offline TorOrange

• Resident
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2012 - 11:33:05 PM »
Here is what I'm thinking about doing when I get me a cuda.

Hidden switches
Steering wheel to all pedals lock
Custom wheel boot on each wheel
Car cover with wires stitched in and 3 locks at the bottom
12 gauge  :naughty:
A tracking system connected to my phone
and finally a viper car alarm

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=viper+car+alarm&oq=viper+car+alarm&aq=f&aqi=g10&aql=&gs_nf=1&gs_l=youtube.3..0l10.28362.30607.0.30816.15.15.0.4.4.0.184.1409.4j7.11.0.
WANTED 71 cuda / barracuda project. Prefer Black but open.

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2012 - 11:42:30 PM »
Well, even if there's not an answer, you guys are making me feel better about my insanity.  :bigsmile:

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2012 - 07:30:05 AM »
Get a pitbull infected with Aids! :lol:   For long term storage ( winter) what about up on jack stands with the wheels off and at a different location?   
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0