Author Topic: Noob from Minnesota - 71 Cuda 340  (Read 2733 times)

Offline Northstar Cuda

Noob from Minnesota - 71 Cuda 340
« on: April 17, 2012 - 08:28:47 PM »
Finally getting back into my favorite (ongoing) project - my first car - InViolet 340! Bought in 1980, before I had my DL, as my brother-in-law was a Mopar Man (and I thank him often  :cheers: ) it had a Macco $99 paint job (brown) and some chicken wire body work & running on 6 cylinders, interior looked like someone sliced & diced. For the whopping sum of $250 it was mine (that's a couple years of Sunday morning papers I delivered!!)  I did a high school shop class engine rebuild, welded in a quarter panel & had a Chevy friend paint it - Daytona Yellow, same as his Camaro ( :clueless: hey i was 17).
Fast forward, tried to sell it twice - the first time I was moving and couldn't take with me.  I know this sounds crazy, but I truely believe in destiny; I had people with cash in hand & his friend to drive it home; and the car wouldn't start!? no matter what we did- 2 days later it started without help...
Second time, with the new Mrs. Northstar Cuda, building our 1st house and I went to sell, my father-in-law took me for a long walk and gave me this sage advice; "some people spend lots of time & cash trying to find or recreate their first car. You may not realize what you have, now, but you will, some day"  He then went on to offer me a place to store it inside & out of the harsh winters!
I am very grateful for the people in my life who have encouraged & assisted with my car, and was very excited to find this site, which i have been prowling for awhile.  Lots of questions coming up, as I purchase floorpans & finishing items (car is 95% there).
Thanks in advance, and I have to say this site has motivated me to get my A$$ in gear!

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
Re: Noob from Minnesota - 71 Cuda 340
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012 - 08:31:26 PM »
 :wave:  welcome ! Nice project! :2thumbs:
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline AARuFAST

• AARuFAST
  • Resident
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012 - 08:56:01 PM »
Great story, Keeper.
"Get Er Done"

Be sure u enter ur ride in the Barra-Cuda vs Challenger Poll.
Click on to view read 1st post and add ur ride.

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=78670.0

http://s612.photobucket.com/albums/tt201/AARuFAST/1970%20Gran%20Cpe%20Convertible/?albumview=slideshow
1970 AAR Cuda
1970 Gran Coupe Ragtop. 1 of 66
Gran Cpe Convertible 1 yr only.

" I Want to Ride "

" I tried to be normal once...
it was the most boring
2 minutes of my life!!!!"

Offline Jamiez

• Retro
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012 - 09:04:14 PM »
Welcome! Great story?  What are your plans for it?  Take it back to stock? Drop a new Hemi in it? :)

Offline jimynick

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012 - 10:45:16 PM »
Welcome to the site! What great luck to have still got your first car, and a Cuda at that. Good luck with the restoration, as well.  :wave:

Offline GranCuda1970

• Sr. Resident
  • Rev 20:4. Mat 6:33 John 1:3 Mat 26:41
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012 - 10:54:57 PM »
Great car a welcome to the site, 71's are just so bad a$$.

Offline MOPAR FANATIC

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012 - 05:59:12 PM »
 :woohoo: A third member from minnesota.where abouts in mn??i'm  from west st paul.great story on your cuda and i bet your glad you kept it.nice looking car by the way and reminds me of the 1st time i saw my 71 chally the day i bought it.bright canary yellow with funkadellic wide side stripes donwn the side,groovy lol.
do you get out to mopars in the park in farmington for the show???or out to car kraft at the fairgrounds in july???

stick around here.alot of great dudes and dudets with a bunch of knowledge on these cars.  :thumbsup:

:cheers: to another minnesota guy.

Dave......................

P/S==== WATCH OUT FOR M.E.K DANGERFIELD,he likes to pic on us minnesotans.  :poopoke:  :stirpot: lol
71 Challenger 340 a/t
2013 Plum Crazy Hemi R/T 6SPD

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2012 - 03:41:06 AM »
Welcome to the site from across the border in Wisconsin! :wave:  That's certainly a cool story about your car & I bet you are certainly glad that you've kept it for all of these years! ;) :2thumbs:
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline Northstar Cuda

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2012 - 11:30:23 AM »
Done!

Great story, Keeper.
"Get Er Done"

Be sure u enter ur ride in the Barra-Cuda vs Challenger Poll.
Click on to view read 1st post and add ur ride.

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=78670.0

http://s612.photobucket.com/albums/tt201/AARuFAST/1970%20Gran%20Cpe%20Convertible/?albumview=slideshow

Offline Northstar Cuda

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2012 - 11:35:08 AM »
am I answering these correctly?? still getting the hang of the forum  :clueless: 
At this time (and budget!) I plan on bringing back to stock & hitting the road - would love to Hemi' ize it, but not happening this decade! Maybe after another 30 years?

Welcome! Great story?  What are your plans for it?  Take it back to stock? Drop a new Hemi in it? :)

Offline Northstar Cuda

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2012 - 11:39:43 AM »
cool!  I belonged to the mopar club & used to be a regular attendee at Mopars in the Park, back when it was at the speedway, when I lived in Mpls - but life (and work) took me northwest, I live outside a small town near Pelican Rapids.  I make the car craft every couple of years, you there? thanks for the welcome & warning  :2thumbs:

:woohoo: A third member from minnesota.where abouts in mn??i'm  from west st paul.great story on your cuda and i bet your glad you kept it.nice looking car by the way and reminds me of the 1st time i saw my 71 chally the day i bought it.bright canary yellow with funkadellic wide side stripes donwn the side,groovy lol.
do you get out to mopars in the park in farmington for the show???or out to car kraft at the fairgrounds in july???

stick around here.alot of great dudes and dudets with a bunch of knowledge on these cars.  :thumbsup:

:cheers: to another minnesota guy.

Dave......................

P/S==== WATCH OUT FOR M.E.K DANGERFIELD,he likes to pic on us minnesotans.  :poopoke:  :stirpot: lol

Offline MOPAR FANATIC

• Resident
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2012 - 02:51:34 PM »
 :wave: SEE shows and drag section.  :thumbsup:
71 Challenger 340 a/t

Offline cudagirl4406pk

• Yes i am a Girl and No you cant drive my CUDA
    • Garageartmusclecars
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2012 - 10:46:50 AM »
Good project keep them pictures  coming on your progress.

michele
Yes i am a girl and no you cant drive my MOPAR :)

Offline hooD

• detroit iron
  • Resident
  • Motor City Made Muscle
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2012 - 04:14:10 AM »
 :cheers:  Welcome to the site!  That cuda was meant to stay with you and be yours!  Keep them pictures flowing.  Welcome once again.
-Larry
member since AUG 2007
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvrWiLgDm7Y

southeastern michigan usa

1973 'CUDA 340

original owner
37,117 miles

:grinyes: *click my E-Body* :grinyes:

Offline MOPAR FANATIC

• Resident
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2012 - 11:20:13 AM »
 :smokin: try to make it this year to mopars in the park,june 2nd and the 3rd.i'll be there along with cudasteve,dodj,rare t/a.we still have to set up a plan where to meet and what time on saturday.see shows and drag section.

:cheers: Dave,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
71 Challenger 340 a/t