Author Topic: SURVIVOR vs. GROUND-UP RESTORATION!  (Read 188378 times)

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
  • I'm Alan G...I'm a Mopar Addict
    • Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration
Re: SURVIVOR vs. GROUND-UP RESTORATION!
« Reply #150 on: December 30, 2012 - 08:41:33 AM »
This kinda crap is why I stopped posting on Moparts....I guess Dave, it just follows you where ever you go.... ;D
Alan.
P.S. I think the 4dr Cuda project is totally cool  :wow: although I think you're heading in the wrong direction with the car. :2cents: (but that's a whole other thread).

Cheers and all the best to you and yours in the New Year  :cheers:
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012 - 08:58:16 AM by anlauto »
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !
www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com

Offline resq302

« Reply #151 on: December 30, 2012 - 10:33:18 AM »
Hi Resq302,

The Duster was a rust free california car, the sheet metal is all original. It is an LA built car, dip primer was dk gray to black.

Mike

Oh, ok Mike.  I thought that was a picture of the floor pan for the daytona.  That would explain a lot. :2thumbs:

Offline resq302

« Reply #152 on: December 30, 2012 - 01:42:50 PM »
Seems like a majority of the rust was on the front fenders and nose cone (with the exception of the back half of the floors and trans hump being rotted out).   Also wonder why the hood was in primer.   Did this vehicle have an engine fire at any point?  Just seems very similar to vehicle fires I have seen after the fact at drills and at junk yards where the rust and damage was.

Offline PasiR

« Reply #153 on: January 03, 2013 - 08:59:41 AM »
Keep the pics coming Dave. Always nice to see your detailed stuff.  :worshippy

Offline resq302

« Reply #154 on: January 03, 2013 - 07:53:08 PM »
How can paint runs be horizontal if the car was basically dipped up and down?  If anything, the runs would have been vertical, not horizontal.

Offline 'Cuda Hunter

• Sr. Resident
  • Tastes Like Chicken
« Reply #155 on: January 03, 2013 - 07:55:55 PM »
Hmmm.     :clueless: :dunno:
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Offline 706pkVert

« Reply #156 on: January 04, 2013 - 12:05:28 AM »
Was it you who incorrectly aged my Reproduction sheet and tried to pass it off as a "real Broadcast Sheet"? 

No, it was Colonel Mustard...in the paint booth with the Norelco razor.  :roflsmiley:

I'm positive anyone with an ounce of intellegence following this thread can see it for exactly what it is!

For those who may not understand...the detectives have just unearthed an old home video that should clarify the situation. Let's roll that beautiful bean footage.... Click this link:

« Last Edit: January 04, 2013 - 12:07:16 AM by 706pkVert »

Offline resq302

« Reply #157 on: January 04, 2013 - 07:18:16 AM »
Finally!  Some documentation related to your work.  It is a bit peculiar that you would want for everyone here to see your reaction upon learning that your OE results went DOWN from the year before!  For the record, the reason this thread was started was due to a pathological liar who went on a GM forum to say my Valiant was a Survivor that was cleaned up and entered in OE Competition.  Any person with "an ounce of intelligence" can see that lie for what it was.  Do you recall who was responsible for that particular lie Mike?   

Now that you have started to post some factual info as it relates to you and your efforts, could you please enlighten us all as to how you restored this fender tag?  :2thumbs:

Dave,

You have to obviously been mistaken.  That fender tag must have been manipulated to look like that condition as there was no evidence of rust or rot.  Oops.  I am mistaken, the magazine article said that there was no BODY rot.  I guess rotting of the metal of the fender tag was acceptable.  They must have one heck of a good secret for regenerating metal.   :roflsmiley:  And here I wasted all of my time and lab work on trying to get body panels to regenerate themselves.  Someone always beats me to the deadline.    :smilielol:

Offline Steve Been

« Reply #158 on: January 04, 2013 - 10:17:11 AM »
The horizontal run is not from painting the valliant it,s from assembly, The green brush on sealer between the fender and apron ran through the hole.If you look at the before picture it,s on the same spot because we did not remove it.This car was not stripped down just repaired.   :2thumbs:

Offline resq302

« Reply #159 on: January 04, 2013 - 10:34:36 AM »
The horizontal run is not from painting the valliant it,s from assembly, The green brush on sealer between the fender and apron ran through the hole.If you look at the before picture it,s on the same spot because we did not remove it.This car was not stripped down just repaired.   :2thumbs:

Steve,

I was referring to the fender that was off the car and had the two colors of primer like it would have been dipped at the factory.  If it was supposed to be replicated like original, how would that fender possibly have horizontal drip lines.  It seems that the fender would have had to be hung with the front of the fender being the lowest position and then dipped like that.  The picture itself is contradicting as to how the paint was actually applied.

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #160 on: January 04, 2013 - 11:10:26 AM »
The vertical runs in the paint near the front market light extend in both the light grey and dark grey colours on that fender. I would assume that the fender had some sort of verticallay dipped primer process BEFORE being attached to the car and run through the large dip tank .  :worshippy
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #161 on: January 04, 2013 - 11:33:17 AM »
Well I'm not Mike so I can't speak for him, but I would think that he replicated the characteristics he found on the car he was restoring just as you have with the cars you restored. No two cars are a like.

When is the Valiant coffee table book coming out, or did I miss that offering ?

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #162 on: January 04, 2013 - 11:57:35 AM »
Well maybe that's the problem...
The three cars talked about in this thread, a black Valiant, blue Duster and a white Daytona were all judged by the same team of judges (give or take a few) all at the same show (within a year or two) and all scored the coveted OE GOLD award.

If you feel that the other two cars are not as worthy of the award as your Valiant, then maybe your problem is with the decicing board of judges and not with the liars and cheats (sarcasm) that restored the other two cars. :dunno:

As far as I know...Your Valiant is still the highest scoring car to date (still not a perfect score if I recall)....Maybe it deserves a special OE GOLD PLUS award or something ?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013 - 12:45:16 PM by anlauto »

Offline resq302

« Reply #163 on: January 04, 2013 - 12:37:48 PM »
I think the whole problem lies in the fact that after the Valiant scored the highest ever score in the history of OE judging, that the following year, rules seemed to be bent or changed.  Repro pieces were supposedly given full credit and weighed the same as an original piece.  The way I understood it ( and I have never had a car judged out there ) was that you had  two conditions you were being judged on..... originality and appearance / condition.  It used to be if you had a repro piece on your car, you got 0 points for originality and if the part was super nice you got the max points, say 10.  The last couple of years, it seemed to be that if you had a repro piece, you got full points for it and it was mainly judged on condition vs. originality of the part.  If that was the case, you might as well just get repro bias ply tires since they  will be new and a heck of a lot cheaper than finding NOS ones and have less chance of them cracking from dry rot!  Same goes for other parts.

Another good example of the inconsistencies in judging is the debacle of the color of the power steering fluid.  That was a huge thing a few years ago but did anyone get deducted points for it this year or last year for having different fluid than what was proved to be right with the Valiant?  (Chrysler's own words, black and white if I remember right)

So, yes, you are right that they all scored the coveted OE Gold standard award, however, because the judging format was changed along the way.  Kinda like two people going to a show.  One person drives their car there and takes extreme measures to prevent chips, wear, etc while the other person shrink wraps their car inside a state of the art enclosed trailer so as not to even get any dust on the car till it is time for judging.  One person will obviously have an easier time achieving the goal than the other even though, they most likely would end up with the same award.

Offline 706pkVert

« Reply #164 on: January 04, 2013 - 06:14:42 PM »
Wow Dave, you are so utterly clueless and pathetic......What a desperate cry for attention these threads have become for you!

Would you like me to send you a lock of my hair?, so you can make a voodoo doll in my likeness.

You are certainly digging your feet in as a creepy STALKER.

If you have to ask about the ORIGINAL paint run orientation on the Duster's fenders , then I can't help you. You need to look no further than your own pictures for quantifiable critiques. Nice spark plugs in the Challenger, what a rookie mistake! Not 1 inspection marking looks the same as your original pictures in any of your cars. Temp sender painted in place? LOL. 1000 word carpet restore process? LOL.

Your Black Cuda is a joke as far as OE goes. Your Valiant is what I'd call a beautiful clean-up, detail fluff and buff, scuff & squirt job...I have way more respect for your Challenger which still has its faults. One phrase comes to mind..."Close but no cigar!"....Bad toupee as you say?

Good luck with your 69 Trans Am project, I'm sure that non-numbers matching rot box will be everything and MORE you personalities want it to be. Just don't forget the pictures you sent me...I'll keep those for a rainy day in the future perhaps...

You're all caught up with dubios efforts and trying to point the finger....funny you have never posted pics of your Challengers engine block before resto..are the re-stamp rumors true? Talk about a hypocrite....

To think a shop like mine having to justify its restoration efforts to the likes of you...an insignificant little nothing of a person. How comical!

You are nothing more than a junior helper to your hired help!

Love,
Mike

PS: the video I posted was about you...but I'm sure you knew that!
PSS: Say HI to Scott Fuller for me!