Author Topic: SURVIVOR vs. GROUND-UP RESTORATION!  (Read 188413 times)

Offline resq302

Re: SURVIVOR vs. GROUND-UP RESTORATION!
« Reply #195 on: January 11, 2013 - 10:58:23 PM »
Sounds like I might have to start saving up for one of these cars for the wife!  She always did have a soft spot for the early mustang convertibles! :2thumbs:

Offline resq302

« Reply #196 on: January 14, 2013 - 06:24:14 PM »
Wow.  Im at a loss for words how fantastic that turned out!  Great job on putting it together.  Also, love the fact that you left the bolt that fell in between the intake runners and replaced it in the same area.   :2thumbs:

Offline GranCuda1970

• Sr. Resident
  • Rev 20:4. Mat 6:33 John 1:3 Mat 26:41
« Reply #197 on: January 14, 2013 - 07:09:51 PM »
 I think your process of restoration is fantastic and the cars are simply stunning after your work. Great vid.  :bigshades:

Offline resq302

« Reply #198 on: January 14, 2013 - 07:52:43 PM »
Oh, I thought it was a bolt for something like the intake that was dropped and they just grabbed another one.  Either way, still cool you left it there!  Shows exactly how sloppy these cars were made and they never were a pristine quality of workmanship. :2thumbs:

Offline resq302

« Reply #199 on: January 15, 2013 - 12:42:54 PM »
Dave, thats awesome!  Those videos and commercials..... wow.  All I can say is you NAILED the wow factor!  Again, great job to you and your team!

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
  • I'm Alan G...I'm a Mopar Addict
    • Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration
« Reply #200 on: January 15, 2013 - 03:37:51 PM »
Videos are neat, I like the commercials too :thumbsup:

Think your clock is about 2 minutes slow though... :2cents: :)
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !
www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com

Offline resq302

« Reply #201 on: January 15, 2013 - 04:01:55 PM »
Here is the entire video series that was displayed with the Valiant at the 2010 Mopar Nationals.

Project Valiant - Part 1 of 2

Project Valiant - Part 2 of 2

Looking back on the inspection and paint marks.... Dave, those are way off compared to the originals.  I even went as far as going down into my basement  and checking out my hotwheels carrier and mine looks nothing like the one in the commercial.  With all of the other hard work you did on the car in other areas, you would think that you would have at least put the inspection marks on there in a "manipulated" fashion so they looked like they would have been from the factory.   :smilielol:

Offline resq302

« Reply #202 on: January 15, 2013 - 04:40:36 PM »
That can happen when you use a different part with different thread cuts.

Ok, now I'm totally confused!   :clueless:

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #203 on: January 15, 2013 - 05:07:29 PM »
Thought that would have been restored not replaced, but I understand the different thread cut. :thumbsup:
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #204 on: January 15, 2013 - 05:57:19 PM »
I wasn't complaining, only making a joke...like resq302 does all the time....
Guess you don't pick up on my sense of humor  :roflsmiley:

Offline resq302

« Reply #205 on: January 15, 2013 - 06:32:27 PM »
Anlauto,

Sometimes it is hard to tell what someones demeanor is when another person reads their words typed out.  I know some of the conversations I have taken the wrong way at work on the mobile data terminals in the patrol cars.    Im sure its all good.

Regarding the yellow landing strip on the third member.  I have never seen any break down for what one solid yellow stripe means.  Maybe it is a 1:1 since it is ONE large stripe?  Or maybe a 2:1 seing how it is a 2" long stripe that is 1" wide.   :roflsmiley:   ( I also just noticed that the rolling smiley has no arms!!!!!  Arrggghhh!  )    :clueless:

Offline DodgeMaterial

• DodgeMaterial - JS29U0B & WS23V0A - St Louis, MO
« Reply #206 on: January 16, 2013 - 11:12:42 PM »
Dave, I really like the before/after shots for the inspection markings.  I'm in Chicago this week spending time at the office, and as I recall, I was in Chicago when you installed those marks.  Usually, I DO NOT like being here, but I was glad that I was those nights... I believe you and Tom spent a bit of time perfecting the duplication of those marks and i'm glad i missed those ordeals! The pictures prove you stayed true to the mission.  I remember we all spent time analyzing the logical motions the worker took back in 70 and practicing the same motions to mimic the marks. Tom's photos were so valuable in this area!  Same with your patience and determination to keep it like it was.  Those pictures illustrate that the workers were certainly not artists, and that the "neatness" of their work was inconsequential. Unfortunately a lot of restorations go to extremes to make marks pretty and neat...which isn't authentic. Keep 'em coming.
DodgeMaterial - Dave
- JS29U0B-FK5
- WS23V0A-EB5

Offline resq302

« Reply #207 on: January 17, 2013 - 02:06:12 AM »
C'mon Dave!  Anyone can see that the drip has been manipulated to be 2 mm too thick at the drip edge.   :poopoke:

Offline resq302

« Reply #208 on: January 17, 2013 - 12:18:13 PM »
Dave,

I gotta ask.  What is your secret to keeping your sanity during the whole process that you endured with the valiant?  You must have the patience of a monk!

Offline resq302

« Reply #209 on: January 17, 2013 - 07:37:38 PM »
Should be interesting to see what "inspection marks" Team 4 door cuda does. :2thumbs: