Author Topic: SURVIVOR vs. GROUND-UP RESTORATION!  (Read 188423 times)

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
  • I'm Alan G...I'm a Mopar Addict
    • Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration
Re: SURVIVOR vs. GROUND-UP RESTORATION!
« Reply #210 on: January 18, 2013 - 05:59:30 PM »
Dave
With those undercoating pictures above. Did you remove 100% of the original undercoating and replace it with new, copying the original patterns ?

I thought I've read in the past where you were able to save the original undercoating by filling in any missing chipped areas and re-blackening the entire area ?

If so, what product did you come up with that match the original undercoating ?

Alan
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !
www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com

Offline 'Cuda Hunter

• Sr. Resident
  • Tastes Like Chicken
« Reply #211 on: January 18, 2013 - 09:32:47 PM »
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #212 on: January 18, 2013 - 09:58:49 PM »
Thanks for that link, very interesting.....
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !

Offline DodgeMaterial

• DodgeMaterial - JS29U0B & WS23V0A - St Louis, MO
« Reply #213 on: January 20, 2013 - 07:17:28 PM »
Dave - This is killing my back and feet looking at those pictures.  Inch by inch for 8 or so months every night after work.  Oh - I meant to tell you - I discovered a 1970 memo directing the plant that all 4 Door Cuda's were to be factory undercoated cars! :22yikes: Just kidding! But you can use the techniques we mastered to do the wheel wells on the 4 Door Cuda project.   Dave
DodgeMaterial - Dave
- JS29U0B-FK5
- WS23V0A-EB5

Offline 68bee

« Reply #214 on: January 21, 2013 - 12:57:15 AM »
Dave, This is a great thread with plenty of information.  Can you post some pictures of the Valiants gas pedal bracket.  I'm looking to see if it was painted or bare metal.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013 - 10:39:13 AM by 68bee »

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #215 on: January 21, 2013 - 01:08:50 PM »
Incorrect spray patterns such as these received a 70 point OE deduction prior to the 2011 Mopar Nationals.
Are you saying that cars judged in 2012 were not subject to the same point deduction system?

Offline DodgeMaterial

« Reply #216 on: January 21, 2013 - 01:13:41 PM »
Dave, please post some underbody pictures of your Challenger that show the proper paint patterns.
DodgeMaterial - Dave
- JS29U0B-FK5
- WS23V0A-EB5

Offline DodgeMaterial

« Reply #217 on: January 21, 2013 - 01:15:28 PM »
Are you saying that cars judged in 2012 were not subject to the same point deduction system?

Do you mean like not using a lift to judge the underbody?  I would say the program has changed... :2cents:
DodgeMaterial - Dave
- JS29U0B-FK5
- WS23V0A-EB5

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #218 on: January 21, 2013 - 01:18:44 PM »
Obviously not!

Ahhh...you lost me on that one...
My ASSUMPTION....Your Hemicuda and or Challenger were subject to this deduction....but you corrected any chance of that happening with your Valiant in 2011....but now you're saying that cars judged this year were not deducted for obvious infractions ?? Yet all the cars received OE GOLD ?

Please correct me if I'm wrong...

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #219 on: January 21, 2013 - 01:20:02 PM »
Dave, please post some underbody pictures of your Challenger that show the proper paint patterns.

:iagree: I joined this site for my love of E Bodies...Enough with the A Body stuff ! Let's see some Challenger pictures  :villagers:

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #220 on: January 21, 2013 - 01:48:55 PM »
So is there some sort of sanctioning board that controls the judging at this level? If not, why not get involved in developing such a thing ? You certainly seem to have a passion for it....

You've personally come up through the ranks with your three Mopars judged....I recall (correct me if I'm wrong) that the Valiant was to be your last entry in the Mopar Nationals OE judging....

If so, why not get involved in the judging aspect of it, if not on the grass looking up, maybe over seeing the judges to insure fair point deductions across the board and also improvements to the judging from year to year.... :dunno:
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013 - 01:50:28 PM by anlauto »

Offline resq302

« Reply #221 on: January 21, 2013 - 01:57:51 PM »
And how many points deduction for the "incorrect" power steering fluid that you proved to be the CORRECT power steering fluid?   :smilielol:

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #222 on: January 21, 2013 - 02:26:12 PM »
Well it seems to me that you got into the reproduction decal business because you knew you could do it better, carpet, parcel shelves, etc..., now exhaust all because of inferior products on the market....

Over the years I've constantly heard remarks and comments directed towards the OE judging staff, so maybe it's time for someone to build a company to provide the Mopar enthusiast with a board or judges that work under a strict set of guide lines control by a convener like yourself. Present it to the owner of the Mopar Nationals and even consider traveling to other shows across North America.

DW for President  :bigsmile:

Offline resq302

« Reply #223 on: January 21, 2013 - 04:11:31 PM »
Now Dave, I hope you are not throwing ALL Mopar people into the label of that!  You have helped us immensely with the techniques you came up with when we got our 70 challenger convert back stock appearing. :2thumbs:

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #224 on: January 21, 2013 - 07:00:43 PM »
It's hard to understand why all the disgruntled  hatred

I could think of a few reasons, but I'm not going to open that pickle jar... :roflsmiley: