Author Topic: SURVIVOR vs. GROUND-UP RESTORATION!  (Read 188424 times)

Offline resq302

Re: SURVIVOR vs. GROUND-UP RESTORATION!
« Reply #60 on: July 10, 2012 - 03:10:57 PM »
wow, they really covered the floor on that car with paint.  Usually it did not get that much and was only over spray.  Almost looks like they were trying to cover up the blue on purpose that was on the floors.

Offline Dodge Guy

« Reply #61 on: July 13, 2012 - 08:25:26 AM »
I have been following this thread with awe.  One area that I'd like to learn more about is engine and trans VIN stampings.  Can you show us examples from the Valiant,  and educate us a bit more on the subject?

Offline RamSRT

• LS27P9B
« Reply #62 on: July 13, 2012 - 01:28:38 PM »
I have been following this thread with awe.  One area that I'd like to learn more about is engine and trans VIN stampings.  Can you show us examples from the Valiant,  and educate us a bit more on the subject?

Dave,

Now the can of worms has been opened.  How are you going to explain rebodying and restamping that 68 Hemi Super Stock Dart into a 4 Door Slant 6 Valiant?  :lol: :rofl:

Tom

RPM Guy

Offline 'Cuda Hunter

• Sr. Resident
  • Tastes Like Chicken
« Reply #63 on: July 16, 2012 - 09:50:17 AM »
Are the two pictures above the same vin stamp?  On the engine?

Does the transmission have the same odd stamping on the first two digits?
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Offline MoparPate

« Reply #64 on: July 18, 2012 - 11:05:45 AM »
Dave,

Now can you show us examples of the zeros that may be restamps/ fake  you may have encountered over the years.  Perhaps a comparison would be helpful.

Offline MoparPate

« Reply #65 on: July 18, 2012 - 12:35:35 PM »
Excellent....thanks.

Offline resq302

« Reply #66 on: July 23, 2012 - 09:46:35 PM »
Ok, that explains a LOT Dave!  Thanks for that tid bit.  I was wondering on the spare set of door hinges I have for my car why there was green paint on it and just had thought it was F8 dark green metallic paint that was on there.  I guess you do learn something new every day! :2thumbs:

Offline resq302

« Reply #67 on: July 24, 2012 - 11:34:04 PM »
Dave,

Amazing as always.   :2thumbs:  Family is doing good.  The 18 mos old is getting sick again with either a head cold or allergies / sinus problems so hopefully that does not turn into yet another ear infection.  But aside from that everyone is doing well. 

It looks like that inspection mark on the K frame was orange instead of white.  Did that just discolor over the years or did rust bleed through?  No matter how many times I see these pictures, I am absolutely amazed at how exact you and your crew got everything dead on back to the position it was before.  Truly amazing!

Offline resq302

« Reply #68 on: July 26, 2012 - 10:06:19 AM »
Funny, I use the same cardboard idea with bolts and such especially when working on my engine.   :smilielol:

You may have spent countless hours indexing the bolts and putting everything back to where it was when you removed them but to me, that invested time is what makes the car so much better of a restoration.  Your crew certainly goes far above and beyond what any other restoration company has that I have seen.  And to me, that is what makes a car that much better, the details that are put into the restoration.

Offline resq302

« Reply #69 on: July 28, 2012 - 12:49:07 AM »
Dave,

It almost looks as if there had been a mask of some kind on the lower edge of the inner part of the door by where the door skin was folded over.  The application of the paint seems to have been from the outside (door skin side) being shot up and under the door.  The part that baffles me is how the bottom edge of the door was left bare metal and why it would have been left like that especially that area would have been prone to water and possibly salt from winter roads.

Offline Dodge Guy

« Reply #70 on: August 04, 2012 - 07:35:14 AM »
Dave,

I saw a thread on moparts that had photos of a  restored starter and alternator.  How did you restore the ones on your Valiant?  Are they blasted somehow, or how is the metal made to look like new.  How was the starter painted? 

Offline GranCuda1970

• Sr. Resident
  • Rev 20:4. Mat 6:33 John 1:3 Mat 26:41
« Reply #71 on: August 04, 2012 - 07:51:52 AM »
Really quite interesting learning what was done during the manufacturing process! Keep this thread going darn good read.

Offline resq302

« Reply #72 on: August 07, 2012 - 12:21:30 PM »
Damn Dave!  That sure is purdy!  I always drool when I see the finished product!

Offline spamtank

« Reply #73 on: August 07, 2012 - 06:51:09 PM »
Damn Dave!  That sure is purdy!  I always drool when I see the finished product!

:iagree:  Almost a shame to have to put it back in the car where you don't get to fully appreciate the craftsmanship.
Rick, Manchester, NH
1970 SE 383 2V AT Challenger
1977 M882/W200 Power Wagon
2013 RT Plus 6M

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #74 on: August 07, 2012 - 09:16:01 PM »
 :iagree: It would be interesting to do a cutaway car with these procedures for car shows.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars