Author Topic: SURVIVOR vs. GROUND-UP RESTORATION!  (Read 188471 times)

Offline ECS

SURVIVOR vs. GROUND-UP RESTORATION!
« on: April 27, 2012 - 01:21:35 PM »
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014 - 01:15:55 AM by ECS »

Offline ragtopdodge

• Resident
Re: SURVIVOR vs. GROUND-UP RESTORATION!
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012 - 01:49:33 PM »
Hmm...you're definitely the expert, but with starting with a survivor, you get the luxury of being able to see original paint runs, paint dabs, markings, and no hidden (at least, mostly) damage/rust than starting with a basket case.

I think whether starting with either a survivor or not, you're still doing a ground-up restoration.  It's just the end goal that matters, doesn't it?  I mean, OEM NATS Gold vs. nicely restored, 1.5 condition, 90 point (not 97 or 98) car.
'70 318-auto Chally 'vert
'71 383-auto 'Cuda 'vert (sold)
06 300c SRT8
04 2500 QCLB 4x4 HO

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012 - 05:18:58 PM »
Just keep posting photos!  I love to see the work you have done!!!!!!   :worshippy
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

Offline usraptr

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012 - 07:58:46 PM »
 :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
1970 Plymouth 'Cuda.  Matching numbers 440 U Code, 4 speed pistol grip, Rallye dash, AM 8 Track, Shaker hood, 15 inch rallye wheels, Dana 60 4.10, Super Track Pak.  One of 134 - 440 "U" coupes codes built in 1970 and one of 100 - 440 Super Track Paks built in 1970.

Restoration pictures at:  http://spanks4thememory.smugmug.com/Cars/70-Cuda/7240639_M24oi#465274575_2MBqW
(Edited 8-1-17)

"usraptr" = United States raptor - bird of prey = United States Bald Eagle.  FYI, somebody else thought of it first so I had to drop the "O" in raptor.

Offline JoltinJoe

• BALZ TO THE WALZ MAN
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012 - 08:27:14 PM »
This is awesome.  Like reading a good book - With Pictures! :picture:
HIS: '68 GMC 3/4 ton pick-up truck, '73 Barracuda, '87 Firebird, '01 Jeep Cherokee and finally a '70 Barracuda Convertible!
HERS: 1980 Toyota Starlet, 1995 SAAB 9-5 and then '01 SAAB 9-3 and currently '08 Saab 9-3 convertible!
NEXT IS MINE: purple 2010 Dodge Challenger!!!

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012 - 10:07:44 PM »
Have you had any contact with assembly line workers back when these were being built?
If so, what did you learn from them?

I would love to hear stories on what they did, why they did this or that to the cars on the assembly lines.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012 - 10:54:55 PM »
Dave, are you planning on posting any pictures of your latest project?

Offline 1ownr

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2012 - 10:25:50 AM »
very interesting info, having the luxury of having a survivor, there are memories that seem to stand out in our minds. Your thread regarding paint used was interesting in that we remember quite clearly that our cuda never had a high gloss or very metallic finish for Tor Red, although that is how many are restored these days. We go back and forth between the level of restoration for our cuda and appreciate that many would not want a trailer queen to just sit and never be used. We also appreciate the apprehension of having a car that many would view as a "nice catch" to be wisked off to some foreign land. For now it waits it's turn for $$ to able to restore it correctly and probably become a trailer queen, although we still say it WILL be driven at least in Carlisle to the Show grounds!

judy

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2012 - 11:55:14 AM »
Something I'm curious about that might relate to this. I was reading info on broadcast sheet codes the other day, and one code translated to something like "buff paint." This apparently indicates some extra degree of buffing that some cars got, and others didn't get. Does this have something to do with why some cars didn't look"as glossy"?

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline RamSRT

• LS27P9B
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2012 - 05:01:24 PM »
Something I'm curious about that might relate to this. I was reading info on broadcast sheet codes the other day, and one code translated to something like "buff paint." This apparently indicates some extra degree of buffing that some cars got, and others didn't get. Does this have something to do with why some cars didn't look"as glossy"?

Great question -  the buffed or show car prep was an internal code that was applied by the company for those vehicles that were designated for shows or exhibits. It was exactly as it seems. The paint was hand buffed and inspected after assembly. Obviously the plant was limited in this option since it was labor intensive. Also it was operator sensative as you would expect. I have seen great examples and I have seen some that were less than satisfactory.  If you see the code more than likely it was a display vehicle where the company wanted it to look as good as possible. Having spent 30 years with Chrysler I even ordered a company car with the code to see the difference.  Todays paints and robotic operation have really negated the need for such a code .  Back when they were single stage paint a little buff and polish would make them slicker.

Also to the point of under hood/ trunk , jam areas on the older vehicles. These areas were hand cut in by an operator  then the trunk, hood and doors were closed most of the way and the outside paint was applied to the car in a different station.  Over spray from the outside would normally blow into these semi concealed areas since they were not taped off. Sometimes it would give the concealed area a hazzy look depending on how much drying time the cut in area received. It was the same single stage paint as applied to the outside. In the 90's some of the plants even briely left off body color in the engine compartments to save costs. But most customers would ask what happened here ( especially on darker vehicles) and the plants eventuallty went back to painting  body color. I destinctly remember a dark blue car at a dealership with no paint in the engine compartment, minimal paint on the bottom of the hood and minimal paint in the door hinge area.  Today with base clear systems only the certain parts of the vehicles actually receive clear coats for higher gloss. Many concealed areas just have the base ( flat )  color applied if any paint is even applied.

Also a bit of trivia, some assy plants painting cars with body color gas caps back in the day would usually have the gas cap placed on top of the rear shelf panel and it was painted when the outside of the car was being sprayed. This way it would match the outside of the car since the filler neck was not in the car during paint operations. We found the ring on the shelf panel of the Valiant where the body color gas cap was placed. If you see a round area on your rear shelf panel that looks like something was sitting on the shelf it's probably the body colored gas cap. Will try to post a picture next week.

Great question

Tom

Offline Jesus H Chrysler

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2012 - 02:16:10 PM »
That is a phenomenal piece of history you have there!  You're lucky to have known these people.
Yes I own a 1972 Dodge Challenger Convertible T/A S/E with a 440 Six Pak. Can it get any more wrong?

{OO /===\ OO}
(OO==> <==OO)

Greg, in the middle of MA has:
1970 Dodge Coronet 440 "Zom Bee"
1972 Dodge Challenger convertible 440 5 speed.
1973 Dodge Challenger 318 "Brown Bomber"
2012 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic Blackberry Pearl.
2001 Jeep Wrangler locked, lifted and lighted.  "Jeep is a registered trademark of Chrysler Corporation"

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2012 - 02:17:39 PM »
I agree. Without a doubt that is one of the coolest things I've ever seen.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Offline spamtank

SURVIVOR vs. GROUND-UP RESTORATION!
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2012 - 02:59:33 PM »
:popcorn:
Rick, Manchester, NH
1970 SE 383 2V AT Challenger
1977 M882/W200 Power Wagon
2013 RT Plus 6M

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2012 - 03:31:42 PM »
Any cool info on Dick Teague?  :bigsmile:

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Offline resq302

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2012 - 08:39:01 PM »
Dave,

Ive told you in person and I will repeat it on here again!  You and your team are artists who do the most amazing work I have ever seen.  I can only imagine what this new project will look like!   :2thumbs:  Keep up the good work my friend!

Brian