Author Topic: SURVIVOR vs. GROUND-UP RESTORATION!  (Read 188387 times)

Offline 706pkVert

Re: SURVIVOR vs. GROUND-UP RESTORATION!
« Reply #135 on: December 28, 2012 - 06:00:45 PM »
Of course not mike!  That hole where the battery tray is, certainly shows some grass growing from the ground "surface".  Why don't you quit while you're behind?  You parsing and twisting of the truth has been uncovered.

Dave, I am not sure what you are seeing but there was no rot there.

Offline 706pkVert

« Reply #136 on: December 28, 2012 - 06:01:37 PM »
Of course they were you ol' truth teller.....
Give me a minute to re-size, i'll post some pics of the before and after lines.

Offline 706pkVert

« Reply #137 on: December 28, 2012 - 06:06:01 PM »
Give me a minute to re-size, i'll post some pics of the before and after lines.

Here are pics of some of the lines, before and after restore. Lines that had gravel guard on them... I cut off the original gravel guard and installed new raw steel guard,( not the readily avail. stainless stuff) I then coated all lines with RPM!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012 - 06:11:16 PM by 706pkVert »

Offline 'Cuda Hunter

• Sr. Resident
  • Tastes Like Chicken
« Reply #138 on: December 28, 2012 - 09:48:41 PM »
I just like seeing the restorations.

Got more pics of this restoration?

"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Offline resq302

« Reply #139 on: December 29, 2012 - 01:46:45 PM »

Here are pics of some of the lines, before and after restore. Lines that had gravel guard on them... I cut off the original gravel guard and installed new raw steel guard,( not the readily avail. stainless stuff) I then coated all lines with RPM!

Mike,

Those lines cleaned up really nice.  They look practically brand new!  Also, that floor pan seems to be in pristine condition.  Was that taken off of a low mileage donor car?  Also, is that black paint on the underside of the pan?  I was always led to believe they were dipped in gray primer?

Offline 'Cuda Hunter

• Sr. Resident
  • Tastes Like Chicken
« Reply #140 on: December 29, 2012 - 03:38:01 PM »
I would very much like to see your restorations Vert.
Got anything that is not in a magazine.
After looking through all your posts I can't find any restoration pictures.
However it does seem like you do a good bit for the hobby with your restorations.
I'd like to see more than just sales pictures on the website.

I like cars.

"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Offline 'Cuda Hunter

• Sr. Resident
  • Tastes Like Chicken
« Reply #141 on: December 29, 2012 - 03:38:59 PM »
I am glad that we are going to get to see some more of the valiant.
Can't wait !

Offline MY J0B

« Reply #142 on: December 29, 2012 - 05:06:08 PM »
Back to the original topic...

ECS has done a full restoration on a Survivor Valiant with the best results one could imagine...OE GOLD

Tony D restored a rust bucket Daytona with the same results...OE GOLD

Which restoration was more involved or entailed more intensive labor to get the same OE GOLD result ?

If the Valiant was more involved, is it easier to restore a rust bucket to OE GOLD ?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012 - 05:26:38 PM by MY J0B »

Offline resq302

« Reply #143 on: December 29, 2012 - 05:17:17 PM »
I remember seeing a thread or post where Dave and Team Valiant went through and made sure to index all of the nuts and bolts back to where they were removed.  Almost dead on if you saw the before and after pics!  I can imagine how many more hours of time that added up to trying to get everything back to the exact position which it was removed.  And here I thought I was anal retentive!   :roflsmiley:  However, its the small things like that which make the overall project that much better I think.

Offline MY J0B

« Reply #144 on: December 29, 2012 - 10:36:05 PM »
Okay, in your own words, it's 10X easier to restore a rust bucket....

I can see that... :o

But I would have to give more credit to someone that replaced 80% of the floors in a car then to someone who spent six months cleaning a carpet to get the same Gold trophie

If every car entered in to the Nats judging started life like your Valiant, then it would be safe to say that any dedicated team could achieve Gold cleaning and restoring all the original parts.
But when you start with a rust bucket and achieve the same Gold award, I would think that it would be more of an achievement  :dunno:

With your team achieving gold doing it both ways, I can't quite see the excitement with the Valiant vs your Challenger or Cuda ?
Just my :2cents:

Offline MY J0B

« Reply #145 on: December 29, 2012 - 11:02:51 PM »
Hey don't get me wrong, I'm not saying your Valiant was a simple task, a walk in the park.
I'm saying you had all the original parts, you exhausted many hours cleaning and preparing each part to look new again, I get that, clocking each bolt, I get that.

What I'm saying is, you didn't have to fire up the plasma torch, hack out the rust and install replacement panels, finish and detail each seam to look new again. Seems more involved to me, if not more, then equal. Why bust a nut on the guy ?  :clueless:

Both you guys started with very different projects but both ended up with the same  Gold award.

I think you both get a  :worshippy :worshippy

Offline 'Cuda Hunter

• Sr. Resident
  • Tastes Like Chicken
« Reply #146 on: December 29, 2012 - 11:06:35 PM »
 :iagree: :worshippy :worshippy

Wow!  That's incredible.

Offline 706pkVert

« Reply #147 on: December 30, 2012 - 12:26:41 AM »
Mike,

Those lines cleaned up really nice.  They look practically brand new!  Also, that floor pan seems to be in pristine condition.  Was that taken off of a low mileage donor car?  Also, is that black paint on the underside of the pan?  I was always led to believe they were dipped in gray primer?

Hi Resq302,

The Duster was a rust free california car, the sheet metal is all original. It is an LA built car, dip primer was dk gray to black.

Mike

Offline 706pkVert

« Reply #148 on: December 30, 2012 - 12:46:59 AM »
With all due respect, what in the world makes you think you have ANY qualified opinion as to what we did during this project? 

Dave, look in the mirror and repeat the above to yourself.

If you wish to truly post side by side restoration comparisons, I may entertain that with my customers ONCE you have completed your very first 69 Daytona and 70 Duster OE GOLD Winning restorations.

The before pics of the Daytona have been posted online and in MCG.

Offline 706pkVert

« Reply #149 on: December 30, 2012 - 01:35:14 AM »
Dave,
I am sure I picked your brain in the past. As a young and enthusiastic hobbiest, I am always trying to grow my skill set and learn new things that may or may not be better, now I am being belittled for discussing restoration topics with you in the past? I guess you were born pre-programmed with your seemingly infinate wisdom.

Since you are a vendor and sell products, yes I have used your decals and products in past restorations. This is a problem?  You do market them to be sold right?   

Again, you have never seen the Daytona and the Duster in person. You have no clue what my OE Gold restorations entail or look like completed....

Almost all of our restoration work is done in house. Yes we send starters and alternators to Jim Ridge. We send out chrome work and seat belt re-webbing, that's about it for sub contracting. We do more in house than any other shop I am aware of.

You do not do all of your restoration work in house Dave. You are not a restoration shop. You hire others to assist you in your projects. You have commended Jules the wiper man among many other companies in the past for doing great work for you!

Of the many successful businesses I own and operate, one of them does not happen to be a babysitting service. I am respectfully discontinuing my participation in this thread for the time being.  Thanks for the spirited conversation however.

Happy New Year, I wish you the best for 2013! Keep up the excellent work!
Mike