Author Topic: SURVIVOR vs. GROUND-UP RESTORATION!  (Read 188410 times)

Offline resq302

Re: SURVIVOR vs. GROUND-UP RESTORATION!
« Reply #165 on: January 04, 2013 - 06:58:18 PM »
Mike,

I am pretty sure that I was the one who had inquired about the paint runs on the fender for the Duster, not Dave.  Honestly, I have NEVER seen any runs like that before which contradicts how the factory dipping process was.  Are you trying to say that the fenders were not attached to the body when it went through the first phosphate dip (step 4) and that they were assembled onto the car prior to the second primer dip (step 7).  I fail to see how time saving and cost efficient that would have been for Chrysler.  Of all the cars I have judged at the AACA level, I have never seen anything as contradicting as the inside of that fender.  Again, I have not seen every single car that Chrysler has put out (which I highly doubt anyone has) but I find that to be very, very unlikely that it would have occurred.  The only logical explanation I could see is if the Duster had been in an accident and the body shop had hung it like that to prime it before installing it to paint and blend.  Even with that, I highly doubt that they would have then went to the trouble of putting the second, darker primer color on.

Also, if all of Dave's other cars are such a joke, then I guess all of the cars after that are an even bigger joke in the OE competition since some peoples vehicles are far deviated from what the Valiant was.  Again, I am going by pictures of what I have seen and other cars I have seen out at Carlisle prior to the Nats this year and even at Mopar shows AFTER the nats.  Again, I have yet to see any car be ABSOLUTELY perfect as there is always some kind of flaw that is either over looked or done a certain way due to lack of funds, availablility of NOS parts, whatever. 

Offline resq302

« Reply #166 on: January 04, 2013 - 11:15:03 PM »
Dave,

Have you gone to the dark side going to GM "Pontiac" stuff now?  What is this talk of a Trans Am?  Please don't say that you have given up or abandoned Mopar's due to a few insignificant keyboard commandos.

By the way, nice job on the "Your Valiant is what I'd call a beautiful clean-up, detail fluff and buff, scuff & squirt job..." :2thumbs:    :smilielol:  I just have to know since you gave the Valiant a "fluff and buff" did it call you the next morning?   :smilielol: :roflsmiley:  To me, pulling everything apart like that is a far cry from a "squirt and shine".

Offline 'Cuda Hunter

• Sr. Resident
  • Tastes Like Chicken
« Reply #167 on: January 05, 2013 - 12:46:29 AM »
I would be interested in seeing the T/A.

I'm was a full pontiac guy until I drove a 383.

"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Offline 'Cuda Hunter

• Sr. Resident
  • Tastes Like Chicken
« Reply #168 on: January 05, 2013 - 01:37:38 AM »
WZ blocks are still very hard to find and quite pricey.

For that matter, W blocks are difficult to find.
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Offline 'Cuda Hunter

• Sr. Resident
  • Tastes Like Chicken
« Reply #169 on: January 05, 2013 - 02:18:41 AM »
I'm Fat Cat 2+2 over on PY.
Not a bad forum.

Not as nice as this one for sure.

I'd love to see the progress wether it be here or on another forum.

I currently have, 69 428 Grand Prix.  2 70 firebird's.  a 66 2+2 421 original block.  a 98 trans am ram air 1 of 1400. and a 67 Lemans clone to gto but I left the side gills.

I've had many many more in the past. 

Offline Steve Been

« Reply #170 on: January 05, 2013 - 01:23:58 PM »
Dave you must have grabbed an old picture because we changed those plugs to champions before it left my shop.As for as the temp sending unit goes it was painted in the engine just like all the engines, :clueless: you probably have old pictures of that in archive.When we were judged at the show they tried to do there best to find any thing wrong because they can not give a perfect score to any car. I think we made it hard for the judges to come up with the piont deductions they wanted. :bigsmile:

Offline resq302

« Reply #171 on: January 05, 2013 - 03:32:55 PM »
Steve,

If they were trying to come up with areas to deduct points, that would explain a lot as to why they "made up" stuff to deduct points on.

Offline DodgeMaterial

• DodgeMaterial - JS29U0B & WS23V0A - St Louis, MO
« Reply #172 on: January 05, 2013 - 05:14:39 PM »
Dave W - I don't know why this guy tries to restore cars - he ought to be in the fluff and buff business..."Your Valiant is what I'd call a beautiful clean-up, detail fluff and buff, scuff & squirt job..." Obviously an immature dig on the Valiant - we all can see by the pictures that the car received a complete restoration, documenting every detail before and after to ensure correctness.  I would like to see the same photo evidence for some of that guy's work -showing the same details.  Doubt we will.  Hats off to you for sharing all of the restoration aspects of your projects, most "restoration shops" do NOT want to show all of their work...just some final glamor shots.
DodgeMaterial - Dave
- JS29U0B-FK5
- WS23V0A-EB5

Offline DodgeMaterial

• DodgeMaterial - JS29U0B & WS23V0A - St Louis, MO
« Reply #173 on: January 05, 2013 - 05:49:02 PM »
Dave W - WOW! "no rust whatsoever...body rot virtually non-existent"?  Fluff and Buff?  I think someone is really stretching the truth - am I missing something?  This is a funny thread! Let's see some more of your cars.
DodgeMaterial - Dave
- JS29U0B-FK5
- WS23V0A-EB5

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
  • I'm Alan G...I'm a Mopar Addict
    • Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration
« Reply #174 on: January 05, 2013 - 06:06:51 PM »
I certainly commend anyone that can repair that much rust and still win OE Gold  :worshippy
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !
www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com

Offline resq302

« Reply #175 on: January 05, 2013 - 06:26:28 PM »
I certainly commend anyone that can repair that much rust and still win OE Gold  :worshippy

Anlauto,

But they didn't have to repair ANY rust!   (or at least thats what they want us to believe with the manipulated media coverage)   :roflsmiley:

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #176 on: January 05, 2013 - 06:42:33 PM »
I'm not getting involved in the name calling or the telling of lies to the media etc....

What I'm saying is looking at the before pictures of the Daytona and knowing the car received OE Gold speaks volumns of the extreme hurdles that were conquered and the quality of work involved.

ECS may have "outed" these guys for misrepresenting the car to the media by posting these before shots, but for ME (read my opinion) it's just raised my level of "awe" towards the incredible amount of work it must have taking to get this Daytona to OE Gold.  :worshippy
As I've said before....I don't believe everything I read in the Mopar magazines, but these pictures don't lie.  :picture:

This is coming from the guy who posted every rotten picture of the Barrelcuda which was resurected from 21 different cars. I know rust.
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #177 on: January 05, 2013 - 06:55:28 PM »
Point taken....I don't know too much of the Daytona's story other then what's in this thread.

Offline resq302

« Reply #178 on: January 05, 2013 - 07:58:57 PM »
Anlauto,

I agree.  I have seen people take a scrap piece of metal hunk that was one step away from a crusher and do miracles with it.  Yes, they probably replaced more of the car than what was left.  Have they taken numerous awards with it.  Absolutely.  Do I think the guy in my club was crazy for doing so?  Absolutely!  But as they say, to each their own.  Im sure my buddy could have skimped out on some stuff but he figured, "why not? I have it all apart and might as well get as detailed as I can with it while I am (as he put) building this car again."  Now granted, he did not go as detailed as what Dave's Valiant or any of his other cars but he has a VERY nice car.  OE material, I would say so but his car is also not a Mopar, his is a 70 Chevelle SS convertible.

Someone (can't remember who) said it best with..... one persons junk is another person's insanity is another persons challenge!

Offline resq302

« Reply #179 on: January 06, 2013 - 04:52:39 PM »
Sheesh Dave, thats hard labor.  12 hrs straight standing with no breaks for food or restroom?  I know you were on a tight schedule with a deadline but sheesh!   :roflsmiley: :smilielol: