Author Topic: SURVIVOR vs. GROUND-UP RESTORATION!  (Read 188468 times)

Offline 68bee

Re: SURVIVOR vs. GROUND-UP RESTORATION!
« Reply #225 on: January 21, 2013 - 08:43:28 PM »
Dave,  Thanks for the picture of the gas pedal. How did you get that finish?

Offline 68bee

« Reply #226 on: January 21, 2013 - 09:37:59 PM »
It is called magnesium or zinc Phosphate.  You can order the solution from a chemical supplier.  You have to heat the phosphate solution to 190-200 degrees Fahrenheit and make sure you use a stainless steel vessel to hold the heated liquid.  Leave the part in the solution for 2 to 5 minuets.  Remove the part and neutralize it with hot water and then dry it IMMEDIATELY.  Some of our "sparkle" was slightly diminished when we used RPM to keep the part from rusting.  The gas pedal bracket still looks great and has not changed in appearance since the day we finished it.  Depending on the time the part is left in the solution, you can manipulate the look.  Practice with scrap metal pieces to get a feel for the process.  If you don't want to "do it yourself" there is probably a local metal finisher in your area that can help you.  :2thumbs:

Dave, Thanks for the information.  I think I'll give it a try.

Offline resq302

« Reply #227 on: January 22, 2013 - 10:41:32 PM »
Curious as to what the white inspection brush marks were on the gas tank straps?   :clueless: :dunno:

Offline ek3

« Reply #228 on: January 22, 2013 - 10:49:20 PM »
somthing i saw back in 99-2000 at charlotte nc. auto fair, they had on display a 1971 dodge challenger that was a time capsule car .it had -never- been driven. it was on display in a large tent and was in it's own temp-humidity controlled air bag . talk about having every actual marking in perfect condition.. it was a white car. i may have a pic somewhere..

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
  • I'm Alan G...I'm a Mopar Addict
    • Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration
« Reply #229 on: January 25, 2013 - 02:15:02 PM »
Wow...Did you ever mess up that rim there Dave....It's clearly not "clocked" in the right location compared to the original photo....I think I'm going to call up the judges and have them dock some more points off your car ...  :villagers:
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !
www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com

Offline 71gogreen

« Reply #230 on: January 25, 2013 - 02:33:41 PM »
Maybe the assembly person was left handed?  :smokin: :dogpile:
71challenger-millcreek park\71challenger-millcreek

Offline resq302

« Reply #231 on: January 25, 2013 - 02:45:39 PM »
shoot, it looks like he didn't even tighten up AT LEAST 2 of the lug nuts, maybe more.  Who knows if he even torqued down the rest of them?  Wish I could ride in that!  I bet it would be a fun ride! :2thumbs:

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
  • I'm Alan G...I'm a Mopar Addict
    • Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration
« Reply #232 on: January 25, 2013 - 03:23:59 PM »
I'm so disappointed  :walkaway:
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !
www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com

Offline resq302

« Reply #233 on: January 25, 2013 - 03:33:29 PM »
Me too.  How dare you, sir, get my hopes all up like that only to leave a lug nut or two loose and not indexed.  You would think you would at least torque them down so the vehicle is safe like Chrysler would have done it.  Or am I missing a recall noticed for that!   :smilielol:

Offline resq302

« Reply #234 on: January 25, 2013 - 04:24:40 PM »
No more than finger tight?  I guess the paint really bound up the threads then since I can clearly see 3 of the nuts are WAY off of the rim.  Or is it that you are just weak and need to hit the gym some more.   :stirpot: 
Dave Walden 51 YRS OLD, TRICEP PRESSES 130 LBS FOR 6 REPS
   :2thumbs:

Offline resq302

« Reply #235 on: January 28, 2013 - 03:09:04 PM »
Sheesh Dave!  I've seen better arms on a rocking chair!  You muscle bound menaces are all the same.  One kick to the jewels and you are down!   :faint:

:smilielol:

Just to be clear, I have NEVER kicked anyone down there or ever will!  I don't fight dirty like that.  (ok, maybe if my life was on the line, I would but never in a fair fight)

Ok, back on topic now.  (unless you consider yourself a survivor or a ground up resto)   :roflsmiley:  Lets see some more before and after pics of what is correct!

Offline resq302

« Reply #236 on: January 28, 2013 - 08:44:00 PM »
Brother Dave, don't take the lead from me.  I'll lead you over to the dark side with corruption and drinking!   :smilielol:  There might even be a few cow tipping involved!   :roflsmiley:

Can't remember if it has been posted or not but what about some pics of the trunk?  Still would love to see the correct fitting trunk mat unlike the mat I have in the trunk of my charger.   :-[

Offline resq302

« Reply #237 on: January 30, 2013 - 08:52:01 PM »
Sure, blame it on me that you have to go back and work on your car.  I'd love to tinker or just even work on ANY of your cars.  They are so neat and clean it would be so nice not to get all dirty and grimy working on something.

Can't wait to see what junk ya got in the trunk!   :smilielol:

Offline DodgeMaterial

• DodgeMaterial - JS29U0B & WS23V0A - St Louis, MO
« Reply #238 on: January 30, 2013 - 10:45:02 PM »
And just which gold paint did you use on those clamps?  Ha!  Seriously though Dave, speaking of colors, I'm surprised no one has asked about the red dipstick that stands out in these pictures.  I remember we were all kind of shocked that it was red anodized. Nothing like the V8s most of us are familiar with.  Dave
DodgeMaterial - Dave
- JS29U0B-FK5
- WS23V0A-EB5

Offline DodgeMaterial

• DodgeMaterial - JS29U0B & WS23V0A - St Louis, MO
« Reply #239 on: January 31, 2013 - 07:52:36 AM »
Dave, funny you mention those rocker molding plastic clips. I was very nervous removing them because I knew replacements would be nearly impossible to find. On that topic was another lesson learned...the black out treatment (on a black car no less) that covered the lower rockers and pinch weld areas...a lot of restorations miss that detail. As far as the mat goes I remember how dirty it was.  Not worn, but filthy. Like anything that old, we had to take extreme care not to damage or rip it.  I think sharing some of those behind the scene pictures and stories would be helpful to others...great idea!
DodgeMaterial - Dave
- JS29U0B-FK5
- WS23V0A-EB5