Author Topic: SURVIVOR vs. GROUND-UP RESTORATION!  (Read 188480 times)

Offline resq302

Re: SURVIVOR vs. GROUND-UP RESTORATION!
« Reply #240 on: January 31, 2013 - 08:36:32 AM »
That is weird that a black car got the black out treatment.  From what I heard, the darker colors did not receive this.  Again, never say never when it comes to Chrysler.

Offline resq302

« Reply #241 on: January 31, 2013 - 05:31:33 PM »
vinyl and rubber cleaner / conditioner?   or is it a new product that ECS has come out with that we have not heard of yet?

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
  • I'm Alan G...I'm a Mopar Addict
    • Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration
« Reply #242 on: January 31, 2013 - 05:56:53 PM »
If you replaced the fuel line clamps as part of your CIP, are you going to fix the rim screw-up in the above pictures or at this stage are you just going to leave it because it's not seen with the wheel cover in place ?  :dunno:

Trunk mat looks nice, my guess is WD40 ?

I can't get over how "clean" the car was when you started. Even as survivors go, that one would be pretty close to the top of the list for originality :2thumbs:
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013 - 04:07:59 PM by anlauto »
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !
www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com

Offline resq302

« Reply #243 on: January 31, 2013 - 06:18:35 PM »
I know...... :thinkerg:   Simple Green!   Better yet, the Magic Eraser!    :smilielol:

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #244 on: January 31, 2013 - 06:58:48 PM »
Knowing the "clocking" of bolts and other items was a personal quest of yours and knowing how anal you are, I thought by now you'd be out in the garage correcting this issues if only for the fact that it keeps you up at night... :smilielol:

Steam ?
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !

Offline DodgeMaterial

• DodgeMaterial - JS29U0B & WS23V0A - St Louis, MO
« Reply #245 on: January 31, 2013 - 07:25:24 PM »
Dave - Remember this trunk shot?  See Attachment - from my 1970 Plymouth Sales Training Film Strip set. 
DodgeMaterial - Dave
- JS29U0B-FK5
- WS23V0A-EB5

Offline DodgeMaterial

« Reply #246 on: January 31, 2013 - 08:15:53 PM »
Knowing the "clocking" of bolts and other items was a personal quest of yours and knowing how anal you are, I thought by now you'd be out in the garage correcting this issues if only for the fact that it keeps you up at night... :smilielol:

Steam ?

Alan,  Steve and I fixed that wheel while Dave was sleeping...please don't tell him though - we thought it would be funny to let him worry about this! 
DodgeMaterial - Dave
- JS29U0B-FK5
- WS23V0A-EB5

Offline DodgeMaterial

« Reply #247 on: January 31, 2013 - 10:25:11 PM »
Dave, don't forget that Richard stored the car with the wheels removed, and the only wheel we could confirm original location was the one with the yellow mark...
DodgeMaterial - Dave
- JS29U0B-FK5
- WS23V0A-EB5

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #248 on: February 01, 2013 - 06:56:40 AM »
Now I'm confused ( I know...that was easy)... :smilielol:

Your "before" picture shows a rear wheel with a yellow inspection mark lined up with the mark on the rear axle.

If you had this picture as a reference, then why when you duplicated the yellow inspection mark did you get it in the totally wrong location, when every other inspection mark is painstakingly perfect ?

Of course this is all just "tongue in cheek", but it seems odd that this tiny misfortune is so obvious now.

I do applaud you for posting pictures of the only mistake made on this project. :worshippy

Offline spamtank

« Reply #249 on: February 01, 2013 - 07:07:59 AM »
Now I'm confused ( I know...that was easy)... :smilielol:

Your "before" picture shows a rear wheel with a yellow inspection mark lined up with the mark on the rear axle.

If you had this picture as a reference, then why when you duplicated the yellow inspection mark did you get it in the totally wrong location, when every other inspection mark is painstakingly perfect ?

I do applaud you for posting pictures of the only mistake made on this project. :worshippy

He not only rotates the tires in the crisscross manner, he systematically rotates them on the hub for proper wear.....   :smilielol:

Rick, Manchester, NH
1970 SE 383 2V AT Challenger
1977 M882/W200 Power Wagon
2013 RT Plus 6M

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #250 on: February 01, 2013 - 01:45:28 PM »
I fully understand the magnitude of this project after reading your explanations over the last couple of years...
I only think that lends to the fact of why I'm totally surprised at this oversight...

So much time and effort was put into the most minuscule of details throughout that this one seems to be un-thinkable.  :clueless:

Regardless of which rim was mounted on which corner of the car, I would have to assume that the "before" photo was used when placing the yellow inspection mark, and the location of the stampings on the rim with regards to the characteristics of the axle hub would be a definite reference point for the correct "clocking of the rim on the axle.

I hope that if I'm the first person to point out this inconsistency to you, that I at least get a free copy of the "coffee table" book yet to be published :woohoo:

Trunk mat - You had your dog lick it clean ?

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #251 on: February 01, 2013 - 04:00:20 PM »
The answer is simple Dave. You are the only one that has proven your point over and over again with clear documented proof using clean non obstructed "before" and "after" pictures. The others have not.
I can't say their work is incorrect, because I have no knowledge of their components in their "before" condition. A solid yellow strip is not commonly found on a rear pumpkin, I agree, but I can't say with absolute certainty that it' wasn't found on their car. :dunno:

You're stating time and time again how accurate the restoration of the Valiant is, and have backed up your statements 110% with photos. :worshippy

All I was stating is my own surprise when I spotted what I thought was a clear inconsistency with the level of accuracy regarding the inspection marks on the car. That's all.

You've also made reference to "my buddies" ...I'm not sure the direction of that reference, but just as I've never met you, I've never met any of the other parties refered to in this thread either.

Trunk mat = Low pressure soda blasting ?

Offline resq302

« Reply #252 on: February 01, 2013 - 04:27:38 PM »
I guess you should sue me for the grief caused by this stupendous, unforgivable and horrific oversight!    :thumbsup:

Dave, can I sue you because of the stress of knowing my car will never meet up to the standards of your car(s)?   :roflsmiley:  Just thinking about what is incorrect on my cars compared to yours I can feel my hair turning gray!  (wait, maybe thats my two young kids doing that)   :smilielol:

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #253 on: February 01, 2013 - 06:17:55 PM »
The simple answer would have been:

" Hey Alan, never noticed that before, thanks for pointing it out"

But we all know there is nothing simple in life..... :faint:

Offline GranCuda1970

• Sr. Resident
  • Rev 20:4. Mat 6:33 John 1:3 Mat 26:41
« Reply #254 on: February 05, 2013 - 02:47:16 AM »
Never noticed how the green bug white firebird kept getting recycled into the chase scene in the down hill cuts wait how did you get in front of me again?..  :roflsmiley: