Author Topic: SURVIVOR vs. GROUND-UP RESTORATION!  (Read 188500 times)

Offline resq302

Re: SURVIVOR vs. GROUND-UP RESTORATION!
« Reply #255 on: February 05, 2013 - 06:51:55 PM »
Dave,

Seeing as how there was a spare tire recessed into the trunk, was there a fiber board that went over the top of it?  If so, how did you restore that?

Brian

Offline DodgeMaterial

• DodgeMaterial - JS29U0B & WS23V0A - St Louis, MO
« Reply #256 on: February 05, 2013 - 11:24:55 PM »
Dave, speaking of hubcaps, the "find" of 4 NOS wheel covers right in our back yard reminds me of some of the fun we had tracking down NOS parts for this project!
DodgeMaterial - Dave
- JS29U0B-FK5
- WS23V0A-EB5

Offline resq302

« Reply #257 on: February 06, 2013 - 04:36:19 PM »
Wow.  Thats amazing Dave.  Lucky the humidity and moisture in the air after all these years didnt deteriorate the fiber board.   :2thumbs:   Trunk mat turned out awesome also!

Offline resq302

« Reply #258 on: February 07, 2013 - 01:09:45 PM »
Looking back at the pic of the spare tire, I noticed that there is no wheel weight on the inside of it.  Did you balance the spare?  If so, how many times did it take you to get it so it was zero balance with no weights? :dunno: :dunno: :clueless:  If you did have to put a weight on the front side, what kind of weight did you use?  Did Chrysler have a special marking on their weights?

Offline moparman82

• MOPAR or No car
  • Resident
  • Livin' the dream
« Reply #259 on: February 07, 2013 - 01:21:26 PM »
this is a really intense thread lol    :clapping:
Scott in Omaha
Searching for the right 70 Cuda driver
1973 challenger in go-mango, on it's way to a 70 T/A clone SOLD
2015 crew cab Hemi ram SOLD
2019 Ram Laramie
2016 Tahoe LTZ SOLD
1976 Ramcharger 383 4spd SOLD
2016 Audi

24 mopars past and 2 present

Offline HP_Cuda

• Hit the skinny little pedal on the right!
  • Sr. Resident
  • Mopar or No Car!
« Reply #260 on: February 07, 2013 - 03:04:23 PM »
Feel the love  :crazy:
1970 Cuda Clone 440 4 speed - sublime green
1970 Cuda 383 4 speed - yellow - SOLD

Offline resq302

« Reply #261 on: February 08, 2013 - 08:31:49 AM »
 :wow:  Only one weight?  I guess that explains why the new vehicles I have had (Dodge Ram and Ford F150) had those ink dots on the side wall of the tires.   Come to think about it and now that you mention it, I have only seen one wheel weight on the new vehicles.  I wonder why the standard is so much stricter at the factory than what it is at the aftermarket service places like the tire center I used to work at part time?  The rule we had was that it could not be over either 3 or 4 grams of weight if I remember correctly.  If it was, we had to let the air out, break the bead and spin the tire around a little, then repeat the process of filling the tire and re-balancing it.

Wonder what the factory did with all the "rejects"?

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
  • I'm Alan G...I'm a Mopar Addict
    • Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration
« Reply #262 on: February 08, 2013 - 05:11:49 PM »
Would the "double weight" receive a point deduction if judged at the Mopar Nationals ?
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !
www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com

Offline spamtank

« Reply #263 on: February 08, 2013 - 07:03:11 PM »
Would the "double weight" receive a point deduction if judged at the Mopar Nationals ?

Probably depends on who you are...   :dunno:   :bigsmile:
Rick, Manchester, NH
1970 SE 383 2V AT Challenger
1977 M882/W200 Power Wagon
2013 RT Plus 6M

Offline resq302

« Reply #264 on: February 08, 2013 - 07:23:10 PM »
Probably depends on who you are...   :dunno:   :bigsmile:

Anlauto- I guess it all depends on who is judging and if they know what is correct or not.  I never knew this info until Dave mentioned it but I would also imagine OE judges know A LOT more than what info is inside my head!

Spantank- Its sad to say but some juding venues are just like that!  Its not about what you know, its who you know!

Offline resq302

« Reply #265 on: February 08, 2013 - 08:53:17 PM »
Shoulda, coulda, woulda!   Again, it comes down to who knows who a lot of the time which is why lately, I get disgusted with certain judging areas.  Particularly small venue judging.  Granted, there are judges out there who know what they are doing and if you have something wrong, you get deducted points!  Period!  I know one judge who was chatting with me after the fact that if I had driven my charger to the show with the radial tires instead of the bias ply's, I would have lost points.  Now I don't know if it is one lump sum or if it would have been a specific number of points per tire.

Being an AACA judge, I can say that judging is FAR from easy.  But the biggest thing for a judge to be is honest, fair, and consistent! If you screw up on one car, you best be sure to screw up on the rest of them also, other wise, people are going to start having words.  Even with that, you can't make everyone happy and everyone thinks their car is better than everyone elses and they deserve the first place.  You can't please everyone but you can do the best possible job you can with the training and knowledge you have!

Offline Steve Been

« Reply #266 on: February 09, 2013 - 10:15:51 AM »
you over look a lot of mistakes when they start to pile up on you.Judges do not give a perfect score so once there satisfide they give up the search.No need to look for or make up any deductions they have found all they wanted to hence no perfect score.

Offline Steve Been

« Reply #267 on: February 09, 2013 - 06:12:05 PM »
Don,t forget the challenger getting dinged for not having a certi card and there was no certi cards in 1970. :eek2: :pullinghair:
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013 - 06:15:31 PM by Steve Been »

Offline resq302

« Reply #268 on: February 12, 2013 - 07:51:42 AM »
Thinking back to the various "patterns" this car has had, I know that the front wheel wells had a cardboard template that Chrysler used to keep a particular area clean when they sprayed in the undercoating (such as the shock tower area, upper control arm area, etc.)  Was there any kind of template you have noticed for the rear wheel area so undercoating would not get onto such areas as the exhaust?  Im sure they wouldn't have wanted the customers complaining from the smell of burning undercoating when the exhaust heated up.

Offline resq302

« Reply #269 on: February 13, 2013 - 03:07:45 PM »
Dave,

would they have used any kind of special template for preventing over spray from going under the car or other various places?  I would imagine that they wouldn't but I am learning new things every day the more I read this thread!