Author Topic: SURVIVOR vs. GROUND-UP RESTORATION!  (Read 188505 times)

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
Re: SURVIVOR vs. GROUND-UP RESTORATION!
« Reply #285 on: March 08, 2013 - 08:26:50 PM »
Dave, I love looking at your photos.  You have the knowledge, care and ability to do some incredible work.   :worshippy
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

Offline resq302

« Reply #286 on: March 12, 2013 - 07:40:15 AM »
Nice article.  I know I have had excellent results with RPM!

Offline hemi68charger

• Charger Power!!
    • Houston Mopar Club Connection
« Reply #287 on: March 14, 2013 - 10:10:29 AM »
Wow Dave,,,
Just got to this thread ( maybe for the 1st time )........ Good stuff there.............

Troy
'69 Daytona 426 HEMI-727
'70 Superbird 440 - 4speed

Offline resq302

« Reply #288 on: March 14, 2013 - 11:10:17 AM »
Wow Dave,,,
Just got to this thread ( maybe for the 1st time )........ Good stuff there.............

Troy

Late to the party again, huh Troy?   :cheers:

Offline resq302

« Reply #289 on: April 01, 2013 - 04:31:36 PM »
Dave,

I can't remember the specifics of your alternator, but I seem to recall it being different than the standard resto or the standad alternator.  Something about the inspection mark being painted on vs. brushed on.  There was recent post on Moparts.com about a "PERFECT" restoration.  What were the differences between this perfect restoration and the alt. on the Valiant?

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
  • I'm Alan G...I'm a Mopar Addict
    • Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration
« Reply #290 on: April 01, 2013 - 05:55:44 PM »
The Valiant had yellow inspection paint sprayed on while the other one had orange paint brushed on. Both are proven to be correct.  :woo:
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !
www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com

Offline resq302

« Reply #291 on: April 01, 2013 - 07:53:00 PM »
Ok, thanks Anlauto.  I remembered it had yellow but that there was something special about it since it was not the norm.  Now that you mention it, the spray would have been different from what the norm was.

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #292 on: April 01, 2013 - 08:15:43 PM »
Yes it's not the norm, but ECS was able to present excellent "before" photos :)
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !

Offline resq302

« Reply #293 on: April 01, 2013 - 09:13:15 PM »
Thanks Dave.  I remembered that they were out there somewhere but I couldn't find the thread where the pics were.

Offline resq302

« Reply #294 on: April 02, 2013 - 04:09:20 PM »
 :wow:  never realized that there was a difference between the casting and the insert finish.  To think how many of the original finishes have been ruined due to lightly sand blasting or media tumbling the housings.    Like you said though, it all comes down to time vs. money option and the majority of the people would probably opt for the rougher finish vs. the extra cost and time it would take to restore it to factory new with the smooth finish.

Thanks for sharing and letting me learn something new.

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #295 on: April 02, 2013 - 04:37:56 PM »
Unfortunately a lot of cores don't start out as nice and clean as the Valiant's did, at least not in my neck of the woods... :pullinghair:

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #296 on: April 03, 2013 - 07:48:24 AM »
I agree that starting with a good core is important. This is a picture of typically what I start with....Little too corroded for a polish job.....
Thankfully I never restore a car to OE level so most times a trip to NAPA gets me what I need. :grinyes:

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #297 on: April 03, 2013 - 10:41:33 AM »
Honestly I can't say what happened to that actual alternator. I did get a date coded "172" alternator for the car at some point.
I can say that Jerry Luck did a fantastic job bringing those carbs back to life.
That was long before SSH started restoring carburators. :clapping:

In your travels since, have you ever found or documented other alternators with a similar spray painted inspection mark ?

Offline resq302

« Reply #298 on: April 03, 2013 - 01:16:17 PM »
The methods used to restore the aluminum finish is what makes the difference in obtaining a correct appearing Alternator.  Some think that a clean, bright surface constitutes a Factory-Assembly Line finish.  Not true!  Alternators incorporated two types of aluminum castings.  The front & back halves were Green Sand cast and the positive diode insert had a rough cast finish.  When you bead blast the surface of the alternator housing, it ruins the smooth original finish.  It takes many hours to preserve the original patina.  To the defense of the restoration shops, it would be extremely cost prohibitive for them to provide this type of service and most Customers are not willing to spend what it takes to achieve true OE "perfection".  Here are a few Before & After Alternator photos from the Valiant.

Before - Alternator installed on Valiant

Before - Alternator

Before - Alternator Half

Yellow over-spray INSIDE housing from blowing through aluminum openings

After - Assembled - Back Side

After - Assembled - Front Side

After - Notice different Aluminum casting texture between the the Housing Body and the Positive Diode Insert

After - Installed

After - Installed

Dave,

Would you be able to explain the differences between the inspection marks?  like the orange that is commonly seen and the yellow on yours. (personally that was the first one I have ever seen yellow)  Was there a reason for that such as different inspector having a different color?   Is that what the OE judges look for?  Again, I have never entered OE judging as my car needs way too much to make it back to standards like that but I would imagine that they critique every little thing since it takes them HOURS to judge the cars?

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #299 on: April 03, 2013 - 01:22:53 PM »
I had similar thoughts...Do inspection marks even come under the judging critria ?
How can a judge know what is correct or in-correct when it comes to inspection marks ?
I'm sure your photo proof was great for your car, but a lot of other cars didn't start out as clean.

How about if I restore a 1970 Dodge Dart and copy every inspection mark from your Valiant, would that make my car correct too ?