Author Topic: SURVIVOR vs. GROUND-UP RESTORATION!  (Read 188486 times)

Offline resq302

Re: SURVIVOR vs. GROUND-UP RESTORATION!
« Reply #300 on: April 29, 2013 - 12:29:17 PM »
Hi Dave,

Just happened to see the reply now.  Sheesh, I really gotta get back on here more often.  Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't you use a lot of NOS parts on your Valiant or was that all original equipment stuff that you rebuilt / restored?  I was just reading a magazine article over the weekend where the editor said that its all about the parts which makes a correct OE restoration.   I have to disagree as anyone can find the parts if they have the time or the money.  I would have to say it would be the application of how the stuff is restored, not the parts which is the key factor in the resto!

Offline resq302

« Reply #301 on: April 29, 2013 - 07:28:00 PM »
If memory serves me right, it was Mopar Action.

Offline resq302

« Reply #302 on: April 29, 2013 - 08:34:20 PM »
I have to agree with you Dave.  I would say that finding a part is about 25% of the total job and having a CORRECT restoration the other 75%.  As you said, finding a part takes just either time or money but finding a person to restore it with the proper technique is not as easily done.

Offline resq302

« Reply #303 on: April 29, 2013 - 10:11:31 PM »
Oh good grief!  There is "cliques" or "gangs" on the internet too?  What is this world coming to!   :smilielol:

Offline resq302

« Reply #304 on: April 29, 2013 - 11:31:14 PM »
The "click" is the sound of the hammer heard from the editor shooting his subject in the foot.  I read the article.  He wrote how Steve had to tell the truth twice (to find the car) before having to lie in order to go see it!   :lol:

I guess honesty is a virtue, used as a punch line to get what you want.  :smilielol:

But Dave!  It MUST be true.  After all, haven't you seen that commercial on TV about the stuff that is on the internet is absolutely true?  Otherwise it wouldn't be up there, right?   :smilielol: 

by the way..... pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.    :smilielol:

Offline resq302

« Reply #305 on: May 22, 2013 - 06:56:01 AM »
Figured I would post up some pics of our newly acquired 69 GTX convert.  Upon the start of cleaning up the car, I am very surprised that this car has 109,000 miles on it and would suspect that it has the actual 9,000 miles that the odometer shows.  The car sports all of its original bushings, ball joints, tie rods, front exhaust pipe, 100% original sheet metal, and a lot of other stuff that I am certain would have disappear or have been repaired if it had over 100,000 miles.

Offline resq302

« Reply #306 on: May 22, 2013 - 07:09:06 AM »
Granted, we have an excellent platform to begin with and here is how the undercarriage started looking once we started cleaning it up.  We found some original inspection marks and paint daubs.

Can anyone explain what these different colors mean?  I know the dark brown color on the torsion bars designate what the diameter was for quick assembly.

And for those wondering, as much as I would love to go the route that Dave did with indexing all of the nuts and bolts, I think I would lose my last ounce of sanity if I did that with dads car. :smilielol:  After all, I don't have that much sanity left to spare.   :roflsmiley:

Offline resq302

« Reply #307 on: May 22, 2013 - 07:19:04 AM »
we found a dark green horizontal inspection mark on the tie rod adjuster sleeve on the pass side.  I have never seen a dark green one in this area before.  The pic is really hard to see it as a lot of it seemed to come off when we were cleaning the parts off on the car with brake cleaner.

The rear axle was repainted however, the previous person decided to not paint the center banjo area where this marking was.

Offline resq302

« Reply #308 on: May 22, 2013 - 07:32:00 AM »
The torsion bars BOTH exhibited drips as the bars appear to have been dipped horizontally when it was painted.  Both sides have a long row of drips on the bars and then appear to have been coded with the dark brown paint for the diameter size.  Two stripes on the driver side, one on the pass. side.

Offline resq302

« Reply #309 on: May 22, 2013 - 04:04:01 PM »
Very impressive Dave.  You need to start making the dry transfers for the earlier voltage regulators.  We all don't have a 70s and up.    Some of us like the older 1969 toys.  :lol:

Offline resq302

« Reply #310 on: May 22, 2013 - 04:22:25 PM »
heres some more pics I took while under the car.

Offline resq302

« Reply #311 on: May 22, 2013 - 06:41:57 PM »
Yeh, there is unfortunately a typical debate over on that forum with a thread I started due to someone saying that the area on the front rails were never like that. :bricks1:

Offline resq302

« Reply #312 on: May 22, 2013 - 09:24:59 PM »
I have plenty of pics of the undercoating details on my lap top computer.  I will try to post pics tomorrow.   :2thumbs:

Offline resq302

« Reply #313 on: May 23, 2013 - 07:13:36 AM »
Dave,

You mean that glob of stuff under that inspection tag wasn't a special "internal code" secret handshake to give that car special undercoating treatment?   :smilielol: :roflsmiley:

Offline resq302

« Reply #314 on: May 23, 2013 - 07:20:53 AM »
Here are more pics of the "so called non factory applied" undercoating.