Author Topic: SURVIVOR vs. GROUND-UP RESTORATION!  (Read 188434 times)

Offline resq302

Re: SURVIVOR vs. GROUND-UP RESTORATION!
« Reply #390 on: July 02, 2013 - 10:23:40 PM »
 :picture:

Offline resq302

« Reply #391 on: July 02, 2013 - 10:24:33 PM »

Offline resq302

« Reply #392 on: July 02, 2013 - 10:25:35 PM »

Offline resq302

« Reply #393 on: July 02, 2013 - 10:26:36 PM »
last set  :picture:

Offline resq302

« Reply #394 on: July 09, 2013 - 12:22:42 PM »
Seeing that undercoating on the underside of the rocker panel made me laugh.  Our GTX vert has globs of that stuff also on the under side of the rocker panel on both the driver and pass sides in areas.

Also going by the picture, it seems that the leaf spring shackle hanger was installed after the undercoating?

Offline resq302

« Reply #395 on: July 10, 2013 - 06:24:09 AM »
deductive reasoning 101.   :smilielol:  But then again some people do not apply common sense and laws of physics when it comes to restorations.   :roflsmiley:

Offline resq302

« Reply #396 on: July 17, 2013 - 09:06:28 AM »
Ran into a really weird thing when working on our 69 GTX vert (spo of 10/3/68).  I removed the original rubber lines and noticed that the rear rubber line that went from the steel line to the sending unit was stamped KV and used the keystone clamps.  What is even stranger yet is that the line is a 5/16 rubber line but has a return / vapor line that is 1/4".  I was always under the impression that the set up was 3/8 w/ 1/4 return line.  This is the original steel line as there is still factory undercoating on it so I know it was not replaced.  One other thing I noticed was that the keystone clamps seemed to be color coded for size.  The 5/16 clamp was silver and the 1/4 clamp was a gold color.  The 1/4 rubber line from the sending unit to the steel line had no markings on the line at all.

Now here comes the really weird part.... The rubber line that goes from the steel line to the fuel pump (after we cleaned it up) was stamped with EB and had spring clamps on it going to the fuel pump.  Normally I have seen KV only on fuel lines.  Has anyone else ever seen a EB marking on a fuel line or know of where I can get fuel line with EB?

Offline resq302

« Reply #397 on: July 24, 2013 - 08:04:27 PM »
Great pictures Dave!  Dad just told me he found a bunch more inspection marks when he pullled the wheels for the GTX and put my rims and radial tires on for our recent show we were at.  He found the brick red paint still on the drums as well as some different colors near the hubs and a purple inspection mark on the backside of the front bumper when he just removed it.  Hopefully I will get there tomorrow to download the pics off his camera since he is not that computer savy to post them.

Offline resq302

« Reply #398 on: July 26, 2013 - 09:44:33 PM »
Well, I didn't remember to download the pics from his camera but I was able to get some other stuff done today.  I was able to score another spare Saginaw power steering pump with pressure and return line out at Carlisle for $15 and got it rebuilt for the GTX.  While cleaning up the pressure line, I found out that it is an original Chrysler pressure line and the date code is the exact same time line the GTX was built.  Not knowing of any place that could re-gold cad the metal parts of the pressure line, I attempted my own concoction with spray paint to try and replicate the look.  There still is some faint yellow markings on the rubber part of the line that look like a straight line with some numbers in between.  Wish I could redo them as the rubber part of the line is still in great shape with no dry rotting.

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
  • I'm Alan G...I'm a Mopar Addict
    • Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration
« Reply #399 on: July 26, 2013 - 09:55:03 PM »
Just buy the stencils and re-stencel the hose  :dunno: http://www.71sg.com/stencils.html
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !
www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com

Offline resq302

« Reply #400 on: July 26, 2013 - 09:59:49 PM »
Thanks.  Wasn't aware that Sylvain had made the stencils for it. 

Offline resq302

« Reply #401 on: July 27, 2013 - 01:39:08 PM »
Dave,

Saw another thread on another forum regarding correct radiators and shrouds.  I can't remember what the size was in your chally.  Was that a 22" or a 26" rad?  I know ours is a 19" in our car.

Offline resq302

« Reply #402 on: July 27, 2013 - 08:55:54 PM »
;)   :lol:   :dupe:

You mean the thread where the "tag team" has a front man and the other one hides in the shadows waiting for the answers?  I guess when you obtain a vehicle under suspicious pretenses it is better to let someone else divert the attention.  Maybe Mr. Shackleford should comment on the radiator sizes for that particular vehicle.  Better yet, the person who wants the answer to that question should "toughen up a bit" and ask it for themselves! :lol:

You need to toughen up a bit

Yes, I believe that is the same one I am thinking of.  One thing I have learned over the years, ESPECIALLY with Mopars, is that you never say never.  I have seen some really weird stuff happen during my time in this hobby which can not be explained.  Maybe due to a lack of parts, vendor issues, strikes, etc.  I don't know.  I wasn't on the assembly line (really wish I was though!)  However, here are some things that I have come across:

I came across an early hemi charger that was the press release car and that had a lot of 68 parts on it and stuff that it should not have had.
As with this charger, I am sure that there are other cars out there that were supposed to get one thing that it didn't for certain reasons. I know our 69 GTX vert is supposed to have a white stripe on it as per the fender tag. Talking to the third owner who had the car in all original state, it came from the factory with a red stripe. My charger was supposed to have the metal tabs that hold the engine harness onto the fire wall. The indicator is there and the nub where the tack weld should have been but no evidence of it ever having them installed. This is even evident up to my grandmothers old Dodge Aries sedan which had a Reliant emblem inside the car and was a Dodge Aries.  She bought this vehicle new so I know it was something that was never replaced.  Again, hard to say why stuff like that happened since we were not there on the assembly line but as others have come to learn, never say never when it comes to mopars!

Offline resq302

« Reply #403 on: July 27, 2013 - 09:55:40 PM »
speaking of made, check out this thing I made up for our GTX. :2thumbs:

-an ordinary Mopar battery.....

Offline resq302

« Reply #404 on: July 27, 2013 - 09:58:04 PM »
but things are not what they seem!  A new, dry cell battery that can be mounted any position and has 925 cranking amps.  Way more than what the factory one could have offered.  Granted, the cold cranking amps are lower than what the factory battery was but how often will we be starting and taking our cars out in the cold weather?  Also, life expectancy of around 8-10 years!  No worries of any acid leaking either!