Author Topic: SURVIVOR vs. GROUND-UP RESTORATION!  (Read 188465 times)

Offline mrbill426

• All Around Mopars
Re: SURVIVOR vs. GROUND-UP RESTORATION!
« Reply #510 on: December 24, 2013 - 05:46:16 PM »
I took lots of pictures but lost a bunch when my HD crashed, so I am scrambling to find out what I can about things and I appreciate all pics and information I find at this site.  The car has been through at least two collision repair/paint jobs that I know of before we got it, so things have been "altered" along the way.  It is not in our budget to do a 100 percent perfect restoration but the things I am able to do I want to get as accurate as possible.  This car WILL be driven and it WILL get dirty.

:working:

Mrbill,

I applaud you for taking the time to research something and do it correctly.  There are way too many people out there who try to make up their own version of how the factory did it, from globbing paint dabs all over areas where they never were to having incorrect paint patterns done.  I've seen way too many cars claim to be OE style paint jobs where it had paint behind areas which it could never possibly have gone unless it defied the laws of physics.  I have also seen the same for where undercoating has been applied behind where it should have never been able to reach if sprayed the same way as the factory would have.

This is why it is so important to be taking as many pictures as one can of an original / unmolested / unrestored car as once they are repaired or restored, there is a good chance that whoever is doing the restoration will not apply stuff in the original manner it was done at the factory.  Prime example would have been if I had painted the body color first and then went to paint the door frame color.  That would have been wrong but fortunately, I noticed the interior color under the body color in the door jam when I was sanding out a chip.
MOPAR or NO car!

'72 'Cuda 340, white on white
'72 Sebring; bracket project
'64 Imperial Crown black on black
'66 Imperial Crown; parts car

Offline sadil340

« Reply #511 on: December 25, 2013 - 08:39:51 AM »
I took lots of pictures but lost a bunch when my HD crashed, so I am scrambling to find out what I can about things and I appreciate all pics and information I find at this site. 
I took a couple hundred pics of every square inch of my '70 Cuda 340 before it was restored - I had been driving it since 1974 and it had not seen winters in CT after 1975 - I would be happy to forward you some area of interest pics - just PM me.
1970 Cuda 340 4-speed
3:55 SureGrip
Owned since 1974
Bought from original owner

Offline resq302

« Reply #512 on: December 25, 2013 - 09:43:21 AM »
I took lots of pictures but lost a bunch when my HD crashed, so I am scrambling to find out what I can about things and I appreciate all pics and information I find at this site.  The car has been through at least two collision repair/paint jobs that I know of before we got it, so things have been "altered" along the way.  It is not in our budget to do a 100 percent perfect restoration but the things I am able to do I want to get as accurate as possible.  This car WILL be driven and it WILL get dirty.

Same as our cars.  We drive the snot out of them and only trail them if it is a long distance show in which we have the bias ply tires on for a strict point judged show.  The best part of owning them is driving them and tinkering with them.  Not to mention the smiles and thumbs up you get when you are driving them!

Offline mrbill426

• All Around Mopars
« Reply #513 on: December 25, 2013 - 05:09:07 PM »
On that subject, the rear of my axle housing was marked with three (black) rather wide and vertical paint stripes that resembled a three-clawed bear swipe, which I know indicates a 3.23 gear set.  What I don't know is what type paint was used for the marks; the housing I have repainted a semi-gloss (POR-15) chassis black, so now do I use a "flat" paint or a gloss for the markings?  Or have I totally screwed it up??  :clueless:  When I cleaned up the (rusty) housing all that remained was those black markings, and the yellow codes.

I have located a font that is almost identical to the one I made up for my numbers.  I will use it to install the numbers you provided and forward the artwork to you on Thursday.  I hope this will help!
MOPAR or NO car!

Offline mrbill426

• All Around Mopars
« Reply #514 on: December 25, 2013 - 11:08:11 PM »
Sounds like a plan, but should I go for a glossier or flatter look for the black markings?  Here is a shot of how it looked before I striped and repainted it.

The paint used for doing Assembly Line Inspections marks was actually left over material from the Paint Department in the Factory.  To keep from having to mix up automotive paint for just a few small markings, you might consider using the TESTORS Line of paint products.  They come in a large assortment of enamel colors, will provide a proper sheen/finish and are available in small (reusable) glass containers.
MOPAR or NO car!

Offline mrbill426

• All Around Mopars
« Reply #515 on: December 26, 2013 - 12:06:55 AM »
Whoa, whole new ballgame then!  I guess the ratio marks are long gone from my carrier then.  I had a link to a page that indicated what color combinations indicated what ratios, and whether or not the rear end was a sure grip, but I lost it  :eek4:  .  What it with the Crisscross, the "A", and the "R"?

Hi Bill!  I thought you were referring to your 3rd member having the inspection markings.  I have never seen a housing pumpkin with inspection marks that were used to designate the gear ratio.  Most 8 3/4 rear end housings were painted black.  I can't give a definitive answer to what those stripes represent or how they actually got there. 

Below is a picture of the underside of my Challenger and a few of the Valiant rear end details.  Notice the Challenger inspection marks on the 3rd member.  They reference the axle ratio for that gear set up. (3 white & 1 orange) 

MOPAR or NO car!

Offline mrbill426

• All Around Mopars
« Reply #516 on: December 26, 2013 - 12:43:28 AM »
Ahhh, found it!

This is from an August 1998 issue of Mopar Muscle outlining some inspection/identification daubs for 8 3/4 differentials.
MOPAR or NO car!

Offline resq302

« Reply #517 on: December 26, 2013 - 09:32:04 AM »
I thought the 0 and the X through the 0 meant that the carrier was either a (X) for sure grip  or 0 for open rear.

Offline mrbill426

• All Around Mopars
« Reply #518 on: December 27, 2013 - 12:04:04 PM »
That does look like what I remember it to be before I lost the pics I took of the housing, thanks!  :2thumbs:  Now if I can just remember the alpha/number code that was on it   :clueless:

Here is the lettering that should be a very close match to what you are looking for.  It is a Bookman - Demi style font.

MOPAR or NO car!

Offline resq302

« Reply #519 on: December 27, 2013 - 05:09:00 PM »
Can't remember if you have the build sheet or not. If so, I'm pretty sure the numbers are there.

Offline mrbill426

• All Around Mopars
« Reply #520 on: December 31, 2013 - 12:44:16 AM »
Yes there is a build sheet. On line #2, block D (Axle) is "53", D8 (Size) "3", and on line #4, in the "Axle" block is "014".  I swear it had a alpha/numerical code though and another set of numbers.  Still hoping to find those darn pics :eek4:

Thanks!

Can't remember if you have the build sheet or not. If so, I'm pretty sure the numbers are there.
MOPAR or NO car!

Offline resq302

« Reply #521 on: December 31, 2013 - 11:56:21 AM »
There ya go!  Looks like Dave had the right set up and even numbers for ya!

Offline mrbill426

• All Around Mopars
« Reply #522 on: December 31, 2013 - 12:42:16 PM »
Yes it looks like he did!   Now just to figure the placement, although that probably varied from car to car?

There ya go!  Looks like Dave had the right set up and even numbers for ya!
MOPAR or NO car!

Offline resq302

« Reply #523 on: December 31, 2013 - 01:05:43 PM »
I would imagine that they were all in the same "general" area.  Most likely an inch to two off from where it should be I would imagine would be acceptable.

Offline mrbill426

• All Around Mopars
« Reply #524 on: January 01, 2014 - 01:04:56 AM »
What kind of undercoating is that, and how applied?

The undercoat was then "restored" to look just like it did prior to the 40 years of environmental abuse that it was subjected to. 

Before

After
MOPAR or NO car!