Author Topic: SURVIVOR vs. GROUND-UP RESTORATION!  (Read 188384 times)

Offline resq302

Re: SURVIVOR vs. GROUND-UP RESTORATION!
« Reply #555 on: March 23, 2014 - 10:48:28 AM »
I do not know the exact process.  For all I know they could have masked it off or sealed it up with something.  Prior to me sending him the parts, I had inquired about the power steering hose due to my concern about the rubber.  He said it wasn't a problem.  The rubber is still pliable and there is no dry rot cracks in it.  The company who did it was Old School Plating in DE.  http://oldschoolplating.com/   Ask for Steve Orr who is the guy I was in contact with.  Steve is also into the antique car hobby so he takes great pride in this as you can see.  Whats nice is they not only do Mopar stuff but also GM and Ford things. 

Offline JS27N0B

• Resident
  • Member since Jan 28th 2003.
« Reply #556 on: March 23, 2014 - 02:59:19 PM »

I am also hoping to pull the front wheels on the car tomorrow as I found that the front brake drums are possibly the original ones to the car.  Date coding of H 16 8 which turns out to be Aug. 16, 1968 right in line with the rest of the stuff on the car date wise.  Now, with everything else that was original and on the car, I am really wondering if that 110,000 miles isn't only 10,000 miles as the car only has enough numbers for xx,xxx and people assumed it had rolled over 100,000 miles due to the age of the car.  My personal feeling would be that these drums would have been worn way past their min. thickness sometime during the mileage if the car indeed does have 110,000 miles.  Now it would be more likely to have 10,000 miles since they are still on there.  I guess I will know more tomorrow when I get to pull the wheels off the car and hopefully pull the brake drums off.  Really, really hoping that there are penta stars on the brake shoes!

Don't know if I would get my hopes up too high. Drums and rotors lasted a lot longer back then as the friction material used  did not have the metallic content that todays brake linings do. Newer cars rotors and drums are almost replaced as often as the linings due to the metal loss due to similar compositions.
1970 Challenger R/T Convertible 383/auto 1 of 516 *now sold after owning for 18yrs
2007 Chrysler Aspen Limited AWD
2013 Tige' RZR 343hp
2016 PCP Challenger SRT Hellcat

Offline resq302

« Reply #557 on: March 23, 2014 - 03:04:20 PM »
I agree.  Even if the drums are the original ones, the shoes would have had to been replaced with that many miles.  This is why I am hoping that I find the penta star on the shoes which would also be another indication that the shoes are original.   Silly question but where would I find a date code on the cores of the shoes?

Offline JS27N0B

• Resident
  • Member since Jan 28th 2003.
« Reply #558 on: March 23, 2014 - 03:08:44 PM »
I would not say that was a good indication either as back in the day we used to send the shoes back as a core and all the replacements were original cores so the pentastar was always there.   Never thought I'd ever say back in the day, yikes.
1970 Challenger R/T Convertible 383/auto 1 of 516 *now sold after owning for 18yrs
2007 Chrysler Aspen Limited AWD
2013 Tige' RZR 343hp
2016 PCP Challenger SRT Hellcat

Offline resq302

« Reply #559 on: March 23, 2014 - 03:13:03 PM »
 :smilielol:  Makes you feel old doesn't it?  I still do a double take ever time I say that my oldest daughter is 7 already.   :eek2:  However, if the car does have only 10,000 miles, chances are the date coding on the shoes would coincide with around when the drums were made.  Again, this is all hypothetical but there is a lot of strong evidence which has me leaning in that direction.  Just way too many original parts that more than likely would have been replaced at 100,000 miles.  Ball joints and tie rods along with the rubber bushings would be long gone yet are still the originals.

Offline TUFCAT

« Reply #560 on: March 23, 2014 - 06:17:41 PM »
:smilielol:  Makes you feel old doesn't it?  I still do a double take ever time I say that my oldest daughter is 7 already.   :eek2:  However, if the car does have only 10,000 miles, chances are the date coding on the shoes would coincide with around when the drums were made.  Again, this is all hypothetical but there is a lot of strong evidence which has me leaning in that direction.  Just way too many original parts that more than likely would have been replaced at 100,000 miles.  Ball joints and tie rods along with the rubber bushings would be long gone yet are still the originals.

I agree.  Even if the drums are the original ones, the shoes would have had to been replaced with that many miles.  This is why I am hoping that I find the penta star on the shoes which would also be another indication that the shoes are original.   Silly question but where would I find a date code on the cores of the shoes?

You talked to the third owner last year after tracking down the vehicles history, so why not ask if the mileage was under 10K?

Thanks for the reply.  No build sheet yet but I do know there is one out there somewhere!  I was able to talk to the third owner of the vehicle the other day and he said that he found it when he pulled the carpeting out and it went with the car to the new owner which was some where in NC and then up to Mass.

The next bit of paperwork seems to go from Chrysler Motors Corp in Or. to a dealership which looks to be Barker Motors Inc. on 4/25/69.  So far we have a paper trail up till 2002 at least for Oregon!  Seems like this car was sold new in the area of Roseburg or Grants Pass, Oregon.  I gotta say, tracing the history of this vehicle is just like being a detective and it is exciting as all can be!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014 - 06:33:59 PM by TUFCAT »

Offline resq302

« Reply #561 on: March 23, 2014 - 06:30:08 PM »
Well, for one thing, I now question his recollection as he had said the car had a red pin stripe since day one.  I have since found proof that a white pin stripe had been on the car just as the fender tag was coded for.  I also found other inconsistencies so question how accurate the mileage he recalled from about 10 years ago was.

Its kind of hard to say that the red pin stripe was original to the car when you find proof like this in more than one place!   :smilielol:

Offline resq302

« Reply #562 on: March 24, 2014 - 09:49:04 PM »
So I got the carb reassembled last night and installed onto the car today.  Didn't have a chance to fire it up and fine tune it (you'll see why later) plus a bunch of other things done today on the car.

Notice the green teflon coating still on the primary throttle shaft!  (yes, I know the one bracket is on upside down for the choke pull off, it was since fixed after I installed it on the car)

Also got the trunk weather stripping back on.  Man I love the way it looks!  Correct yellow adhesive that was on there before was reapplied just as the factory would have done.

Dad got the correct wide pattern sealed beam GE headlights reinstalled. (just have to paint the surrounds and the front end will be done!)

Pulled the pass side wheels off and confirmed the original dated brake drums were still there!  Also found the original red  paint on the drum faces confirming road wheels from the factory!  As an added bonus, found  a green inspection mark on the hub snout!

Front drum:

Rear drum:  (again, more red paint found under the cast gray paint someone put on)

Date coding of 8J18 !

BUDD (manufacturing company) cast into the drum.