Author Topic: Will It Fit - Install Engine & Trans Together  (Read 4550 times)

Offline EddieE

Will It Fit - Install Engine & Trans Together
« on: May 10, 2012 - 11:47:31 PM »
Can I install the small block and A833 (together)?  I have them mated hanging from the crane, and the car is on a Maxx Jaxx 48" height lift in my garage.  I can lift the car after the assembly is in the engine bay.

Veterans of the small block install, please advise.

Offline EddieE

Re: Will It Fit - Install Engine & Trans Together
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012 - 11:49:13 PM »
Sorry I'm a dope.  The install is in a 74 Cuda, obviously with the manual (A833) trans.

Offline challengermaniac

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012 - 12:27:17 AM »
It should be okay (heigth wise) although I prefer doing this job outdoors when it's not raining.  Installing the motor & trans together is the only way to go.  Of course having an engine leveler on your hoist will make the job a lot easier.
Charlie
70 Challenger 340/4 Purple
70 Challenger T/A Red
Edmonds, WA

Offline DMZ73

• http://www.pbase.com/dmz73/
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012 - 11:58:26 PM »
I recommend decking the car, and loading the engine and trans on the cradle from the bottom.
It's nearly painless.
You don't risk damaging your firewall, nor your radiator support, or anything else by bringing the assembly from the bottom.

Dan
One E body saved, 7 years and counting.

Offline joelson6

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2012 - 01:20:35 AM »
if you gonna do it without removing the k-frame and installing everything from underneath, i'd lift up
the back of the car about as high as you can go. i saw a picture of "them" installing an engine/trans
into an A/C Cobra at Shelby's facility from back in the 60's. they had a ramp that put the ass-end of
the cars about 3 feet higher than the front. this allowed the engine and trans to be installed together
without a heavy angle on everything.  :thumbsup:

Offline GranCuda1970

• Sr. Resident
  • Rev 20:4. Mat 6:33 John 1:3 Mat 26:41
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2012 - 02:02:27 AM »
 I'll let you know tomorrow!! Paul wants to put the motor in tomorrow starting 9am. I have the 4-speed married to the 440 with the pumps brackets everything bolted on it now i have finished with a few issues I had with the engine. I will set the car down on all fours roll it back.  Jack up the rear with floor jacks on both rear torque boxes and a jack under the rear end. crawl underneath and guide the tailshaft while he runs the hoist. I will bolt up the crossmember and the mounts then set her down. Same way we loaded the v-12 with overdrive into his 47 lincoln. Wish me luck!!

Offline Chlngrcrzy

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2012 - 04:42:58 PM »
Jacking up the rear end  Hmmmm   :sly:  Can you do it without taking the hood off?

Offline cudazappa

Will It Fit - Install Engine & Trans Together
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2012 - 05:25:15 PM »
if you gonna do it without removing the k-frame and installing everything from underneath, i'd lift up
the back of the car about as high as you can go. i saw a picture of "them" installing an engine/trans
into an A/C Cobra at Shelby's facility from back in the 60's. they had a ramp that put the ass-end of
the cars about 3 feet higher than the front. this allowed the engine and trans to be installed together
without a heavy angle on everything.  :thumbsup:

Great idea in a couple weeks I am doing this at my parents house with my Challenger.  I have also done the drop the k-frame and install the engine from the bottom.  It's a more time consuming process but yes you don't have to worry about your sheet metal nearly as much.
The main reason I am going in from the top is I am leaving my exhaust installed so I don't have open headers when I break in the motor (Mom probably won't appreciate that....)
1971 Challenger - AutoX project
2015 Dart GT - Daily Driver

Offline GranCuda1970

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2012 - 09:10:24 AM »
Jacking up the rear end  Hmmmm   :sly:  Can you do it without taking the hood off?

No you have to take the hood off but taking it off is as easy as 4 bolts and 2 or 3 people. Just get the rear up about 3 or 4 clicks high on a set of tall jack stands under axle housings, leave the floor jack on the rear hounsing.
Makes it nice when guiding the tranny in and up the engine just dropped perfectly onto the motor mounts like they belonged there and with 2 eyes on while 1 runs the hoist you will not hit the firewall and scruff paint.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012 - 09:18:42 AM by GranCuda1970 »

Offline CHL2T

• Handle it, man!
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2012 - 11:09:00 PM »
I did it in my backyard twelve years ago, by myself, on gravel..... installed in my 73 Cuda and it was a 440 mated to an 833. So yes, it will fit.

I had the front end sky high and now thinking about it, I should have had the rear sky high instead.....

Good luck

Offline joelson6

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2012 - 10:21:03 PM »
 :useless:

pics, pics, pics!  :popcorn:

take some pics and post them. i'd love to see it. i never did it myself, but the next time i do a motor and trans, it going in that way.

Offline Chlngrcrzy

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2012 - 10:55:01 PM »
I am still debating about going in with the butt up or dropping the k-member off and lifting the front up, and setting it down on the k-member. Headers will be on, will that matter? I really dont want to mess with the hood again.

Offline joelson6

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2012 - 10:49:46 PM »
here's how i put the engine and trans in my '72 challenger. that i lifted the body and installed everything from underneath.
i made a dolly out of 4x4's for the K-frame and engine/trans. it took a little planning but once everything was ready, i had
it in and bolted to the car in about an hour and a 1/2.

it's on page 26 and 27

http://www.gteck.net/72Resto26.html

Offline GranCuda1970

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2012 - 05:46:00 AM »
I did it in my backyard twelve years ago, by myself, on gravel..... installed in my 73 Cuda and it was a 440 mated to an 833. So yes, it will fit.

I had the front end sky high and now thinking about it, I should have had the rear sky high instead.....

Good luck
That would have been impressive to see. I would not even know where to begin with the front jacked up! :roflsmiley:

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2012 - 09:35:16 AM »
having done it from the bottom a number of times this is the only way to do it . everything is attached to the engine , headers starter etc actually it takes less time to install .

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t