Author Topic: restoring tail lights  (Read 1061 times)

Offline 72cudamaan

• Resident
restoring tail lights
« on: May 14, 2012 - 08:46:36 AM »
Does anyone know what color the finish is on the inside of a tail light? Mine happen to be 72-74 barracuda
but I think  they are all the same. It's a off silver color but I can't seem to duplicate it.
                                                        Thanks, Andy
If I cant fix it, it's broke

Andy  (phukker whither)

Offline Giveitawack

• ebay
Re: restoring tail lights
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012 - 11:42:34 PM »
I have tried to restore Barracuda -70 tail lights and the front parking/turn lights. The paint has a very hard surface. Not that affected by paint stripper. Even tried acid dip. The acid eats the metal but not the paint. The silver is more reflecting and vivid than the paints I have used.
Kind of feels like powder coating. I would like to try powder coating. Mask the outside, put the powder on and put it in an oven.

Offline 72cudamaan

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012 - 07:56:58 AM »
I have tried to restore Barracuda -70 tail lights and the front parking/turn lights. The paint has a very hard surface. Not that affected by paint stripper. Even tried acid dip. The acid eats the metal but not the paint. The silver is more reflecting and vivid than the paints I have used.
Kind of feels like powder coating. I would like to try powder coating. Mask the outside, put the powder on and put it in an oven.

Unfortunately my tail light bezels are plastic and I wiped some thinner on the inside. Didn't hurt the plastic but the
silver finish started to come off.   :swear:
If I cant fix it, it's broke

Andy  (phukker whither)

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012 - 08:12:51 AM »
Are you talking about the reflective coating on the inside of the tail light housings....not on the lenses themselves?  I used chrome spraypaint.  It was pretty close to the original coating.

Offline 67vertman

• Sr. Resident
  • Member since 9-23-2005
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012 - 11:08:32 AM »
Are you talking about the reflective coating on the inside of the tail light housings....not on the lenses themselves?  I used chrome spraypaint.  It was pretty close to the original coating.

:iagree:

I have used chrome spray paint on many light housing, it works great and look factory.

Ron - Born and raised in Southern California

I got the 1970 Cuda, but still need the hot blonde to ride shotgun!

First car -1969 Road Runner 383 4sp

Current ride - 1970 Barracuda 440-6 4 sp Dana 60  (4:10)