What Computer Managment system?

Author Topic: What Computer Managment system?  (Read 17682 times)

Offline QuartermileCuda

• Shot of it in its Final Assembly
What Computer Managment system?
« on: May 14, 2012 - 11:37:29 PM »
Was wondering what ECU everyone has chosen to do with their Hemi swaps. OEM, FAST, or Accel... What are some things that you like and dont like with the one you have chosen? Any problems?
71 340-6 AAR 'Cuda Concept.
(Was a 73 Barracuda)
69 Dodge Charger 383 4 speed. T5 Copper Needing Resto!

340/416 Stroker, 904 w/ Gearvendors gear splitter, 3:91 Posi.
Cant wait to see how fast she'll move. ;)

Offline Travis72

Re: What Computer Managment system?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012 - 12:07:15 AM »
I have the FAST XFI so I can't comment on the other two but I'll list my pros and cons on the FAST.

Pro:
Version 2.0 has self tune learning capability
Plug and play harnesses, basically all you have to hook up is power and ground and the fuel pump relay
Tons of features in the software from power adders (superchargers, turbos, nitrous) to even a traction control mode (if you add the vehicle speed sensor)
The datalogger feature is great
Tons of tuning capability and flexibility (I guess this could be a con if you're imtimidated by that)
Lots of FAST XFI experts around so tech support is available

Cons:
More expensive then the other systems
The throttle cable on the throttle body (from a LS1) is on the passenger side and pulls backwards from the top. Requires a long custom bracket plus at full throttle mine rubbed on the PCV hose on the 6.1L
Requires 2 large holes in firewall unless you want to take harnesses apart and combine in to one

Hope this helps.

Travis
72 Cuda

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012 - 08:08:23 AM »
I just picked up I think Mopar Action, had a white Diamante on the cover, and they talked about a Hemi system by a guy named Nutter, I know, weird name, but evidently it works.  He uses a GM ECU as the article says those ECUs are more tuneable since the code for them has been cracked a long time ago unlike the factiry ECU. 

Check it out here: http://www.nutterracingengines.com/  Called the Hemitronics.  Not sure if it's any good but just some info for you.
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline QuartermileCuda

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012 - 10:46:04 PM »
I ended up buying the XFI 2.0. I haven't used any of the self learning. Im not to sure how well it works. I ended up using a throttle cable from a 3800 Camaro and made a bracket out of layers of sheet steel. I really like how the new TB is cable driven but I hate how the IAC makes such a sucking noise like a Kirby or an electrolux. @ Travis72 What did you do for a transmission kickdown and Air filter setup?
(Was a 73 Barracuda)

Offline Travis72

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012 - 12:15:57 AM »
Mine is a 5-speed manual so I didn't have to mess with a kickdown.  For an air filter I used a 4" silicone 90 degree adapter to 4" aluminum tubing to a Spectre air filter.  You can see a picture in the thread about drilling a hole for the harness.

Travis
72 Cuda

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012 - 03:33:38 AM »
I ended up buying the XFI 2.0. I haven't used any of the self learning. Im not to sure how well it works. I ended up using a throttle cable from a 3800 Camaro and made a bracket out of layers of sheet steel. I really like how the new TB is cable driven but I hate how the IAC makes such a sucking noise like a Kirby or an electrolux. @ Travis72 What did you do for a transmission kickdown and Air filter setup?

I think you picket the best one. I have the MOPAR AEM box and it dosent support self learning.
Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...

Offline johns cuda shop

• 71 Cuda Pro-Touring Build
  • Machinist and Fabricator
    • Custom Machine Components
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012 - 05:09:18 PM »
Interesting.... Does the fast 2.0 self tuning efi have provisions for boost ?. I also chose the Mopar AEM , I plan on adding a supercharger later. 
71 Cuda Gen III Aluminum 426 Hemi T56 6 speed 4.10 8.75 Modified & Lowered RMS coilover suspension Wilwood discs

Offline QuartermileCuda

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012 - 05:33:40 PM »
Interesting.... Does the fast 2.0 self tuning efi have provisions for boost ?. I also chose the Mopar AEM , I plan on adding a supercharger later.

The fast system can defiantly be setup for boost. I know you need to change the MAP sensor to one that can read the extra pressure along with a few other things. Boost is the next thing on my performance list as well. If I can only find a new or used Supercharger within my price range...
(Was a 73 Barracuda)

Offline grimmey71

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012 - 05:37:26 PM »
I have the FAST XFI so I can't comment on the other two but I'll list my pros and cons on the FAST.

Pro:
Version 2.0 has self tune learning capability
Plug and play harnesses, basically all you have to hook up is power and ground and the fuel pump relay
Tons of features in the software from power adders (superchargers, turbos, nitrous) to even a traction control mode (if you add the vehicle speed sensor)
The datalogger feature is great
Tons of tuning capability and flexibility (I guess this could be a con if you're imtimidated by that)
Lots of FAST XFI experts around so tech support is available

Cons:
More expensive then the other systems
The throttle cable on the throttle body (from a LS1) is on the passenger side and pulls backwards from the top. Requires a long custom bracket plus at full throttle mine rubbed on the PCV hose on the 6.1L
Requires 2 large holes in firewall unless you want to take harnesses apart and combine in to one

Hope this helps.

Travis
72 Cuda

Traction control! That's pretty cool

Offline johns cuda shop

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2012 - 05:13:17 AM »
 I am not a expert, I like the flexablity of both systems ,self learning is a plus, but this is how AEM is advertised. http://bouchillonperformance.com/G3Electronics.asp 
71 Cuda Gen III Aluminum 426 Hemi T56 6 speed 4.10 8.75 Modified & Lowered RMS coilover suspension Wilwood discs

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2012 - 10:47:57 PM »
I am not a expert, I like the flexablity of both systems ,self learning is a plus, but this is how AEM is advertised. http://bouchillonperformance.com/G3Electronics.asp

I'm an owner of the AEM box, notce I didn't say proud owner  :faint:

It's a great out dated race box...

Simply no more updates from AEM for this box EVER :scared:

The start cycle sucks it must make 2 compleet revalutions to record and pick up the crank signal.

This box is the only thing I wish I could change on my car. Someday I will buy the fast setup.  :burnout:

Anyone want to buy an AEM ecu cheep???

Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...

Offline Modern Muscle

• Modern Muscle Performance Group
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2012 - 11:14:05 AM »
We use the Mopar 05 Ram Truck ECM fully tunable and works with the factory harness. Can be used for manual and automatics. 

Offline QuartermileCuda

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2012 - 05:49:18 PM »
We use the Mopar 05 Ram Truck ECM fully tunable and works with the factory harness. Can be used for manual and automatics.

Thats what I had before I bought my FAST system. It ran great besides stalling under heavy breaking and having an surge at idle. No one in my area wanted to tune the car for under 1500. I also tried the diablo tuner and it didn't live up to my standards. (Not to mention it wiped the OEM computer to where I had to re-flash it.) Wile it was a good setup I dont think I would do it again.
(Was a 73 Barracuda)

Offline johns cuda shop

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2012 - 07:51:30 PM »
 AHHH , Thats sounds like that might be the problem. The Fast system is easier and cheaper to tune. I know that the AEM Mopar unit was the only PCM specifically designed by SRT to run the Gen 3 Hemi. The problem looks like that most tuners are used to tuning Chevy and Ford PCMs (MAF sensor type and not speed density type like the hemi mopar has).  If memory recalls me, I think the Mopar AEM has a Adaptive Memory and also you can tune to your specific area , altitude, weather, ect. I am not sure if the Fast XFI does that, Maybe someone knows.The self tuning Fast PCM has several advantages as noted but my question is it as efficent as the Mopar AEM that is tuned correctly. Just my 2 cents
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012 - 05:20:48 PM by johns cuda shop »

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2012 - 02:13:55 PM »
I just picked up I think Mopar Action, had a white Diamante on the cover, and they talked about a Hemi system by a guy named Nutter, I know, weird name, but evidently it works.  He uses a GM ECU as the article says those ECUs are more tuneable since the code for them has been cracked a long time ago unlike the factiry ECU. 

Check it out here: http://www.nutterracingengines.com/  Called the Hemitronics.  Not sure if it's any good but just some info for you.

I saw that article. Looks like a solid and approach.