Author Topic: vintage air gen IV ???  (Read 14016 times)

Offline leanburn

Re: vintage air gen IV ???
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2012 - 09:51:09 PM »
 i could not get my vents out. truth be told, i knew i was redoing my car in the near future so instead of removing the dash i took a die grinder with a zipcut and chopped the lower portion off the vents off and just stuffed the hoses from the vintage kit inside. now that i'm redoing my car i got an ac dash and installed proper vents.

Offline Lockout76

• Everything's a project...
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2012 - 10:02:52 PM »
Ha, too funny.

I though the same thing when I was looking underneath the dash as a 2nd option. I know there is no way I am getting to the bolts from underneath, but mine seem to be bolted in from the top side.

I guess we will see. Got the kit ordered, just waiting to start installing.

Thanks,

Mike
-1974 'Cuda 340, 4-speed, 3.55 Sure-Grip.

Offline grimmey71

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2012 - 09:22:28 AM »
 Are there any mods to the firewall that need to be made for the vintage air kit? Would like to know prior to paint, thanks.

Offline leanburn

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2012 - 04:53:37 PM »
you have to drill two 1/4'' holes through firewall, thats it. i welded up the holes for the stock heater hoses. everything goes through the large hole in firewall that the stock blower motor sticks out.

Offline grimmey71

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2012 - 07:22:46 PM »
 :working:
you have to drill two 1/4'' holes through firewall, thats it. i welded up the holes for the stock heater hoses. everything goes through the large hole in firewall that the stock blower motor sticks out.

Thanks for the info, I guess I should have asked before filling in my firewall lol

Offline diyhemi.com

• Formerly Yellowfin
    • DIYHEMI.COM
vintage air gen IV ???
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2012 - 09:12:47 PM »
It's all good, just buy a bulkhead fitting and use that to go through the firewall. I'm actually filling in my firewall too and smoothing everything out. My bulkhead fitting will be near the fender for a nice install.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2012 - 09:16:46 PM by YellowFin »
1970 Barracuda Gran Coupe, gen III project (Cone Killing Cuda)

Offline TinCuda

• 'Cuda
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2012 - 09:48:25 PM »
 :popcorn:
(O O [             SRT ] O O)
(O O {]{]{]||[}[}[} O O)
{||O||}

2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
1971 Plymouth 'Cuda 440-6
2008 Dodge Charger R/T Hemi
2015 Chrysler 200c AWD 3.6L
2000 Yamaha V-Max
Doing my part to leave a big carbon footprint!
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Shot at 2012-09-05

Offline userdead626

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2012 - 11:52:32 PM »
Would love to see some more pics on non-a/c dashes.

Offline TROUBLE987

vintage air gen IV ???
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2012 - 01:05:02 AM »
Mine is a grand coupe and came with ac..I don't have a thing from the fire wall forward..I'm kind of don't know which way I want to go..the box under my dash looks good..but I know I need to go thru it..would guys just get rid of I and go complete vintage or get the kit from the fire wall forward?..little input please..thx

Offline diyhemi.com

• Formerly Yellowfin
    • DIYHEMI.COM
vintage air gen IV ???
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2012 - 06:59:04 AM »
Mine is a grand coupe and came with ac..I don't have a thing from the fire wall forward..I'm kind of don't know which way I want to go..the box under my dash looks good..but I know I need to go thru it..would guys just get rid of I and go complete vintage or get the kit from the fire wall forward?..little input please..thx

It really depends on what you are going for. Do you want original parts or modern technology and better functionality?

As far as function and price, it's hard to beat vintage air. Their systems are tested and proven to spit out some seriously cold air. Factory is great if you are into numbers matching original equipment setups.

I've installed a few vintage air kits and love them.

Offline TROUBLE987

vintage air gen IV ???
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2012 - 09:41:36 AM »
Thx yellow for the info..I'm not into numbers matching. I want a nice modern feel muscle car..I have been back and forth on this for a while..I need to make a decision and stick with it..The biggest deal for me is welding up the motor hole and tubes coming thru the wall..

Offline diyhemi.com

• Formerly Yellowfin
    • DIYHEMI.COM
vintage air gen IV ???
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2012 - 11:38:54 AM »
Thx yellow for the info..I'm not into numbers matching. I want a nice modern feel muscle car..I have been back and forth on this for a while..I need to make a decision and stick with it..The biggest deal for me is welding up the motor hole and tubes coming thru the wall..

That's the beauty of a vintage air kit. It comes with all adapters and plastic block off pieces so that you don't have to cut up anything and can always return to original. I'm welding in my firewall because I like the look and will be doing a custom twist to the car. The kits as they come are complete and you can install it in a weekend without cutting or modifying anything.

I encourage you to look over the installation instructions to get a feel for how easy the kit truly is, you'll be pleased I'm sure.

http://www.vintageair.com/download/0607/Downloads%2006-2007/1970-74%20Challenger%20Cuda/Factory%20Air%20Vehicle/Factory-Air%20Vehicle%20w-o%20Rallye%20Dash/574074-EDZ%20Evaporator%20Kit%20w%20AC%20(Rev%20A%20%207-12-06).pdf

http://www.vintageair.com/catalog09/09%20VintageAir%20Catalog%2045.pdf
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012 - 11:43:58 AM by YellowFin »

Offline userdead626

« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2012 - 09:41:45 PM »
It really depends on what you are going for. Do you want original parts or modern technology and better functionality?

As far as function and price, it's hard to beat vintage air. Their systems are tested and proven to spit out some seriously cold air. Factory is great if you are into numbers matching original equipment setups.

I've installed a few vintage air kits and love them.

I had sort of assumed that being such an aftermarket kit the vintage air would help, but not put out 'seriously cold air'. It's really great to hear that isn't the case! I'm more and more tempted but unsure of how difficult the install will be on my non-ac chally.

Offline Travis72

« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2012 - 09:01:36 PM »
Grimmey, if you haven't painted your firewall you should weld some brackets to the inside to mount the unit before paint.  I made the mistake of painting everything years before I ever mocked up the vintage air unit, so I had to make custom brackets to mount the unit.  You can see pictures of how I did it on my build thread (see post #304):

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=28465.0

Travis
72 Cuda

Offline wally426ci

• Sr. Resident
    • maryland mopars
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2012 - 07:12:06 AM »
I want to do this at some point as well I believe.

And where can you buy the kit for under hood. I would think you don't need the aftermarket heater box for AC cars but I can't find it anywhere.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012 - 07:21:26 AM by wally426ci »
{OOI====I====IOO}
      '71 Challenger
      [O[]=====[]O]
      '68 D100