Author Topic: vintage air gen IV ???  (Read 14026 times)

Offline jordan

• no replacement for displacement
vintage air gen IV ???
« on: May 17, 2012 - 06:22:20 PM »
I am wondering if anybody is running the vintage air gen IV system and if there are any drawback or does it work as good as it is advertised.  How well does the brackets fit?  Any installation issues?  Will the compressor fit under a 6-pack air lid?  Is the interior box installation difficult?  I was told there is not outside air ventilation, just a/c and heat?  Is this a cause of concern, or will I just use the system instead of rolling down the window?  My other option is to go with the Bouchillon firewall forward kit and have my old box restored.  I have concerns about the vacuums switches, vacuum tubing, and poor door sealing.   Any thing offered will be considered before I drop the big money.  Thanks guys.  J
"Don't brake until you see God!"

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
Re: vintage air gen IV ???
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012 - 08:58:11 PM »
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline leanburn

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012 - 12:16:19 PM »
 i installed a vintag air kit on my car a couple years ago.  i had some minor issues on the install that i thought the directions should have covered so i wrote them down. pm me if you run into trouble.
 as far as the kit working, it doesn't blow extremely cold but cold enough to make it worthwile. i need to get an idle selonoid so i can turn the ac on and not stall at lights [ i have to keep foot on gas ] . it was definately worth it, i would by another one in a heartbeat.

Offline userdead626

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012 - 03:55:54 AM »
Great question. I would love to hear more feedback!

Offline jordan

• no replacement for displacement
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012 - 06:01:18 PM »
I made a few phone calls a few weeks ago, and ended up talking to Bouchillion Performance.  The dude there gave me some good advice.  They sell everything from the firewall forward, so you can connect to your stock box in the passenger compartment.  This configuration will still let you have a vent to outside air, where  the aftermarket kits do not have a vent.  He also said he prefers the Vintage kit to the Classic kit for Mopar applications.  I bit the bullet and bought the Vintage Gen IV kit.  I figure if I need a vent, I will just open the window.  I received the kit yesterday, and it sure looks like a lot of parts and pieces.  Im not planning on getting the kit installed in an afternoon or any thing like that!  My biggest concern now is if the brackets supplied to fit the compressor will fit with my 6-pack.  If it doesn't, then I will get the bracket from Bouchillion.   I am close to having everything ordered and in the garage for my build, and am hoping to start disassembly next week.  I don't know if I will have the A/C working yet this year or not. 
"Don't brake until you see God!"

Offline leanburn

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012 - 06:35:11 PM »
 i had a buddy help me and we got 90% finished in a day. i had to get a hose made up the next day because my grill interfered with the way they wanted to mount the condensor so i had to change mounting position wich made the hardlines useless.

Offline Lockout76

• Everything's a project...
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012 - 10:51:26 PM »
leanburn -

I'm about to pull the trigger on this kit in a couple of weeks. Do you mind posting pictures of the interference with the grill and the condenser and what you did to get it to work? That is the only thing that is holding me up on this kit. I've read a couple of post with this happening to 72-74 Cuda's.

Thanks, Mike
-1974 'Cuda 340, 4-speed, 3.55 Sure-Grip.

Offline leanburn

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012 - 11:28:21 PM »
 my car is currently in a thousand pieces. i'm slowly getting it back together, i will be mocking up my rad in the next day or two so i will take some pics for ya. if my memory serves me right it was the switch that was hitting the backside of the grill. i moved the condensor down an inch or so. i was able to salvage one hardline by hand bending it to fit but the other was a no go so i got some hose made up. a minor detail in the big picture.

while i'm thinking of it. when the directions say to run a seperate power AND GROUND from battery. trust me, run a power AND GROUND. i tried grounding to every part of the car and the fan would kick in and out until i ran the ground.

Offline Lockout76

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2012 - 12:42:01 AM »
Thanks for the info. Look forward to seeing the photos.

Offline leanburn

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2012 - 08:36:54 PM »

the last pic should give you a pretty good idea. the problem is the binary switch. no big deal to move it down.

Offline Lockout76

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2012 - 06:44:08 PM »
Awesome, Thanks for the pictures. It's a lot tighter in that area than I though it would be. Looks do-able,

-Mike

Offline leanburn

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2012 - 09:36:53 PM »
 another thing i just remembered is they told me that it was possible to change the dash vents without pulling the dash. that is bs.  you have to pull your dash.

Offline Lockout76

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2012 - 08:34:50 PM »
Was your car a factory a/c car or heater only?

Does dash vents mean defrost vents or the stock a/c vents?

-Mike

Offline leanburn

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2012 - 09:46:36 PM »
mine is a heater only and yes the defrost vents is what i was referring to.

Offline Lockout76

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2012 - 08:16:46 PM »
The installation seems pretty straight forward. I spoke to the guys at vintage air and they seemed to think I wouldn't have a problem hitting the grille, I told them about deal with 72-74 cudas, he said I could get an inline switch if need be, however I believe I'll do what you did.

Another question:
You said you had to pull the dash for your vents; In the instructions it says to access the bolts that hold the defrost vents from under the dash. Were your defrost vents screwed in from the underside or were you able to get the bolts from the top?

-Mike
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012 - 08:21:10 PM by Lockout76 »