Do I have the right parts?

Author Topic: Do I have the right parts?  (Read 1955 times)

Offline Jocigar

Do I have the right parts?
« on: May 18, 2012 - 02:06:51 PM »

Hi guys, It's been a while since I took the car apart.   I have two sets of flywhee/pressure plates... one was for 340 the other should be for my 440 HP engine.   Can anyone validate I have the correct one before I start bolting parts on?   If you can look beyond the rust  :misbehaving: (plan on sandblasting both)   

also, do I need to have them re-surfaced or can I just use a da sander.   

while I am asking, I should also put in new pressure plate... should I go to mopar dealer or napa or mancini

As aaalways thanks for the help    :wave:

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: Do I have the right parts?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012 - 07:09:20 PM »
check the flange bolt pattern , the set up looks like a ford sysytem & I do not see the offset hole , so try it on the crank first to make sure the bolt pattern is correct .

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Jocigar

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012 - 03:11:01 PM »
Thanks,

Do big block and small block use the same Flywheel/pressure plate?

The only thing it could be other than mopar is  a jaguar  xk120 set-up.  Does pressure plate look way off for mopars?

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012 - 09:13:02 AM »
the small block & big block do use the same flywheels , the balancing is different for some applications though .
 the pressure plate is the Long style which I have never seen used in a Mopar , but the flywheel matches the PP bolt pattern so they are a set .
 There are 2 Mopar flywheels used , a 10.95" with a 130 tooth flywheel & a 11" with a 143 tooth flywheel , both use the same clutch disc .
I would use McLeod for a new clutch if that is what you need , Mancini may carry them

Offline Jocigar

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012 - 11:07:03 AM »

CP, didn’t mean to throw a curve ball.. I measured the flywheel in picture and it was 15" so I went back to have another look and found the correct parts.

I plan on having flywheel re-surfaced for $70 at a local shop.

About the pressure plate... I blasted it clean and it reads beck & borg, I don’t have all the numbers on me.   Question is, can they resurface the pressure plate?  the surface is not level and I can see heat cracks throughout.   What would you advise please?   

Thank you.

Offline oldkimmer

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012 - 12:38:09 PM »
...............replace both clutch and pressure plate..............kim..........
The beast has been unleashed........Thems the hazzards..........Unleash the beast......

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012 - 03:40:50 PM »
if the cracks are shallow both the Flywheel & PP can be surfaced .

Offline Jocigar

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012 - 09:31:41 AM »
THanks!!  Do you know if PP needs to come apart to resurface?   I will try another shop since the first one did not offer the service.   I see replacement of same type for 200 at summit.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012 - 10:51:57 PM »
I do not believe it has to come apart , I would buy a McLeod if you are going to replace it

Offline Jocigar

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2012 - 09:46:18 AM »

Chryco, Here are the blasted parts.  I did read your 'basic cluth info' post.  I am not sure I understand if the 440-6 engine get a different flywheel than a standard 440.  These are original to the car, so no reason to be wrong, just want to make sure (they could belong to my 340 engine).     

there are a lot of small specific details that could really screw things up according to your dissertation on this (bolts included).

Maybe I should post pics of the engine as well... second guessing everything since I started this 20 years ago.   I know the engine was rebuilt and crank was not balanced with flywheel.

thanks  :worshippy

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2012 - 12:03:05 AM »
those look like the correct parts for sure , the flywheel has a notch out of it so it seems to be for an external balance engine , what year 340 , ti may be correct for a 73 cast crank

Offline Jocigar

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2012 - 09:42:22 AM »

THe 340 was in my 73 4spd cuda but I am trying to finish my 70  V code at this time... so I hope this one works!? 

Guess it takes a 10.95 clutch plate?

thanks

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2012 - 09:57:00 AM »
Yes it takes the 10.95 pressure plate . the flywheel will  not work for a internal balanced engine though .
 Same 11" disc for both clutch systems , 10.95 /130 tooth or 11" 143 tooth

Offline Jocigar

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2012 - 02:37:01 PM »
just to be sure, here is the engine...  ready and waiting in a corner since the early 90s.   

simple question while I am at it... thread lock with fw and pp assembly ?  med strength? 

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2012 - 08:39:35 PM »
Cool , 440 HP with 6 pack rods & damper so assuming it is as original you now need a specially balanced flywheel , there is an illustration in the Mopar engine manual on how to balance a flywheel for this . It will nto be the same weight offset as a cast 340 for sure .