Author Topic: Look what the cat dragged home...  (Read 4847 times)

Offline TUNISCO

Look what the cat dragged home...
« on: May 28, 2012 - 03:23:35 AM »
  Hi everybody, my name is Scott.

Thought I'd introduce myself and hopefully share my latest project, a 70 'cuda.
I've always had Chevys but have had an eye out for a 'cuda for quite some time. So I finally found one that I wanted last month on craigslist. Numbers matching 383, 727, 3.91 suregrip two tag car.

So kind of a cool story...

Says it's been sitting in a barn for 18 years, so I go look at it, guy shows me the original title, the warranty card, and the last registration from Dec 1979. The car is wearing the original WA plates with 1980 tabs. Oh yeah, forgot to say I was born, raised and still live in Olympia, WA.
So this guy bought the car from his mother-in-law in 1994 after she let it sit since 1980, he stuck it in his barn and never got around to it.

I'm a little fuzzy on the story but it sounds like with 78k on the odometer the car was stolen for just a hot minute until the wanna be racers put a pushrod through a rocker and bent several others.
Before making a hasty retreat they managed to steal the front wheels and the hood emblems.

Anyway I spent a couple hours with my buddy looking it over, I had to take the back seat out and unbolt the trunk latch (what a *****) because he had no key (later found in ash tray under butts). When I finally got in I found the collapsible spare with the original air can and an unopened quart of Pennzoil that had seeped out entirely and coated the trunk floor. I took one of the thin phone book magnets and could not find a place on the car that it would not stick, one thing the guy did do was paint the entire car in Rustoleum, that's always a bit scary.

Inside I was finding 13 cent stamps, Shaklee catalogs and Juicy fruit gum wrappers and funniest of all was a letter from an insurance salesman that ended with "may the force be with you"

So it's got your rally guages, six way seat, elastomeric bumper, rear window defogger, power discs, steering and some other stuff. Yellow with black vinyl top and hocky stripe.

My last build was full on pro touring but I can't see that for this car, it's got every part with the exception of the passenger seat latch button housing and possibly a valance insert, I'm not even sure it's suppose to have one is it?

Anyway I hope to start a resto thread soon so stay tuned!

« Last Edit: June 01, 2012 - 12:32:14 AM by TUNISCO »

Offline TinCuda

• 'Cuda
Re: Look what the cat dragged home...
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012 - 03:43:27 AM »
Wow, what a great story and a car with lots of potential.   I am really looking forward to watching this car come together!

(O O [             SRT ] O O)
(O O {]{]{]||[}[}[} O O)
{||O||}

2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
1971 Plymouth 'Cuda 440-6
2008 Dodge Charger R/T Hemi
2015 Chrysler 200c AWD 3.6L
2000 Yamaha V-Max
Doing my part to leave a big carbon footprint!
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Shot at 2012-09-05

Offline TorOrange

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012 - 04:11:37 AM »
 :wave: Cool story and a great project. Looking forward to seeing what you end up doing with the car.
WANTED 71 cuda / barracuda project. Prefer Black but open.

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012 - 06:54:27 AM »
Welcome! Nice score on finding the Cuda!  :2thumbs:
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline 71gogreen

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012 - 07:15:55 AM »
Very nice find,Is that the orginal color Black?The car looks solid,how is the roof? :smokin: : :cheers:
71challenger-millcreek park\71challenger-millcreek

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012 - 08:59:17 AM »
Very cool. Usually I don't lean toward bone stock, but I think this car needs to remain as it was built.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline drewcrane

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012 - 09:36:59 AM »
Well I am going to say what every one is thinking..........................you lucky bas...................... :bigsmile: just kidding dam nice find there :drunk:

Offline Skunkworks Challenger

• Mopars forever!
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2012 - 11:18:07 AM »
Scott, great find with the Cuda.  Keep it stock except up-grade the electrical system and go electronic ignition.  When I tie Scott to TUNISCO do I get Scott Tunison, son of Larry?  I'm from Olympia as well.  PK
The Brewmaster

Offline TUNISCO

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2012 - 11:55:18 AM »
Very nice find,Is that the orginal color Black?The car looks solid,how is the roof? :smokin: : :cheers:
Its was Yellow with a black vinyl top, It's gonna need minor rust repair but no panel replacement.

Scott, great find with the Cuda.  Keep it stock except up-grade the electrical system and go electronic ignition.  When I tie Scott to TUNISCO do I get Scott Tunison, son of Larry?  I'm from Olympia as well.  PK
Ahh.....ratted out already
So when I tie PK to Brewmaster do I get Paul Knight?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012 - 11:57:25 AM by TUNISCO »

• Mopars forever!
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2012 - 12:07:39 PM »
Ahh.....ratted out already
So when I tie PK to Brewmaster do I get Paul Knight?

Yep, fraid so.  Hi Scott!  It's been a long time--welcome back to Olympia.  Last time I saw you was when you were living in California but that was many years ago and you were working in the electronics field I think.  You stopped by the brewery to see your dad and the both of you came by my office.  Small world.  We will have to get togeather for a visit and talk cars.  I have a 70 Challenger RT.  PK
The Brewmaster

Offline cwestra

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2012 - 01:35:44 PM »
That will be a beautiful car when your done.  Yellow with black top is a great combination.  Good luck with it.
Corey - in Northern Indiana

Offline challengermaniac

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2012 - 01:16:05 AM »
Hi Scott & Paul,

Hope you guys consider coming out to the All Mopar Spring Roundup Car Show this Sunday at Mariner High School in Everett, WA.  They always have a good swap meet area where you can likely pick up some of the parts you may need.  I'll be there with my T/A, weather permitting-------- although forecast doesn't look that good right now.

Charlie
Charlie
70 Challenger 340/4 Purple
70 Challenger T/A Red
Edmonds, WA

Offline TUNISCO

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2012 - 09:39:24 AM »
Hi Scott & Paul,

Hope you guys consider coming out to the All Mopar Spring Roundup Car Show this Sunday at Mariner High School in Everett, WA.  They always have a good swap meet area where you can likely pick up some of the parts you may need.  I'll be there with my T/A, weather permitting-------- although forecast doesn't look that good right now.

Charlie

Thanks for the heads up, Paul just let me know about Mopars at the Ridge on the 24th. You might want to check that out too. I unfortunately, work weekends.......DANG!

Offline wally426ci

• Sr. Resident
    • maryland mopars
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2012 - 10:14:19 AM »
Great car!!! great story.  :popcorn:
{OOI====I====IOO}
      '71 Challenger
      [O[]=====[]O]
      '68 D100

• Mopars forever!
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2012 - 11:32:03 AM »
Thanks for the heads up, Paul just let me know about Mopars at the Ridge on the 24th. You might want to check that out too. I unfortunately, work weekends.......DANG!

Charlie, I cannot make the Everett show either due to being committed to the show at the "America's Car Museum" opening.  Too bad there is a conflict in scheduling.  I'm sure there are others that would like to be both places.  I would really like to see your T/A.  Scott and I have been in contact via e-mails and I offered him use of my rotisserie for his restoration.  The fee is a "free" look at his Cuda.  Do you know about "The Ridge", the new race track in Shelton---having a drag strip, road course, show field, motor cycle track and more?  Rocket Restorations of Olympia is sponsoring an event there on June 23-24 and I'm hoping to be there.  I can forward you some information if you like.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012 - 11:49:33 AM by Skunkworks Challenger »
The Brewmaster