Author Topic: Flip Top Gas Cap Install and Mounting Solution  (Read 2758 times)

Offline 82firebird

Flip Top Gas Cap Install and Mounting Solution
« on: June 04, 2012 - 07:03:52 AM »
My flip top gas cap and trim ring came this weekend. With as sharp as the outer edge of the trim ring was, I was surprised there was no trim-ring to body gasket. I wasn't happy with mounting it direct to the paint so I grabbed a short section of vacuum hose and sliced it in half. The hose fit perfectly into the groove on the trim ring and allowed just enough clearance to keep it off the paint. The best part is, it looks right at home. Just thought I would share this little tip to anyone else looking to do the same.

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
Re: Flip Top Gas Cap Install and Mounting Solution
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012 - 04:01:11 PM »
Nice tip!  Thanks!  :thumbsup:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline CHL2T

• Handle it, man!
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012 - 10:41:30 PM »
Looks like a serious finger slicer right there......that being said, I am pretty sure there is a thin foam gasket that goes in there. Look up a paint seal kit on fleabay

Offline 82firebird

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012 - 11:16:17 AM »
Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but I think the foam gasket that is included in that set goes between the filler neck and the quarter (on the inside).