Author Topic: Odd color combo on my car. I need your opinions. FINALLY...Pictures!  (Read 6811 times)

Offline Telvis

Before I even start let me apologize for not posting pictures with this. Everything I have is on my iPhone and for some reason they won't transfer correctly onto my laptop for posting. Must be something with the formatting. I will take some this evening and post them.

Now, my dilemma...I have a 73 Challenger. Nothing fancy, just a 318 car. It's original Y9 dark gold metallic with a white vinyl top. I rebuilt the motor and tranny and repainted the engine bay during the winter. At this point I am committed to keeping the gold ( since I worked my keester off repainting the engine bay). The paint is in decent shape and the vinyl top is like new. I really don't care for the color combo all that much but I want to keep it and I want to make it look as good as possible.  I'm thinking of putting a stipe on it but can't decide style and color. I have never been a fan of white stripes but a couple people have said since it has a white top then I should use a white stripe. Any suggestions? Anyone seen this color combo with a stripe?

Thanks everyone!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012 - 09:25:21 PM by Telvis »

Offline captcolour

Re: Odd color combo on my car. I need your opinions.
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012 - 08:18:56 AM »
The only other option may be a brown stripe as long as the gold paint and brown stripe are similar in hue.  Otherwise, can't go wrong with the white stripe.  Or just put White Stripes in the 8-track!

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012 - 09:25:38 AM »
Does your car have the Rallye package?  If it has the fender louvers I wouldn't put anything other then the original style strobe stripes on it.  If it's just a standard Challenger, then the 1970 R/T stripe above(without the R/T) would look great. 

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012 - 09:55:40 AM »
 :iagree: Yeah, I agree, white stripes. 

IMO black would look really out of place.  Brown might be a consideration but then there might be too many colors going on.  Would like to see the brown stripe.
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline Telvis

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012 - 10:51:46 AM »
I guess white it will be. Now I have to decide on the style. Not a rallye car but I'm putting a rallye hood on it. Ordering it this week. Believe it or not the fender tag shows the car had a black longitudinal stripe when new.

Offline MJS73

• Mike's 1973 Challenger
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012 - 11:41:33 AM »
I would do the taillight panel body color with the white top and stripes.
www.mikes73.com
Don't PM me - send me an e-mail at mjsavage2001@yahoo.com

Offline captcolour

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012 - 07:36:55 PM »
Others here may have better photos, but you could go with the chrome trim piece if you can find it and it fits a '73, with no stripe.  Here's pics on a red and plum crazy:

Give you the line accent without adding color.

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2012 - 08:12:59 PM »
I guess white it will be. Now I have to decide on the style. Not a rallye car but I'm putting a rallye hood on it. Ordering it this week. Believe it or not the fender tag shows the car had a black longitudinal stripe when new.

Not all cars that had that hood had the A57 Rallye option for 1973.  I would imagine for that year if it's like the 1972 year if you ordered a 340 with your car you got that hood, I know your car is a 318.  :2cents:

I wonder what that black stripe looked like?  Doubt it looked like the '70 stripe.  I do remember seeing some pics of '73-'74 Challengers with a wide stripe on the upper half of the car that resembled something like the Barracuda stripe....  :dunno:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Offline Telvis

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2012 - 08:45:11 PM »
I would love to know why the black stripe looked like. Not big on the body molding although I remember when I was a kid my mom had to have it on her car. The white stripe is growing on me. Right now I'm leaning toward the mid full side stripe. I like the one in the link above.

As far as the tail panel being body color, the previous owner did just that. I don't care for it much. I have a pint of organisol mixed and ready to paint it black as soon as I can get the rear lower shock stud replaced  :bang head: I was installing an add-alleaf and broke it off. Ordered a new stud yesterday.

Offline Jamiez

• Retro
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2012 - 10:09:17 PM »
Well the 1974 trim manual has these pages:

Not the greatest picture, but if you can find someone with the 73 album it should have all the available options.  I doubt they changed much between 73 and 74 as not a lot did

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2012 - 10:56:42 AM »
Telvis, what code do you have?  Is it for the painted stripes?  V7_?

Offline Telvis

Re: Odd color combo on my car. I need your opinions. FINALLY...Pictures!
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2012 - 09:36:18 PM »
Sorry it took so long to get a picture up. I had them on my iPhone and they would not import. I had to wait until I got the new lower shock stud installed and the driver side add-a-leaf put on before I could get it off the lift and out of the garage. It was starting to get dark so the pic isn't the greatest. I sure spring drops a bit. It's bit high in the rear for my taste.

Anyhow, heres what she looks like with no stripe. So I have decided it will be white for sure. Please help me decide on the type of stripe.

I decoded the fender tag months ago. I know it isn't a V7_ stripe. I will try to post a picture of the I want to say it was V5X but i could be wrong. I will try and post a pic of the tag.

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
Re: Odd color combo on my car. I need your opinions. FINALLY...Pictures!
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2012 - 09:39:40 PM »
Very Pretty. Now that I see it, I think a white stripe would work really well. Maybe a 71 longitudinal, if you dont want to be original.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars