Author Topic: Always amazed remaned p/s box in stock  (Read 934 times)

Offline OUTLAW

• MASTER OF ALL THINGS MOPAR
  • I didn't say you can't RACE--I said you can't WIN
    • MOPAR-MADNESS  WEB/FORUM
Always amazed remaned p/s box in stock
« on: February 12, 2005 - 05:38:36 PM »
Went to local parts store last night to pick up a pair of points for a 340 dual point distributor... of course they had to order them . Picked them up the next morning and of course they wouldn't fit ... no surprize there!!! The real surprize came today when on a whim I thought I'd see if they had a reman power steering gear box for a 68 cuda, figuring it would throw them in to a fit of laughter as usual. Surprize! surprize!  They actually had one on hand .... lifetime warrenty... the right one too! And only $109.00 also had firm feel cop box for $10.00 more. Now go figure they would have the steering box on the shelf but a set of points is special order ....LOL
Just don't seem right either they get $100+ and all the places in the magazines start at $250 +...LOL Now if they only had replacement axles with 5 x4 1/2 bolt pattern for my cuda I would be a extreemly happy dude! But I don't think I will even ask ....just would be too much for my old heart to handle if they did....LOLO

Offline troutstreamnm

Re: Always amazed remaned p/s box in stock
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2005 - 11:48:23 PM »
Power steering boxes are readily available for mopars.  Hope your rebuilt one is good.  I installed a rebuilt box in my Charger which was a P.I.T.A. and when I started the car up, it leaked like a sieve  :mad:  Had to order another one, drain the system, remove the bad one, get another, and reinstall it a second time.  Fortunately, the second one worked fine.
08 SRT-8 Challenger
71 GA4 Challenger
70 FK5 Charger 500

Offline OUTLAW

• MASTER OF ALL THINGS MOPAR
  • I didn't say you can't RACE--I said you can't WIN
    • MOPAR-MADNESS  WEB/FORUM
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2005 - 04:57:27 AM »
last time I replaced the box was 20+ years ago and they were real expensive for reman and i ended up with a junkyard unit for a B body ...so was surprised to see the right one affordable

Offline troutstreamnm

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2005 - 08:44:41 AM »
Outlaw, where did you buy your rebuilt steering box?  Sounds like they have more options than NAPA where that I got mine.  Unfortunately, it looks like the box on the Challenger is beginning to weep fluid, so that may need to be replaced in the future.  That will be a major job since the headers will have to be removed first  :ack:
08 SRT-8 Challenger
71 GA4 Challenger
70 FK5 Charger 500