Author Topic: 1970 barracuda slant 6 to 440 'cuda transformation, structural reinforcements?  (Read 1768 times)

Offline nr1freak

• Go catch a 'Cuda, If you can...
hi!

a few years ago i started restauration on a 1970 slant six barracuda. i wanted to pull out the 6cilinder engine and fit the allmighty 440, which i purchased in the meantime. along with the 8 3/4 rear axle, the K-member and the 4-speed gearbox
i've just about finished changing the rear quarterpanels, firewall, trunk floor, etc..)  but now i've learned that the more powerfull cuda's had structural reinforcements (which the slant6 version hadn't...) so now i'm looking for someone who has does this kind of transformation or any online explanation on where those reinforcements should be!

anyone?
Cuda's don't leak oil, they mark territory...

Offline DocMel

I did it on my 71    As far as structural, really none.  The Hemis had torque boxes, but I dont beleive the 440's did

As I did, I would upgrade the front torsion bars to a larger diameter, and if you dont have a front sway bar, install one.  The quality of handling and ride improved big time in my case..............

Offline 67vertman

• Sr. Resident
  • Member since 9-23-2005
I am going from a 318 to a 440 with 500 hp.  I installed front and rear toqure boxes as well as frame stiffners.  Other than that the only thing they did at the factor was put a skid plate on the K-frame.  you will need to find a v-8 k_frame as the/6 wont work.

Ron - Born and raised in Southern California

I got the 1970 Cuda, but still need the hot blonde to ride shotgun!

First car -1969 Road Runner 383 4sp

Current ride - 1970 Barracuda 440-6 4 sp Dana 60  (4:10)

Offline usraptr

I did it on my 71    As far as structural, really none.  The Hemis had torque boxes, but I dont beleive the 440's did

As I did, I would upgrade the front torsion bars to a larger diameter, and if you dont have a front sway bar, install one.  The quality of handling and ride improved big time in my case..............

My '70 440 'Cuda came with front torque boxes from the factory.  FYI>  :2thumbs:
1970 Plymouth 'Cuda.  Matching numbers 440 U Code, 4 speed pistol grip, Rallye dash, AM 8 Track, Shaker hood, 15 inch rallye wheels, Dana 60 4.10, Super Track Pak.  One of 134 - 440 "U" coupes codes built in 1970 and one of 100 - 440 Super Track Paks built in 1970.

Restoration pictures at:  http://spanks4thememory.smugmug.com/Cars/70-Cuda/7240639_M24oi#465274575_2MBqW
(Edited 8-1-17)

"usraptr" = United States raptor - bird of prey = United States Bald Eagle.  FYI, somebody else thought of it first so I had to drop the "O" in raptor.

Offline nr1freak

• Go catch a 'Cuda, If you can...
I am going from a 318 to a 440 with 500 hp.  I installed front and rear toqure boxes as well as frame stiffners.  Other than that the only thing they did at the factor was put a skid plate on the K-frame.  you will need to find a v-8 k_frame as the/6 wont work.

do you happen to have any pictures of those frame stiffeners? (installed)
Cuda's don't leak oil, they mark territory...

Offline 7071 challenger

• All you need is Dodge!
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=62778.0

Here is a link for an old tread. If you go a few replies down, you will see some pics of the boxes installed.

Robert

Offline 7071 challenger

• All you need is Dodge!
here is a pic of the front torque boxes before installation.

Robert