Author Topic: AMD 70-72 Barracuda Bumper Guards vs. Bumperettes?  (Read 701 times)

Offline Road_Runner

• Mopar Owner & Standard Bearer Since 1974
AMD 70-72 Barracuda Bumper Guards vs. Bumperettes?
« on: June 21, 2012 - 10:37:34 AM »
Looking at swapping my 73 Barracuda's extended bumpers & rubber block bumper guards to the tucked in 72 style and have a question about the rear bumper guards.  It appears that I can go with a slightly larger one piece metal bumper guard or with smaller bumperettes that require a rubber filler on each side?  Was this an option as to which these cars came with or did one model say Cudas come with one style and Barracudas or Grand Coupes come with the other?  I'm leaning to the simpler one piece units like AMD sells, but if there's one that's better or more correct for a Barracuda that might matter. And as far as I can tell the rear valence works with both.

Thanks in advance, Jim
1970 383 Roadrunner Tor Red
1973 318 Barracuda Mist Green
2014 Mustang GT/CS Convertible All Black

Offline Jamiez

• Retro
Re: AMD 70-72 Barracuda Bumper Guards vs. Bumperettes?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012 - 09:27:11 PM »
Earlier years had smaller rubber inserts available as option M85 I believe.  I am not sure if any of the packages came standard with the option or not.

Offline Road_Runner

• Mopar Owner & Standard Bearer Since 1974
Re: AMD 70-72 Barracuda Bumper Guards vs. Bumperettes?
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012 - 01:09:19 PM »
Earlier years had smaller rubber inserts available as option M85 I believe.  I am not sure if any of the packages came standard with the option or not.

I've seen the ones with rubber strips on the 'front' of the guards, I was mainly talking about the bumperettes that come with a rubber filler that fits between the guard and the valance panel acting I guess as a sort of filler.  I've looked around and even asked some of the people selling them, but no one seems to know the story, why there's two types, etc.

Thanks, Jim
1970 383 Roadrunner Tor Red
1973 318 Barracuda Mist Green
2014 Mustang GT/CS Convertible All Black