Author Topic: SPY PHOTO - 1970 PLYMOUTH 4 DOOR CUDA!!  (Read 110265 times)

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
  • I'm Alan G...I'm a Mopar Addict
    • Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration
Re: SPY PHOTO - 1970 PLYMOUTH 4 DOOR CUDA!!
« Reply #105 on: January 09, 2013 - 06:04:53 PM »
Well that makes more sense  :pullinghair: I was actually talking with my metal guy, Keith Sim about this car today...Not being a computer guy, he had a hard time invisioning it....Once you post more pictures, I'll have to get him over here to show him on my computer.
Did you use a "one piece" rear frame/floor section available from Dynacore ? Would have sped up the rear half too...
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !
www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com

Offline tuff340GranCoupe

« Reply #106 on: January 13, 2013 - 11:51:24 AM »
Not my choice of a car, but hey, building is what makes this hobby cool & real. Door panels will be interesting as well as rear arm rests & ash trays. What would rule is a e-body bench seat (I have a rough one in my garage I would sell to someone & its rough, but there) & a standard dash & either a AM or AM/FM radio. Use bare bones hub caps & I have a sugestion: Paint the tail panel argent like a Gran Coupe & use NO chrome tail surround or trunk lip moulding!

We all seen clones in the past & they will not go away, but everyone does like them, don't get me wrong. I always wanted to make a clone again, but I had a Gran Coupe as my 1st ride & I made it look like a Cuda & added whatever I could to make it like a Cuda but retained the Gran Coupe name. I personally want to make a 70 Challenger SE into a 70 Challenger T/A SE! Now, who has ever though to that one? can you see it? Vinyl top with SE badges, stainless on the top of the doors, quarters & back of the hood? Argent trim panel on the tailpanel? Leather style interior & a overhead console? SE door panels? Gray grille?? Luggage rack instead of the spoiler! You have to admit now you have read this you can just see it right? I have seen (& I have a fender tag picture) of a AAR with the leather interior & this has an overhead console in it. I never seen a T/A with an overhead console in it originally, does one exist?

I have never thought of what these cars would be like as 4-door Cuda or Challenger. Its looks great & i like the progress. The 71 GTX conv. was different, but how about this one people: a 1971 Coronet 2-door?? !! Use Charger doors & put on a 71 RR rear bumper! Hows that one?? I let that idea go & how about this one now as well? a 70 Charger 500 SE with door blisters that have '500' in them???!! AAR Cuda convertible clones & T/A convertible clones are cool as well, but those have been done! I think there is a 71 Coronet WAGON in the Milwaukee area that blue has a 383 in it with a 4-speed pistol-grip (1 of 3?) Thats way cool, but I have not seen it or heard about for a long time. I always thought that the center of the 69 Charger grille & the 72-74 Cuda grille look alike, and the 70 Cuda grille & a 69 Polara grille share some small similarities but don't they all? Even my 89 Plymouth Voyager van remined me of something on the grille: The name 'Plymouth' on the grille has a small piece about 1-1/2" long to the right of the Plymouth emblem, just like the 'red line' on the 70 Cuda grille has a smaller 'red-line' moulding to the right of the emblem. (what are you doing, setting your drink down to go run out to your old van & see that?)

Now after all of that, just what are you guys doing to do for outside door handles for the REAR doors, since there is no lock cylinder in rear doors?  :clueless:

« Last Edit: January 13, 2013 - 12:11:26 PM by tuff340GranCoupe »

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #107 on: January 13, 2013 - 05:09:41 PM »
We will convert the internal mechanisms to accept the same style (stock) handles that are used for the front doors.

That's the easy way out.... I think the question was asked because it's pretty much standard in the automotive industry that only the front doors got locks, the rear doors didn't get the key cylinders.

If I were you, which I'm not,  :rofl: I would have custom door handles milled from a solid block of aluminum, omitting the key hole, then plated to match the front handles. It's little details like that, that would push the car over the top...in my opinion  :2cents:
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !

Offline tuff340GranCoupe

« Reply #108 on: January 13, 2013 - 05:17:45 PM »
ECS: Do you want a E-Body bench seat for this project? I have a rough one, its out of a 70 Cuda. Its needs complete restoration & some springs replaced. If you want, I'll donate it to your project  :cooldancing: , just that you would have to cover shipping

Offline tuff340GranCoupe

« Reply #109 on: January 13, 2013 - 05:28:39 PM »
No problem. Its juts out in my garage taking up space, so if anyone needs one or is looking for one, get in touch with me

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #110 on: January 13, 2013 - 05:59:56 PM »
I know it's a different venue....but when building a "custom" car....The more "over-the-counter" parts used, is just taking the easy way out. Haven't you ever seen Jessi James describe the work that the Tuttle's do...."They just grab a frame off the shelf, a set of forks from another guy....I build my own !" Same with custom cars...The more one-off parts made for that specific vehicle, the better.

Now granted, you're not building a total "custom" car, you're trying to re-create a one-off concept so I guess Chrysler might have probably just pulled existing parts off the shelf too....The easy way out....

I never understood football....Like my Mom always said....If they would just give everybody a ball there would be no reason to fight over it  :dunno:

Offline tuff340GranCoupe

« Reply #111 on: January 13, 2013 - 08:33:06 PM »
making a correct looking door handle would take too much time & funds of course. Pluging the lock cylinder sounds good. Are you guys going to put a 'light group' (A01) on this ride? Either way, everyone like the fender top mounted turn lights!

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #112 on: January 13, 2013 - 08:37:26 PM »
Just out of curiosity Alan, why do you outsource all of your work if everything is so easy? 

'cause I'm not half the man you are Dave, you and your team that is.... :worshippy

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #113 on: January 13, 2013 - 09:23:44 PM »
Yea you're right Dave :worshippy

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #114 on: January 13, 2013 - 09:47:11 PM »
I really don't think coming up with a unique idea regarding the rear door handles is really getting into your personal business affairs, but I can see that you're bothered by it, so I will stop while you're ahead.  :worshippy

No further need to belittle me or put my business practises down on a public forum. I concede, you're right I'm wrong. I will continue to follow this project because it intrigues me, but I will keep my suggestions and ideas to a minimum. :cheers:

Offline go-fish

• Resident
« Reply #115 on: January 13, 2013 - 10:17:07 PM »
We are also not using non-related conceptual logic of motorcycles (or other differing subject matter) that has absolutely no connection with the profile or scope of this project.

Motorcycles? Did I miss something?

Offline resq302

« Reply #116 on: January 13, 2013 - 11:26:53 PM »
If you go back and reference anlautos posts you will see the instigating comments that were made.  Below is the logic that he used to convey how I needed to add a "custom" twist to the 4 Door Cuda project.  We apparently are doing it all wrong:

"Haven't you ever seen Jessi James describe the work that the Tuttle's do...."They just grab a frame off the shelf, a set of forks from another guy....I build my own !" Same with custom cars...The more one-off parts made for that specific vehicle, the better."

Here are a couple other "kind" comments that were made about the project:

".......I think the concept is seriously flawed IN MY OPINION."

"My first thought would be "What a goof ball car, sorta like a 71 GTX convertible. I would laugh at it.... "

Even the Teutel's saw as a business that it was more cost effective for them to have their frames made by someone else to free up time for building the other parts.  Its just common sense and good business practice. 

I agree with your thinking about how Chrysler would have done it.  I highly doubt they would have made a ton of custom parts for something that could not even guarantee it would make it to production lines. 

Offline resq302

« Reply #117 on: January 14, 2013 - 12:29:10 AM »
It has nothing to do with correct "thinking" Brian.  If you know anything about my past with my good friend Alan, you would know that he constantly took the contrary position that I stood for.  If I said black, he said white.  How someone can initiate the rude insults and then act as if THEY are the victim is mind boggling.  :clueless:  If you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen! :faint:   

As I said earlier, this concept is not based on personal opinion as it relates to the overall project.  Besides engineering and developing a concept vehicle, there are many things that this project will be a preclude to regarding new products.  I will have some more photos to post this week.  We are coming close to finally assembling this 4 door oddity. It should be exciting to see the sections come together.  Stay tuned.

Exciting indeed!  I can't wait to see it! :2thumbs:

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #118 on: January 14, 2013 - 06:49:31 AM »
Heaven forbid that MY OPINIONS are not the same as yours Dave.  :smilielol:

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #119 on: January 14, 2013 - 09:46:15 AM »
Iseem to recall somewhere much earlier in this thread the statement was made that this was not a concept car so much as a feasability study. In OEM terms, the two are entirely differnet approaches. A concept was way out there, pushing the margins with creativity whereas a feasability study took existing ocmponents and melded them into a nearly production ready car. In light of that, this car should be built using as many OEM parts bin components as possible.

Additionally,  back in the late sixties, a concept car did not mean that they factory would machine a large number of complex pieces on a mill. Sure it was possible, but until the advent of CNC machine centers, was not practical and was not widely seen until around the 1990s. To start throwing a bunch of machined billet parts at this car would not be consistent with its intended result.