Author Topic: SPY PHOTO - 1970 PLYMOUTH 4 DOOR CUDA!!  (Read 110320 times)

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
Re: SPY PHOTO - 1970 PLYMOUTH 4 DOOR CUDA!!
« Reply #210 on: December 14, 2013 - 06:14:28 PM »
The reason i came out with a Hemi is because the test Hemicinvertible back in 1970 was the Red on Red convertible and it had a Red Shaker too, i figured that this car is based on the same time frame with the build as the test car from the magazines and it would make sense to do it this way, at least to me anyway. :wave:
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.

Offline 06Daytona

« Reply #211 on: December 14, 2013 - 07:44:17 PM »
I think there's only one way to make everybody happy. Build another 4 door Cuda. Have one with a 318 or 383 2bbl, flat hood, less popular paint color, non rally gauges, bench seat, column shift, dog dishes, etc etc and a 440 6bbl Cuda in a high impact color with a shaker, billboards, elastomeric bumpers and all the other goodies.
1972 Cuda 340 4 barrel 4 speed that looks like a 71
2006 Dodge Charger R/T Daytona
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel 4X4
2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser Convertible (Kidmobile)
1972 Dodge Charger 318 auto
1970 Challenger 440/727 auto
1973 Plymouth Duster 340/auto (Making it Panther Pink for the wife)
2006 Honda Civic Hybrid (It doesn't save gas, it just diverts it to the Cuda/Challenger)
In desperate need of more property for my growing Mopar family

Offline johannes

« Reply #212 on: December 15, 2013 - 07:11:45 AM »
I hope one day you'll take the time to make a video shoving the building process, and post in on youtube....
With reference to the 4d HT sketch....it looked like the rear windows would crank all the way down...

Will you be able to crank the rear window all the way down?...

Offline E-Body Products

• E-Body Products
  • American Jobs Are Our Children's Future!
    • E-BODY PRODUCTS
« Reply #213 on: December 15, 2013 - 08:56:38 AM »
Looks like a popo car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline johns cuda shop

• 71 Cuda Pro-Touring Build
  • Machinist and Fabricator
    • Custom Machine Components
« Reply #214 on: December 16, 2013 - 07:28:20 AM »
There is no doubt that the car will be a hit at SEMA.. Looking great guys  :2thumbs:
71 Cuda Gen III Aluminum 426 Hemi T56 6 speed 4.10 8.75 Modified & Lowered RMS coilover suspension Wilwood discs

Offline resq302

« Reply #215 on: December 16, 2013 - 08:20:02 AM »
Dave, you mean the rumors aren't true that you have a tree that grows money?  :smilielol:

Offline resq302

« Reply #216 on: December 18, 2013 - 11:14:18 PM »
Just like everything else you do, right Dave?   :smilielol:

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
  • I'm Alan G...I'm a Mopar Addict
    • Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration
« Reply #217 on: December 19, 2013 - 09:55:50 PM »
I wonder if adding a vinyl roof would attract or detract your eye to the awkwardness of the roof and glass issues ?  :clueless: I'm thinking all body colour may be the way to go. :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !
www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com

Offline drewcrane

« Reply #218 on: December 20, 2013 - 08:00:02 AM »
I love this thread, keep it up I want to see the finished product......hurry hurry :bigsmile:

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #219 on: December 20, 2013 - 08:50:09 AM »
I thought I read somewhere in this thread that someone thought the roof had been raised.

I know it's only a visual thing because now the top edge of the windshield, and I assume the back glass, is at a lower visual point then the side glass. 99% of all factory cars have the top of all glass at an equal visual level.

I understand fully how the original 4dr roof panel was sectioned and drawn down to meet the new E Body windshield along the top edge, but that leaves the height difference more evident when viewing from the front/side angle, giving the car sort of a "raised roof look" like an old ambulance or limo. Having added the fact that the 4dr door glass is on more of an upright angle then E Body side glass doesn't help the matter any.

Because of the method you chose to build this car, using existing factory parts to emulate what Chrysler may have done back in the day, you have to work with these visual issues and try and pick colours and options that will help the appearance not hinder it.

Picture a red car with a black vinyl top.....The only body colour above the belt line will be the big bulky bright red side door window frames quickly drawing your attention towards them.

That's why I asked what others thought about the idea of a vinyl roof, will it help or hinder ?
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #220 on: December 20, 2013 - 11:38:45 AM »
What you're saying is that you cut all 4 door window frames as well as the "B" pillar, and sectioned out 1" in the over all height of the doors and "B" pillar? How else could you adjust the travel in the side glass to accommodate the lowering of the roof ? :clueless: Getting the angles right on the door window frames would be a huge undertaking. :2cents:

Sorry but I must have missed those photos. Can you please post them again showing the changes in the overall height of the "B" pillar.

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #221 on: December 20, 2013 - 11:47:25 AM »
This picture, although early on in the project, clearly shows the height difference in the stock 4dr windshield vs the newly installed E Body windshield.

Are you saying that you cut the "A" pillars, the "B" and "C" pillars as well as all for door window frames to lower the roof 1" or so, to match the E Body windshield ?

If so do you have current pictures showing what it looks like how after that extensive amount of metal fabrication ?

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #222 on: December 20, 2013 - 11:53:43 AM »
To help clarify an earlier statement, the photo below was what we basically started with.  In that picture, Steve had already removed the stock the B Body wind shield opening and replaced it with an E Body section.  We have worked the metal from the top down.  There was not too much leeway in altering the roof line because the doors and side glass had to remain the same dimensions.  We were only able to adjust the roof about one inch in order to keep those components the same. 

Okay....So have things changed since January ? Now I'm confused ? This photo shows how the top edge of the E Body windshield is lower then the top edge of the side glass therefore making the illusion of a raised roof.

My only question was will a vinyl roof help hide that or accentuate it ?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013 - 11:56:27 AM by anlauto »

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #223 on: December 20, 2013 - 12:57:15 PM »
Here is what you said last January.  It appears that you are now debating your own observations.  :smilielol:

How do you figure ? I'm saying the exact same thing over again.
The height of the top edge of the E Body windshield is not in the same location in relation to the side glass as it would be on a 2dr as it is on your 4dr, therefore causing the illusion of a raised roof on your 4dr.

I realize this can't be remedied easily, that's why I was asking about the addition of a vinyl top.

Offline Steve Been

« Reply #224 on: December 20, 2013 - 01:16:18 PM »
The glass it self lines up with windshield it's the frame that's higher so we will trim black the upper frame and black vinyl roof. And I realy don't see limo look at all here.