Author Topic: SPY PHOTO - 1970 PLYMOUTH 4 DOOR CUDA!!  (Read 110321 times)

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
  • I'm Alan G...I'm a Mopar Addict
    • Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration
Re: SPY PHOTO - 1970 PLYMOUTH 4 DOOR CUDA!!
« Reply #225 on: December 20, 2013 - 02:42:54 PM »
Well I'll admit I'm have a hard time articulating my thoughts....
But this is my last attempt....

Here's a picture of a 1970 Cuda I found on the Internet. It shows how much "roof" is seen from that angle.  Now if you took a flat bar and ran it across the roof at it's center point from driver's side to passenger's side....Then measured the "visual" difference between that bar and the upper stainless trim of the windshield you will most likely get a greater number on your 4dr car. Also, if the 4dr car had drip rail moldings (a must for a vinyl roof car) those moldings would appear higher then the top of the windshield moldings.

I'm not critiquing the craftsmanship in the work done, I'm simply pointing out that the method of construction you've chosen has resulted in a raised roof appearance....I'm sure Chrysler would have had the same results using the same available assembly line parts. :2cents: It's unavoidable.

Critics would argue the car should be a 4dr hardtop, not a 4dr coupe in the first place, but obviously that would be more costly developing new "one off" side glass. :2cents:

P.S.
Oh can you double check my spelling on my last few posts....my Google toolbar thing isn't working again today. :worshippy
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013 - 02:55:21 PM by anlauto »
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !
www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #226 on: December 20, 2013 - 02:47:00 PM »
The glass it self lines up with windshield it's the frame that's higher so we will trim black the upper frame and black vinyl roof. And I realy don't see limo look at all here.

Well I think if the door window frames are blacked out, it would certainly look better with the vinyl roof, but wouldn't follow any techniques used by the factory during that time period. :2cents:

I can imagine how awkward red frames will look with a black roof, that's why I started asking about adding a vinyl top or not. :2cents:
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #227 on: December 20, 2013 - 02:58:58 PM »
I can't wait to see the finished product. :thumbsup:

Offline resq302

« Reply #228 on: December 20, 2013 - 05:03:39 PM »
To be honest, wouldn't a 4 door have slightly different body lines / shape than what a 2 door would?  For example, the convertible has different stuff than what a hard top would because it is a different body style.  Perfect example was our 70 el camino that we had.  It was based off of the Chevelle wagon yet used different doors, etc.  Again, now taking a 4 door and making it into a 2 door with a bed.  Yet, the floor pans on the el camino were the same as what the chevelle wagon was as they used a metal plate in the front part of the bed to cover up the "rear" floor pan for the wagon part of it.  That box was known as a smugglers box as the only thing that held that together was 4 bolts which could easily be removed.

Again, even though the car is similar, it is a totally different car.

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #229 on: December 20, 2013 - 06:32:12 PM »
Looking at a 4dr B-body the side is also higher than the front windshield-

Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #230 on: December 20, 2013 - 06:56:00 PM »
Thanks, those two above pictures prove exactly what I was talking about. :worshippy Finally.

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #231 on: December 20, 2013 - 07:39:47 PM »
Well maybe it's a problem with my monitor here at home, because the last picture you posted shows clearly that the stainless top trim of the windshield will end up lower then the top of the side glass window frame where in the picture posted by torredcuda shows them as level on a factory 4dr. Any any drip rail molding will be quite a bit higher then the windshield trim.

As I said this visual issue was totally unavoidable with the choice that you and the Chrysler engineers(in 1969) made when you decided to use factory parts to make a "non-factory" car.

Is the 5" section of "filler" panel (with yellow paint on it) welded to the area of the original 4dr windshield. or well past it?

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #232 on: December 20, 2013 - 09:45:30 PM »
My point was about the addition of a vinyl roof and whether or not it will help with the appearance of the over all project.

You're the one always objecting to any outside observations.  :dunno:

There is no "right" or "wrong" with this type of project and never have I said there was. :cheers:

Offline resq302

« Reply #233 on: December 20, 2013 - 10:01:02 PM »
My point was about the addition of a vinyl roof and whether or not it will help with the appearance of the over all project.

You're the one always objecting to any outside observations.  :dunno:

There is no "right" or "wrong" with this type of project and never have I said there was. :cheers:

Looking at the 4 door B body, it seems like the windshield IS lower than the side windows and trim.  Granted, it is not by much, but it does appear to be very similar to what Dave and Steve are building.  Who knows, maybe it is my monitor!   :smilielol:  Keep in mind, there is also no trim or glass in the shell that Dave is building which could also be making things appear differently.

Honestly, I think they are doing a fantastic job keeping the idea of what Chrysler would have done.  I highly doubt that they (Chrysler) would have invested all kinds of money for something that they could have used production parts for and modified them to fit accordingly vs. making a completely new part only to find it would not be cost effective in the long run.

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #234 on: December 20, 2013 - 10:37:19 PM »
WoW you're certainly running on all cylinders tonight... :clapping:

Thanks to you, your pictures provided excellent proof to support my position that the windshield is lower then the side glass and it gives the visual affect of a "raised roof", whether it's "a little" or a lot, doesn't really matter.

I was just wondering if a vinyl roof would help or hinder hiding that fact.

IN MY OPINION, This project was flawed at the beginning when you made the decision to make a 4dr Cuda rather than a Barracuda....You've since changed your mind I believe. Didn't you ? :cheers:

Good Night. :drunk:

Offline resq302

« Reply #235 on: December 21, 2013 - 12:16:03 AM »
Dave,

As I said before.  You still can't compare a 2 door barracuda to a 4 door barracuda.  They are two different body styles.  Just like comparing my first car, a 1982 Datsun / Nissan 280 ZX.  I had the 2 seater turbo version and they also made a version called a 2+2.  Meaning it had 2 extra seats in it (rear seat).  What they did was stretch out the car by about maybe 8 inches or so which extended the roof line and body rear wards.  It gave it an extra body line as it had changed the angle of the roof.  The doors were a tad big longer from what I remember compared to the standard  2 seater car.  T tops were a little longer, etc.  Yet, it retained the same hood, fenders, etc.

Datsun  280ZX 2+2 version

http://worldcarslist.com/images/datsun/datsun-280-zx-22/datsun-280-zx-22-01.jpg

Datsun 280 ZX standard 2 seater version

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/57/79-83_Datsun_280ZX_front.jpg

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #236 on: December 21, 2013 - 10:34:36 AM »
Wow, we are up to 22 pages, yet I think you could easily take 7 to 8 pages out, possibbly more, for the bickering about the concept.

Would I every build one of these, no. Would I go look at it at a show, absolutley! I can only look at so many restored to stock E bodies before I get bored with the whole effort. Something that sticks out as different will have me looking it over.

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #237 on: December 21, 2013 - 10:49:22 AM »
Exactly why I locked my Pace Car build thread during the build. I didn't want 50 pages of "comments" posts mixed in, when I linked the page to show others my car. I just wanted to show my build, my text, my thread.   
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #238 on: December 21, 2013 - 04:53:45 PM »
I wonder if adding a vinyl roof would attract or detract your eye to the awkwardness of the roof and glass issues ?  :clueless: I'm thinking all body colour may be the way to go. :dunno:

Actually all I was asking is if a vinyl roof would make a positive or negative addition...

You're the one with your panties in a knot for the last two days...or at least you're the only one lowering yourself to name calling :cheers:

Offline drewcrane

« Reply #239 on: December 21, 2013 - 05:10:39 PM »
Wow, we are up to 22 pages, yet I think you could easily take 7 to 8 pages out, possibbly more, for the bickering about the concept.

Would I every build one of these, no. Would I go look at it at a show, absolutley! I can only look at so many restored to stock E bodies before I get bored with the whole effort. Something that sticks out as different will have me looking it over.

Yea agreed, I hope this ends up well and we get to see the end result,

I would love to  see it, ride in it let ,alone drive it ,  ;)