Author Topic: SPY PHOTO - 1970 PLYMOUTH 4 DOOR CUDA!!  (Read 110328 times)

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
  • I'm Alan G...I'm a Mopar Addict
    • Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration
Re: SPY PHOTO - 1970 PLYMOUTH 4 DOOR CUDA!!
« Reply #255 on: December 31, 2013 - 04:48:12 PM »
Thus far, you have given nothing more than your opinion about the design.   

FINALLY...you get it !  :cheers:

:clapping: HAPPY NEW YEAR  :clapping:
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !
www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #256 on: December 31, 2013 - 04:56:32 PM »
Back to name calling ?  :nono:

'No detail goes un-noticed, because it's the little things that count.."   Actually makes no mention of being 100% OE correct, but I'm guessing you noticed that. :cheers:

I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !

Offline resq302

« Reply #257 on: December 31, 2013 - 05:44:46 PM »
Back to name calling ?  :nono:

'No detail goes un-noticed, because it's the little things that count.."   Actually makes no mention of being 100% OE correct, but I'm guessing you noticed that. :cheers:

So Alan,  what does correctly mean and how am I name calling?  At what percent does something become "correct"?  It is either correct or its not.  You yourself said in a previous reply to go to your web site.  Well, throughout your web site, you refer to stuff as "correctly detailed".  That seems to be a consistent theme.  What is factory correct and detailed mean?  Taken directly from your web site:

Pedal restoration - "Completely disassembled, chemically stripped, painted, re-greased and detail like new. Never rust again".    Detailed like new as in factory or like new as in freshly cleaned / repainted.  If so, what % correct?   :smilielol:

Transmission detailing - "Professionally rebuilt by a local shop. Completely stripped and detailed with factory markings re-applied."  Again, factory marks being replaced with what was there on that individual part or a "general" typical inspection mark being put where one COULD have been.  If you are putting something that wasn't there on it because that was the general norm back then, to me that wouldn't be 100% correct.

Engine detailing- "Engines can be built by the engine builder of your choice or have a standard rebuild by myself. All motors are detailed correctly, or modified to your choice."  - Again, to what % correctness is it being detailed?  Its either correct or its not correct / modified.

Steering linkage - "Dismantled, chemically stripped, repainted, reassembled with new MOOG parts, greased and correctly detailed.
"
   Again, correctly detailed.  I would assume that correctly detailed is 100%.  If not 100% it is not correct.

E-brake / gas pedals - "Dismantled, chemically stripped, repainted, regreased and correctly detailed.
"
   Same thing as above.

And yet, here is your final words on the Accessory section - Just about  anything can be restored to new condition, Inside and out.
No detail goes un-noticed, because it's the little things that count.
  If no detail goes un-noticed, then it would be 100%, not part credit.

Someone had once told me that a woman is either a virgin or she isn't.  There is nothing that can be "close" or a "percentage" of a virgin unless we are talking about the singer Madonna and her song!    :roflsmiley:

Offline mrbill426

• All Around Mopars
« Reply #258 on: January 01, 2014 - 12:08:47 AM »
Looking forward to the finished product   :)

Hopefully we have fixed the "chop top" appearance that we originally had with this concept car.  We were able to raise the roof enough to give it that "pope mobile" look.  Here is a picture of the new & improved roof line.  What do you think?  A few inches higher maybe?

OLD LOWERED ROOF   

NEW & IMPROVED RAISED ROOF
MOPAR or NO car!

'72 'Cuda 340, white on white
'72 Sebring; bracket project
'64 Imperial Crown black on black
'66 Imperial Crown; parts car

Offline 440Dave

« Reply #259 on: January 03, 2014 - 08:40:05 PM »
  After reading the ridiculous comments about the car having a "limo" look, I thought we would give the nit picker something to REALLY complain about.     

Dave, You and Steve are really making progress! I'm just getting around to reading this thread and after seeing the car in person today all I can say is WOW!  I don't get the "limo look" comment (where in the world did that come from?!?); however, I can say "COP CAR LOOK"!  The first thing I thought of when I saw it today was this would be a fantastic Police Pursuit Vehicle.  Skip the chauffeur uniform , go for the badge.  Paint it black and white - bubble gum machine on the roof, spots, dog dishes, whip antenna...  Dave
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014 - 08:45:03 PM by 440Dave »

Offline DodgeMaterial

• DodgeMaterial - JS29U0B & WS23V0A - St Louis, MO
« Reply #260 on: January 04, 2014 - 08:20:46 PM »
Hi Dave - sorry, I had messed up my log-in and created a temp account.  Your comments on the door fabrication are understated... the craftsmanship and modifications to make this go together are mind-boggling! The fact that the belt line has to be changed, the windshield opening (every dimension) has to be modified (to accept an E-Body Dash/windshield), the interior pieces needing to be modified, etc... is hard to fathom.   This is quite the project, and we are looking forward to seeing more pictures.  Dave
DodgeMaterial - Dave
- JS29U0B-FK5
- WS23V0A-EB5

Offline larry4406

« Reply #261 on: January 05, 2014 - 12:00:17 PM »
Really cool project.

Regarding the custom interior you will be making, how about taking the opportunity to reproduce the wood inserts to the interior panels, and then having these available as reproductions?  Or perhaps polished metal or painted inserts?

Offline YYZ

« Reply #262 on: January 06, 2014 - 09:49:05 AM »
With respect to the rear interior door panels, FWIW, Chrysler has used fiberglass in the past to fashion those panels, even if the fronts were injection molded as the E-bodies were.

Specifically on the '73-'85 Crew Cab trucks and perhaps others.

This approach may provide you with more options to capture the character & lines of the original Barracuda panels for the rear doors and would be consistent with past practices of Ma Mopar.

As to the interior, may I suggest something based on the houndstooth check available on '70 Barracudas (that came with the red piping on the door panels).  Alternatively, if a more austere look is preferred, then perhaps big swaths of the standard vinyl insert material (Ranger grain?) applied as it would be in a '70 Belvedere taxi or 'Runner.

Offline resq302

« Reply #263 on: January 14, 2014 - 07:23:57 PM »
Wow,

Thats a whole lotta work in itself right there!  Looking good though!

Offline tuff340GranCoupe

« Reply #264 on: January 15, 2014 - 07:13:24 PM »
I wanna see you guys driving around the Mopar Nationals swap meet & show & other Mopar events with this ride when its done. For those who don't even know you're building this car will certainly make everyone look not only twice, but at least '4' times!  :bigsmile:  Excellent job so far. I like it.  :clapping:

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #265 on: January 15, 2014 - 09:10:20 PM »
One of the best threads ever.  Can't wait to see it all done!   :2thumbs:
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

Offline TUFCAT

« Reply #266 on: March 13, 2014 - 06:50:55 PM »
For those interested in following this train wreck, here's a link to a thread on the dodgecharger site:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,98383.0.html

:wow:
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014 - 03:30:55 PM by TUFCAT »

Offline TUFCAT

« Reply #267 on: March 18, 2014 - 09:07:03 PM »
Well, now there's two locked threads on this subject...

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109192.0.html

:chatting:

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #268 on: March 18, 2014 - 09:45:20 PM »
Well, I believe it was ECS that stated he was "invited to share is 4dr project" on two other Mopar web sites.

I guess if the threads are getting locked it's only because he exhibits the same behavior on those web sites as he's done in the past on this site and others. It's unfortunate. :sadwavey:

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #269 on: March 19, 2014 - 09:42:38 AM »
IMO, it's unfortunate the threads go the way of getting locked.  There's no doubt that he has great skills and is getting the job done.  It would have been interesting to have seen the finished product, regardless of the debate of if or if it didn't ever exist. 

Part of this hobby is seeing other peoples creativity.  Creativity entails personal preference.  Person preference entails that some people may not like what one does.  (Am I beginning to sound like Yoda?  :clueless:)  Would have been nice to see the finished product of his personal expression.  It may not be for everyone but would have been cool to see.  :2cents:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger