Author Topic: SPY PHOTO - 1970 PLYMOUTH 4 DOOR CUDA!!  (Read 110367 times)

Offline JayBee

• Resident
Re: SPY PHOTO - 1970 PLYMOUTH 4 DOOR CUDA!!
« Reply #300 on: March 24, 2014 - 09:52:34 AM »
  :iagree:  x2
John

1970 Barracuda convertible
2014 Toyota Avalon

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
  • I'm Alan G...I'm a Mopar Addict
    • Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration
« Reply #301 on: March 24, 2014 - 10:46:54 AM »
 :iagree: X 3...Oops...
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !
www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #302 on: March 24, 2014 - 10:48:46 AM »
 :iagree:

I love the challenge and the craftmanship...and I`d love to see how the goofy roofline is taken care of.
*** Bart ***

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #303 on: March 24, 2014 - 11:09:03 AM »
:iagree:

I love the challenge and the craftmanship...and I`d love to see how the goofy roofline is taken care of.

:smilielol: Here we go again...

I got called every name in the book including being an instigator when I asked if a vinyl roof will "help" or "hinder" the appearance of the awkward roof line. Of course the car is going to have an awkward looking roof...It's a 4DOOR SEDAN Cuda for heaven's sakes... :screwy:
I don't think you'll see finished photos of the car posted here, but I'm sure they will be found all over the internet when it's done. :cheers:
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !

Offline TUFCAT

« Reply #304 on: March 24, 2014 - 02:26:15 PM »

I got called every name in the book including being an instigator when I asked if a vinyl roof will "help" or "hinder" the appearance of the awkward roof line. Of course the car is going to have an awkward looking roof...It's a 4DOOR SEDAN Cuda for heaven's sakes... :screwy:
I don't think you'll see finished photos of the car posted here, but I'm sure they will be found all over the internet when it's done. :cheers:

At risk  of sounding like a basher, before this thread got off track as some would say, ECS invited others to provide thoughts, ideas, and suggestions on the project in order to tweak and re-evaluate the design. So I agree with Alan on this.

Without a doubt the challenge to construct a vehicle with (for lack of an less offending word) "jig-saw" parts and panels is extremely difficult. An extreme amount of credit goes to the metal fabrication guy to make the doors and roof fit together.

Removing B Body sheet metal sections and welding E Body panels back into their place leaves the car looking akward  from the side view - - in my opinion.
With regard to reconstructive measures, I don't know if there was any leeway in altering the roof line because the B-body doors and side glass appear to have the same dimensions as the 4-door donor. I'm also not sure if the B-pillars and door frames were altered in some way to keep things matching and closing properly?  If so it doesn't appear to be much.  It must have been a real challenge especially considering the side glass which was used from the 4-door.

Looking at the photos it doesn't appear that the B-pillars or door frames were drastically altered or ("chopped" as some would say).   With the scope and profile of this project it seems this could have feasible to correct the 4-door sedan roof line view of the side profile.

They nailed it on the rear window. That's definitely 'Cuda. 

The side profile. Not so much.  I suppose this is the best case scenario given the extreme unreal metal working talents shown by Steve Bean the fabricator.

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #305 on: March 24, 2014 - 03:57:22 PM »
I agree....The confusing thing for me comes into light looking at the driver's sideview of the car shown above.
It clearly shows an area above the Cuda windshield frame (appears to have yellow paint on it) that extends into what would be the original 4dr windshield resting area. It's obvious that a Cuda windshield is not as tall as an original 4dr windshield, and that this filler would have been necessary. They channeled the original roof down to join to the Cuda roof, but this still left an "awkward" looking roof line IN MY OPINION.

The car will no doubt turn heads when it's done, and it's unfortunate I will never get a chance to see it other then in magazines and on line.

Offline resq302

« Reply #306 on: March 24, 2014 - 04:42:15 PM »
I agree....The confusing thing for me comes into light looking at the driver's sideview of the car shown above.
It clearly shows an area above the Cuda windshield frame (appears to have yellow paint on it) that extends into what would be the original 4dr windshield resting area. It's obvious that a Cuda windshield is not as tall as an original 4dr windshield, and that this filler would have been necessary. They channeled the original roof down to join to the Cuda roof, but this still left an "awkward" looking roof line IN MY OPINION.

The car will no doubt turn heads when it's done, and it's unfortunate I will never get a chance to see it other then in magazines and on line.

Alan,

Why would Chrysler specially make ONE windshield for a concept car.  Wouldn't it have been cost effective to use something they already had such as the standard windshield?  I have yet to see a concept car be the exact vehicle that becomes a production car.  Typically, they seem to make final revisions and I would imagine that if this had gotten the green light, a different windshield would more than likely have been used or different sheet metal or the roof lowered somehow.  Thats the great thing about a "concept", its not a final production.

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #307 on: March 24, 2014 - 04:48:54 PM »
Well resq302,
I've re-read my post and I don't see anywhere where I made a suggestion that Chrysler would have made a ONE  off windshield ? :dunno:

Offline resq302

« Reply #308 on: March 24, 2014 - 05:35:38 PM »
Well resq302,
I've re-read my post and I don't see anywhere where I made a suggestion that Chrysler would have made a ONE  off windshield ? :dunno:

Alan, you never "suggested" that but the comment about it being a 4 door windshield "It's obvious that a Cuda windshield is not as tall as an original 4dr windshield," was referring to the windshield not being the adequate size.  IF that was the case, wouldn't Chrysler have needed something else or to do what they did?  The only other option would have been to come up with a unique windshield which would have been far from cost effective.

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #309 on: March 24, 2014 - 05:47:16 PM »
I never had a "question" about the roof line.
I had an opinion, and still do. The roof line looks awkward, your photos proved it time and time again. :2cents:

Offline resq302

« Reply #310 on: March 24, 2014 - 05:52:00 PM »

I never had a "question" about the roof line.
I had an opinion, and still do. The roof line looks awkward, your photos proved it time and time again. :2cents:

Alan,

Apparently Dave did explain back on page 15 along with Steve Been in reguards to your "opinion".  The roof line might look awkward, it might not.  Having that extra piece of metal in there a different color certainly detracts from the car.  I'm certain it will look hardly noticeable when it is complete.  Heck, the whole car will most likely look different once paint is applied to it.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014 - 08:12:15 AM by Oldschool »

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #311 on: March 24, 2014 - 06:00:17 PM »
It's unfortunate to see some things haven't changed :nono:

Offline resq302

« Reply #312 on: March 24, 2014 - 06:04:46 PM »
It's unfortunate to see some things haven't changed :nono:

Judging by the above comment, I'd say they never did digress from what it once was.  If it did, it was briefly changed.

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #313 on: March 24, 2014 - 06:11:35 PM »
Well I stand by my opinions.
Maybe you should ask a moderator to remove this thread entirely if you're not open to others opinions ?

Offline resq302

« Reply #314 on: March 24, 2014 - 06:23:59 PM »
Well I stand by my opinions.
Maybe you should ask a moderator to remove this thread entirely if you're not open to others opinions ?

Well, you know what they say about opinions, Alan?   :roflsmiley:  I'm open to peoples opinions, however, when ones "opinion" becomes outright lies or imply something else with an underlying meaning, that is where I draw the line also.