Author Topic: '71 v-code Challenger R/T resto... a lot today - 9/21  (Read 13328 times)

Offline YYZ

Re: '71 v-code Challenger R/T resto... Continued questions.. 7/21
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2013 - 07:17:02 PM »
For window spacers, there are 3 thicknesses: 

For the doors, the same spacers are used for 'Cuda & Challenger, but IIRC they are the thinnest ones.  I would go with Alan's comments as he's reassembled a car more recently than me.

For the rears, 'Cudas used the thickest spacers.  I have pulled apart several '70 'Cudas that had springs in behind the panel as well.

On '71 R/Ts - the Challenger script emblem goes in 3 places:  tailpanel, and one on each fender.

If the car has R/T side stripes, then the emblems go below the character line on the fender.

If the car doesn't have R/T side stripes, then there are several examples of cars that came with a script emblem and R/T emblem below that on the fenders.

For the hood:  R/T decal for the dual scoop hood, Dodge triangle 'Fratzog' for the shaker.  No DODGE lettering on either, no R/T decal on the front of the shaker.

For the decklid:  DODGE emblem similar to the one on the grille, but adhesive backed, at the right rear of the decklid.  1971-only emblem and placement -- all other years used Challenger script (plus an R/T emblem in '70 only)

There is at least one other GK6 V-code in existence - JS23V1B416xxx.  Black interior, 4-speed, super track pack, shaker hood and not much else.  Have lost track of the whereabouts of it.  Last known to be in IL or MO

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
  • I'm Alan G...I'm a Mopar Addict
    • Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2013 - 07:30:18 PM »
  I would go with Alan's comments as he's reassembled a car more recently than me.

...and the "Understatement of the Year" award goes to..... :clapping:

I've restored/assembled more E Bodies by myself in the last seven years then most people on the face of the planet ! :woo:

http://www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com/PAST-RESTORATIONS.html 

Since 2006 I've restored 15 E bodies.  That averages two a year.....I would doubt any of the "big shops" have matched that ! :villagers:

Where's the "pat yourself" on the back smilely ? :roflsmiley:
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !
www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com

Offline hemi68charger

• Charger Power!!
    • Houston Mopar Club Connection
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2013 - 01:40:24 PM »
This morning.........

Hoss arranged for a flatbed to pick up the Challenger to get the front end aligned and then Monday take it to the paint shop to touch up things the previous painter screwed up and then get the stereo installed. I purposely left most of the interior out so the stereo shop wouldn't have to deal with it and, as well, prevent an accident on their part and screw something up. Then the car will come back to me for detail things here and there, for example, the chin spoilers and interior......

Again, thanks to a lot of you for your expertise on this E-body resto.. It is my first E-body to this depth and I'm learning a lot..
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013 - 01:42:06 PM by hemi68charger »
'69 Daytona 426 HEMI-727
'70 Superbird 440 - 4speed

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2013 - 02:59:18 PM »
I hope the body shop is going to paint the hood scoop inserts body colour :clapping:
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !

Offline hemi68charger

• Charger Power!!
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2013 - 03:48:18 PM »
I hope the body shop is going to paint the hood scoop inserts body colour :clapping:

I have already tried to talk him into that, but he doesn't want to............
'69 Daytona 426 HEMI-727

Offline 71shakercuda

« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2013 - 05:09:41 AM »
Beautiful car :2thumbs:

Offline 74 challenge

« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2013 - 07:40:58 AM »
Beautiful car love it and want it.

Personal opinion here but with the brown I am a huge fan of the steel wheels with the hubcaps.
1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2013 - 07:44:49 AM »
Looks nice...I think you missed the required black-out on the tail panel and hood trim... :sleeping:

Offline hemi68charger

• Charger Power!!
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2013 - 09:53:53 PM »
Looks nice...I think you missed the required black-out on the tail panel and hood trim... :sleeping:

Damn Alan !!! :banghead:

OK,,, so, the leading pinch weld of the hood? Like what I had on my '71 Charger R/T survivor? The vertical part you can see when looking directly into the grille? Now, the tail panel I'm not following you on............. In the spirit of my former '71, then I'm assuming I need to blacken out the pinch-weld of the lower rocker panel as well........... If so, I beat ya to the punch on that one..........  :grinno:

The latest........

I've gotten it back to the Mopar Hawkes' Nest to finish putting the car back together ( final turn ). Hoss got the car's front end aligned and had a kick-butt sound system put in...... Plus, the seats are all in now......

Poor '69 C500 in the back ground has turned into a table........... But, I have soft towels and fender covers down there Allen......  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013 - 09:58:51 PM by hemi68charger »
'69 Daytona 426 HEMI-727

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2013 - 10:08:08 PM »
Half of the tail panel trim is actually painted black. Similar on the headlight bezels, but it's done with black vinyl tape available from Performance Car Graphics.

Offline hemi68charger

• Charger Power!!
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2013 - 10:32:27 PM »
Half of the tail panel trim is actually painted black. Similar on the headlight bezels, but it's done with black vinyl tape available from Performance Car Graphics.

Ahhhhhh.... Ok, I'll bring that to Hoss' attention............   Then I'll give Dave P. a ring.......

Now, what about the rocker pinch weld? I know for a fact the '71 Chargers got it blacked out..............
'69 Daytona 426 HEMI-727

Offline JH27N0B

« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2013 - 12:43:51 AM »
The accent trim on the tail light panel that goes around the tail lights and below the trunk lock is blacked out on R/T's, it's chrome plated on non R/T's.  You can see that on my car and I double checked my reference pictures including Mike B of NJ's unrestored 2800 mile survivor GK6 hemi R/T and Wayne Voight's former 33,000 mile black hemi R/T to confirm. :faint:
The rocker pinch weld is blacked out except on a few colors (like black), in '70 it was supposed to be sprayed on for hardtops and brushed on for convertibles.  Not sure if the same held true in '71.

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2013 - 06:05:54 AM »
Yea I tend to agree with the tail panel being "all black"....I found a couple that had the silver so I did mine that way, think I will change it when I have the time. Mine had traces of silver, but never could confirm what's absolutly correct.

Offline YYZ

« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2013 - 02:58:41 PM »
Blackout on the 3-piece decklid moulding is usually painted, and goes up to the character line on the moulding.

Offline YYZ

« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2013 - 03:02:21 PM »
The above tailpanel was from an original '71 383 R/T, factory white with the flourescent orange R/T stripes and plaid interior like the V-code.

I still have the door for the car with what's left of the orange stripes...(a prior owner painted them black)