The engine just died when cruising on the freeway

Author Topic: The engine just died when cruising on the freeway  (Read 3616 times)

Offline widing'cuda

• 70 'cuda383 - BS23N0E
    • w i d i n g ' c u d a
The engine just died when cruising on the freeway
« on: July 08, 2012 - 11:27:26 AM »
I was out taking my 'cuda for a cruise and head out on the freeway. I shifted down to 2nd to get ut to speed up a hill and the car starter to studder. And at the top of the hill it died. Just like when you run out of gas. But i had a full tank. I checked the coil, distributor, etc and could not find any fault. I tried to start the engine again and it started up but then dies again. And after that I could not get it to start at all.

After a towtruck ride home I tried fireing it up again, when i got the cuda in the garage, and it started up after a few reves. My Garage is tilting a littel bit down. So the gas tank is higher then the engine.

I think it's the fuelpump ( I have a mechaical one), what do you guys think?

- Jørgen - Norwegian Mopar fanatic

1970 Plymouth 'Cuda 383 A833 8-3/4 3.23 suregrip
http://cuda.widing.biz/

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
Re: The engine just died when cruising on the freeway
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012 - 12:18:20 PM »
When it dies, look into the carb and move the throttle to see if you have fuel squirting out of the accelerator pump.  If you do, then the fuel pump is working.  Then, check to see if you have spark.  What ignition system are you running?  Are you using a MP orange box?  If so, swap it out for a known good unit.  The MP orange boxes have a very high failure rate.  New ballast resistors are about $4 at your local parts store.  You can also try that.  It would be a good idea to carry a spare ballast and ECU in the car with you.   
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012 - 12:20:08 PM by burdar »

Offline widing'cuda

• 70 'cuda383 - BS23N0E
    • w i d i n g ' c u d a
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012 - 12:21:25 PM »
I'm running MSD Ready to run Distributor and MSD blaster II Coil. The straing this is that now it's running fine. haven't dare to take for a spin, as I don't want to be break down in the middel of the road again. I found a service tag on my fuel pump. It sayes 12 83. So I think it's for 1983

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012 - 12:26:09 PM »
Maybe with all this heat we've been having, you just vapor locked?  If it happens again, you need to make sure you have fuel at the carb.  That's where I'd start.  Is the coil mounted vertically or on its side?  Some coils need to be mounted vertically or they'll leak the oil out and fail.

In the mean time, recheck all your electrical connections and make sure you're using dialectric grease on everything.

Offline widing'cuda

• 70 'cuda383 - BS23N0E
    • w i d i n g ' c u d a
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012 - 12:32:22 PM »
Maybe with all this heat we've been having, you just vapor locked?  If it happens again, you need to make sure you have fuel at the carb.  That's where I'd start.  Is the coil mounted vertically or on its side?  Some coils need to be mounted vertically or they'll leak the oil out and fail.

In the mean time, recheck all your electrical connections and make sure you're using dialectric grease on everything.

The strange ting is that I had some gas at the carb, but not much. The coil is mounthed on the fender vertically. I check and recheck every electrick connection. It had a bad connection at the distrubutor where the coil is connected, but i fixed that on the freeway and still it wouldn't start. But when I got it home it started up. I think it's becuase the car then stays down hill and not up hill like it did on the freeway.

And btw I live in Norway, Europe, so it's not a vapor locked. I have 383 CID, so only one fuel line. No return line.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012 - 12:34:31 PM by widing'cuda »

Offline 1of1

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012 - 01:27:03 PM »
We all know these cars are very simple, Fuel, Spark and air away we go!.......The Air is abundant ... :thumbsup:  , so if you are getting spark, its hot and on time...then it fuel... problems like you are having most likely are spark related.... The coil can act just like this before it gives up the gost....
1970 Cuda 383/335hp/4sp/V02
2006 FordGT40 Black Naked

Offline 1970 RT Challenger 1970

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2012 - 01:27:15 PM »
Try parking the car the other way with the gas tank lower than the engine and see if that makes any difference.

I had a + or - wire come off my blaster coil a few years ago just from a loose connector that needed to be crimped better. It was ok the day before and dead the next day. Just from the vibration.

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2012 - 01:32:22 PM »
I installed a mechanical fuel gauge before my carb years ago so I would if such an issue was fuel or electrical in nature.

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline wiging19

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2012 - 04:47:52 PM »
I replaced the sending unit on my car and also replaced the filter.   Since the filter was new it got the car up to speed on the freeway and got on it to get in a left hand lane.  Then I had the same thing happen to me.  The problem was the new filter wouldn't flow the amount of fuel I needed  at a higher speed.  After I drove it around town a bit more the filter opened up more and I had fuel starvation issues for about a week.  I'd let it sit for a while then it would run okay.   My story probably doesn't apply for to your problem but fuel starvation gave me the same issue.

Offline widing'cuda

• 70 'cuda383 - BS23N0E
    • w i d i n g ' c u d a
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2012 - 04:52:58 PM »
I don't have a fuel pressure gauge, sadly. But I guess I'll need that. My Coil is just about 1.5 years old MSD BLASTER II. And hasn't run more the 2-3000 miles. The fuel filter is about 2-3 years old. So I don't think that's the problem. As the car wouldn't start again as long as it was up hill. But when I gt i down hill it started up and ran fine.

Offline drewcrane

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2012 - 05:44:13 PM »
Ya know just shot in the dark here the more minds the better, I have had this happen and it was the connection on the starter relay,the wire for the run position came loose and worked until a bump or vibration knocked it loose,check your connections it might not be fuel related, just my :2cents:

Offline widing'cuda

• 70 'cuda383 - BS23N0E
    • w i d i n g ' c u d a
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2012 - 05:50:18 PM »
Ya know just shot in the dark here the more minds the better, I have had this happen and it was the connection on the starter relay,the wire for the run position came loose and worked until a bump or vibration knocked it loose,check your connections it might not be fuel related, just my :2cents:

No power issues. As the engien would crank when turned the key. it just didn't start

Offline 71chmark

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2012 - 05:58:10 PM »
Happened to me.  I had a piece of crud in my needle valve which caused it to flood out.
I may be schizophrenic,
but at least I have each other

Offline joelson6

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2012 - 04:40:51 PM »
ballast resistor? that's what it sounds like to me if your getting fuel.

check for the fuel, see if the pump is working. disconnect the coil wire, disconnect the fuel line from the carb and put a cup under it.
have someone crank the engine and see how much fuel comes out. you should have a steady stream.

you could still get vapor lock, if the vent line is clogged. check the vent line too.

Offline widing'cuda

• 70 'cuda383 - BS23N0E
    • w i d i n g ' c u d a
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2012 - 07:08:37 PM »
Don't have a ballast resistor. Electronic ignition.
Tried starting the cuda today and the carb didn't get any gas. So now i know it's the pump.