Author Topic: If you are thinking of Magnaflow stainless system read??  (Read 6239 times)

Offline woody9512

• 71 Billboard Cuda, Pistol Grip 4-speed.
If you are thinking of Magnaflow stainless system read??
« on: July 10, 2012 - 01:58:09 PM »
Just finished having my Magnaflow stainless system installed. Took about 3 1/2hrs by an experienced muffler guy, who is the muscle car exhaust guy in these parts, and was done at the shop with all the right equipment available. I was there the entire time and lots of modification had to be done but it turned out great and my new TTI tips eventally were positioned perfectly. With the small block 340 system #15851 here are the issues you can expect to run into so be prepared:
The system itself out of the box fit great from the TTI headers back with the X pipe to the mufflers....cleared my 4 speed stuff and mufflers positioned right where they need to be. Then the fun part started :swear: the system is apparently not made to go through the Cuda tip area via the rear valance and is actually made to go under the valance so exhaust pipes turn down away from that area. To install the system the exhaust pipes had to be cut above the read axles and the pipe angle repositioned and then pipes rewelded to meet the cutouts for the tips. Once on it looks great and you can't see the welds and it all has that nice stainless look. Just remember if you want this system there will be some modifications from mufflers back!!
That being said.................looks and sounds great. :cooldancing: :cooldancing:
Just wanted to pass my first hand experience on for those thinking about this particular system.
"Tim

Offline Killer_Mopar

Re: If you are thinking of Magnaflow stainless system read??
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012 - 03:35:35 PM »
I commented on this kit when it first came out years ago. My father's challenger and mine both have it. While I didnt have the same issue with the exhaust tips sitting too low, I did have an issue with the pipes lining up with my valance. I ended up cutting and indexing one of the pipes......ultimately, I thought it was acceptable as it looks and sounds great. But YES, this kit is not a simple bolt in operation.
70 Challenger R/T SE - The never-ending project........

Offline tman

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012 - 04:13:33 PM »
That would be a deal breaker for me.  Thanks for the info.....

Offline woody9512

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012 - 04:18:24 PM »
That the only problem I had as well with the system. Over axle tailpipes not lining up with the valance cutouts. 

Offline 72cudamaan

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012 - 05:21:02 PM »
That the only problem I had as well with the system. Over axle tailpipes not lining up with the valance cutouts.
Since you had a shop that has all the equipment, did you get a price of a completely custom bent system
by them? Just wondering if it would have been cheaper. I just never liked the "system in a box". Tried one once
and was totally disgusted with it.
If I cant fix it, it's broke

Andy  (phukker whither)

Offline woody9512

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012 - 05:33:53 PM »
I never asked about a custom system. Got a good deal on the box system but probably by time labour added a custom might have been cheaper!!

Offline cjm

• 70 Cuda - In Progress.....
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012 - 06:31:50 PM »
Did they install it from the tailpipe first or from the headers?

Offline woody9512

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012 - 07:46:16 PM »
He kept laying it out on the floor then puting it back into place. Last thing he fitted was the tips through the valance.  Think maybe tightened it from back to front?

Offline dodj

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2012 - 11:45:32 AM »
I put one of those systems under my car and thought it went in fairly easily. A little extra effort to get the pipes lined up perfectly with the collectors, but I figure an excellent system for the $362 I paid for it.
Scott
1973 Challenger  440 4 spd 
2007.5 3500 6.7 Cummins Diesel, Anarchy tuned.
Good friends don't let friends do stupid things. ........alone.

Offline woody9512

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2012 - 01:12:35 PM »
My system also went great from collectors to the mufflers which was the easy part. Problem was with the tailpipes that didn't line up with the Cuda valance cutouts.........as they were apparently made to turn down to go under the valance. Once it was on and lined up system looks and sounds great.

Offline cjm

• 70 Cuda - In Progress.....
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2012 - 02:59:39 PM »
I believe that the instructions for this set is to install from the tailpipes first (back to front), so all of the adjusting and cutting is at the x-pipe and the headers (collectors)..

Offline dodj

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2012 - 03:07:38 PM »
My system also went great from collectors to the mufflers which was the easy part. Problem was with the tailpipes that didn't line up with the Cuda valance cutouts.........as they were apparently made to turn down to go under the valance. Once it was on and lined up system looks and sounds great.
The tailpipes exit lower on a Challenger, which probably makes it a little easier for Challenger owners. :2cents:
Scott
1973 Challenger  440 4 spd 
2007.5 3500 6.7 Cummins Diesel, Anarchy tuned.
Good friends don't let friends do stupid things. ........alone.

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2012 - 05:10:32 PM »
I always wondered how the Cuda owners got the tips position perfectly through the valence holes without the tips banging.
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2012 - 05:45:18 PM »
I have the 2 1/2" stainless magnaflow system on my car . Works/sounds great!  :2thumbs:  My pipes exit just below the rear valance so I didn't need to worry about lining up with anything?  The one side required a bit of fab work to get it to line up with the header.
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline woody9512

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2012 - 07:43:45 PM »
"I always wondered how the Cuda owners got the tips position perfectly through the valence holes without the tips banging".
     I can tell you from the job I just got done that it was very tricky to get the Cuda tips fitted through that valance as not much room to spare that's for sure........but with lot's of patience and some tweaking they are now centered and look perfect!!

"Tim"